• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I'm with @StephenH on this one. It's got nothing to do with Dier. It could have been anyone, it doesn't matter. The point is that it's a pointless tackle that achieves little other than taking away the opportunity to make a tackle like that again, perhaps in a situation where it might prevent a goal.
If he'd waited 3 seconds, until Ramos was more aligned with the goal, it would make more sense, as he could have scored with the tackle.
But the tackle itself was pointless and an unnecessary card to pick up, regardless of who did it.

I'm with @StephenH on this one. It's got nothing to do with Dier. It could have been anyone, it doesn't matter. The point is that it's a pointless tackle that achieves little other than taking away the opportunity to make a tackle like that again, perhaps in a situation where it might prevent a goal.
If he'd waited 3 seconds, until Ramos was more aligned with the goal, it would make more sense, as he could have scored with the tackle.
But the tackle itself was pointless and an unnecessary card to pick up, regardless of who did it.

It was an unnecessary card because the tackle didn't warrant it. It wouldn't have got a yellow anywhere else on the pitch. I suspect that the only reason it did get one is because the ref was expecting it as much as Ramos and missed the tackle and gave the card for the reaction.

The whole referee thing is a complete lottery it doesn't matter what you do if the ref wants to show his cards he'll flash them. Alonso stamped on Trippier a far worse challenge and got away with it. Many foreign teams have foul play down to a fine art and spread them round the team.

You could argue that the experience that England most need to gain is international level bastardry. That and keeping the ball.

Ramos is a qunt, good on Eric for putting the boot in. I hope he keeps the aggression up, I think he's a better player when he's fired up.

Agreed and judging by his tackle on Ramos compared to the one that sliced Hazard/Fabregas in half at the Battle of the Bridge three years ago, his timing has improved..

To be fair, he should have been sent off against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the 2-2. That one was a bit of an exception though and his challenges/assaults there were just as glorious as the one on Ramos but in a very different way.
Yet he didn't. Which suggests he judged the line perfectly.

I think 50% of the time, especially in the premier league that isnt a foul, Ramos even said himself it was a good tackle.
Its then only a issue if you cant keep your discipline and get sent off for a second yellow which didnt happen

Dier hasnt been great this year, but he is seriously underrated, with any luck him and winks can build on their partnership with us, southgate and poch seem to be of the same opinion tactically.

We went from a 4-2-3-1 few years back where dier dropped in to make a 3 and the centre backs split
To a 5-2-2-1 where Rose and Walker went flying forward and provided width.
Now we and england are going to a 4-3-3 where you have ball players either side of a DM and Kane dropping and playing in speed merchants either side, then defensively dropping back to play 5-2-2-1 if under pressure, with hope 2 ball players can press as DM's and then shift ball upfield when it gets to them.

Dier is one of the few that means that with right 3 in midfield you can flex to both formations.

The interesting thing is what happens to Dele, and if Pochs move to get him comfortable deeper was part of this change in formation, as im not if dele naturally fits into a 4-3-3

I see i am getting some brick for my opinion of Dier. It's not like the majority of the people in the match threads use him as a scape goat when we lose :-]

In the context of the game that tackle by Dier on the biggest weasel in the Spanish team was key. Ramos had no idea that he was going to be smacked into the ground that hard (a fair tackle in my view, but potentially Dier’s feet were both just airborne so I can understand the yellow). Post tackle, Spain lost their fight and bite, whilst the England team fed off the change in atmosphere and really clicked. Dier changed the tempo and context of the game with that one reducer, and he looked a better player for it.

I see i am getting some brick for my opinion of Dier. It's not like the majority of the people in the match threads use him as a scape goat when we lose :-]

The only thing that you can usefully use OMTs to gauge is how detached from reality people are.

I thought it was a good, tough well timed tackle. Yep, a bit OTT in the oppo's own pen area, but still a good one.

Dier showed the lads were up for it - but if you're willing to give, you'll have to be willing to take - now, carry that determination into the games going forward, get the odd goal or two this season. His price will sky rocket !

It was a superb tackle - technically - and the Yellow was completely undeserved.

It snuffed out a threat before it had chance to develop, in a perfectly legal (and quite beautiful!) way.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

Then you can talk about the boost it will have given mentally, that it put Ramos back in his box, and it becomes even sweeter.

Just because referees are poor, we shouldnt talk as if Dier did anything wrong there. He didnt. I understand there are occasions that will backfire - but that is no reason to not play the game properly.

It was a superb tackle - technically - and the Yellow was completely undeserved.

It snuffed out a threat before it had chance to develop, in a perfectly legal (and quite beautiful!) way.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

Then you can talk about the boost it will have given mentally, that it put Ramos back in his box, and it becomes even sweeter.

Just because referees are poor, we shouldnt talk as if Dier did anything wrong there. He didnt. I understand there are occasions that will backfire - but that is no reason to not play the game properly.

Better now?;)

Football 2018 will do this to you.
Wenger was the killer of the British game with him continually complaining about tackles.
2016 started the end of this type of tackle and it is now dead.
The referees don’t know whether to stick or twist.
If you are going to take a yellow for the team don’t do it thier area also, it turns it in to a dumb play, especially when you may need it later if you are a defensive midfielder.

Last edited:
Back