• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

A very important period coming up for Dier.
We are so thin in midfield he will get some games but I'm not quite sure we have missed him as much as many thought we would.
Sissoko has surprised nearly everybody and has added power and pace and I'm not sure Eric can match him in these vital department.
I like Dier the person and his mentality. However I am not sure he has the mobility to be a top class defensive midfielder. He gets turned too easily and gives away a lot of fouls. Unfortunately while he is playing in that position he is not developing his game at Centre back which is where I think he is more suited. Consequently he is not going to be top class in either position. He has to some extent sacrificed his development out of necessity for his club.

I like Dier the person and his meteorology. However I am not sure he has the mobility to be a top class defensive midfielder. He gets turned too easily and gives away a lot of fouls. Unfortunately while he is playing in that position he is not developing his game at Centre back which is where I think he is more suited. Consequently he is not going to be top class in either position. He has to some extent sacrificed his development out of necessity for his club.

His flaws makes him a worse CB than CM as there's nobody behind to mop up. He has a touch of Dawson about him in that he lets players get in behind him while he's watching the ball. Alderweireld does this too some times.

I'm pretty sure that in many of key games vs top 6 rivals, Dier is identified as a weak link to press and target for turnovers of possession.

He works best next to someone else with pace and strength, Dembele being the best we've had so far obviously.

He has indeed probably sacrificed further development in ONE single position for the benefit of Poch and the team and for that we have to be grateful overall...

Have to say I was really angry with him for his penalty against Chelsea in the Carabao. A highly paid professional footballer should be able to get the ball at least on target every time. That was really poor.

A very important period coming up for Dier.
We are so thin in midfield he will get some games but I'm not quite sure we have missed him as much as many thought we would.
Sissoko has surprised nearly everybody and has added power and pace and I'm not sure Eric can match him in these vital department.

Totally agree with this. Winks and Sissoko have really stepped up in his absence, but they are both playing way too many minutes. Dier is such a useful squad player b/c he can fix so many different holes in the squad. You can bring him on late to help kill off a game, you can change the shape without using a sub, and you can rely on him to be a quality starter at CM or as a defender in aa 3 at the back. We've even seen him drop into RB in emergency situations.

He's never going to be our superstar, but his versatility, tenacity, and reliability really sum up the Pochettino era at Spurs. Love the guy.

Have to say I was really angry with him for his penalty against Chelsea in the Carabao. A highly paid professional footballer should be able to get the ball at least on target every time. That was really poor.

He has this type of brain fart in his make up!
But which of us can honestly say we haven’t?

Its called pressure and it makes no difference whether its on target or not if you dont score. Its something you see all the time at every level of sport and life.

Kante is imo is the best blend..

Gueye looked good last night
Kante isn't enough of a footballer either. Fine if you want to play Mourinhoball or Leicesterball but entirely out of place in a team playing possession football as Chelsea's current issues have shown.

That said, he deserves credit for playing as well as he has in the Dembele position of the double pivot, but he's no Dembele.

OK

I'm beginning to see a pattern emerge here, Watson!
It's a fairly simple pattern. Both of the pivots need to be good passers and, more importantly, good at reading the development of the game and the move. They need to be able to control the game with the ball/with movement as well as chasing down the opposition and taking it from them.

Winks and Dier are both pretty good positionally and are both good on the ball. Winks might not tackle as well as Sissoko and Dier might not run as fast, but for our kind of football that's not really required. If we still had a fit Dembele we'd have a very difficult choice for two of three midfielders, but without him it's a very, very easy selection.

It's a fairly simple pattern. Both of the pivots need to be good passers and, more importantly, good at reading the development of the game and the move. They need to be able to control the game with the ball/with movement as well as chasing down the opposition and taking it from them.

Winks and Dier are both pretty good positionally and are both good on the ball. Winks might not tackle as well as Sissoko and Dier might not run as fast, but for our kind of football that's not really required. If we still had a fit Dembele we'd have a very difficult choice for two of three midfielders, but without him it's a very, very easy selection.
I think Sissoko breaks the press better than either of them. I also can't remember either Dier or Winks 'mopping up' as much as Sissoko - he's obviously good at reading danger. Sissoko's passing in the final third isn't too bad, obviously his shooting is poor.

I think Sissoko breaks the press better than either of them. I also can't remember either Dier or Winks 'mopping up' as much as Sissoko - he's obviously good at reading danger. Sissoko's passing in the final third isn't too bad, obviously his shooting is poor.
His reading of the game and passing are fairly terrible. If all you want is that Scott Parker kind of midfielder where they run around all over the place and lay the ball off to passers 5 yards away then that's OK. I don't think a team with our ambitions can afford to lose a passer from the starting 11.

As for breaking the press, I see him burst into space quite often when it's already broken, he's often the player our opponents sit off of too as he's low risk for them. I very rarely see him pressed and when he is I don't see him do anything with it other than give it to our right back (usually under pressure themselves). He has the physical attributes to be a press breaking player, but I don't think he has the skill or the understanding of what's around him for that.

Back