• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Tottenham Hotspur are poised to sign Sporting Lisbon’s English youngster Eric Dier.

England Under-21 defender Dier rejected a contract extension with Portuguese club Sporting and Spurs hope to complete a £4 million deal to take him to White Hart Lane.

Dier, 20, was born in Cheltenham, but moved to Portugal with his mother and father when he was aged 10. His parents moved back to England in 2010, but Dier stayed behind after joining Sporting’s academy.

Despite being asked to play for Portugal, Dier chose to play for England and has represented his birth country at under-18, u19, u20 and u21 levels.

Dier joined Everton on loan in January 2011, but returned to Sporting to make 30 senior appearances for the club.

Tottenham have already signed left-back Ben Davies and goalkeeper Michel Vorm from Swansea City, and are hopeful Dier will become their third new player of the summer.

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ing-Lisbon-defender-Eric-Dier-in-4m-deal.html

Interesting target it seems.

Have anyone seen him play enough to know if he's ready to be a squad player for us at this time? I would guess at 20 he should be for us to be interested in bringing him in.

Interesting target it seems.

Have anyone seen him play enough to know if he's ready to be a squad player for us at this time? I would guess at 20 he should be for us to be interested in bringing him in.

It's a good age for a 4th CB, perhaps replacing Dawson.

I'd still be concerned with Kaboul being our 2nd CB though.

It's a good age for a 4th CB, perhaps replacing Dawson.

I'd still be concerned with Kaboul being our 2nd CB though.

If we sign a very young centre back as one of our 4 centre back options I really hope we're planning to bring in two centre backs this summer with someone more experienced also coming in.

That was the short answer, surely he qualifies as "home grown" purely and simply by holding British passport and being an England u-21 international, at this point I don't think his time at Sporting makes a difference.

That was the short answer, surely he qualifies as "home grown" purely and simply by holding British passport and being an England u-21 international, at this point I don't think his time at Sporting makes a difference.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/5560131/home-grown-rule-introduced

"The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.

I don't think nationality comes into it at all.

If he qualifies as home grown it would have to be because his time at English clubs before moving to Sporting counted at being trained in England before the age of 21. I thought the age was between 16 and 21, but I could be wrong. That could have been the UEFA regulations, not the PL regulations.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/5560131/home-grown-rule-introduced

I don't think nationality comes into it at all.

If he qualifies as home grown it would have to be because his time at English clubs before moving to Sporting counted at being trained in England before the age of 21. I thought the age was between 16 and 21, but I could be wrong. That could have been the UEFA regulations, not the PL regulations.

So the way I read that is that we can have 8 Italian, Spanish and French players as our homegrown players as long as they have been with us for 3 years between the age of 16 and 21 but an England u-21 international won't count.

And to quote Scudamore "We think it will give clubs an extra incentive to invest in youth. We think that one of the benefits will be that it will help the England team." errr NO!!!

So the way I read that is that we can have 8 Italian, Spanish and French players as our homegrown players as long as they have been with us for 3 years between the age of 16 and 21 but an England u-21 international won't count.

And to quote Scudamore "We think it will give clubs an extra incentive to invest in youth. We think that one of the benefits will be that it will help the England team." errr NO!!!

correct.

which is why Sigurdsson counted, Fabregas too etc.

Yes.

I'm guessing you're only disagreeing with the England team part of that statement? I think you're wrong, as although clubs could have 8 Italian, Spanish and French players as their HG players that's very unlikely. And although foreign players in English academies/youth teams is quite common there will obviously be a lot more English players at English clubs than at clubs outside England, so even though this doesn't exclusively protect the interests of English players it does favour them.

It's illegal under EU law to (positively) discriminate by nationality.

The homegrown rule was introduced as a kind of fudge.

But all it has really done is lead teams to bringing over foreign players at a younger age e.g. Bentaleb, Veljkovic, these new Nigerian and Romanian kids we've signed this summer, Siggy, Schneiderlin etc.

It's illegal under EU law to (positively) discriminate by nationality.

The homegrown rule was introduced as a kind of fudge.

But all it has really done is lead teams to bringing over foreign players at a younger age e.g. Bentaleb, Veljkovic, these new Nigerian and Romanian kids we've signed this summer, Siggy, Schneiderlin etc.

For us at least isn't this just a result of an increased focus on youth development and the presence of various directors of football? Didn't Arnesen bring in a solid batch of players like that when he first took over for example? Seems like a pretty standard approach by successful academies like Ajax predating the home grown regulations...

If clubs were really adapting that heavily to the home grown regulations Chelsea wouldn't be sending youth players on loan to Holland I think.

For us at least isn't this just a result of an increased focus on youth development and the presence of various directors of football? Didn't Arnesen bring in a solid batch of players like that when he first took over for example? Seems like a pretty standard approach by successful academies like Ajax predating the home grown regulations...

If clubs were really adapting that heavily to the home grown regulations Chelsea wouldn't be sending youth players on loan to Holland I think.

Chelsea used Lampard, Terry, Cole and Cahill as 4 of their "homegrown" players last season so didn't need to use any overseas players.

Chelsea used Lampard, Terry, Cole and Cahill as 4 of their "homegrown" players last season so didn't need to use any overseas players.

Not my point. Young (u21) players coming in won't have to be registered as part of the 25 man squad anyway, if they're homegrown registering them won't make a difference.

It seemed to me that GB was saying that clubs were bringing in foreigners as a younger so that they would later qualify as home grown players, I largely disagree with that although it probably happens sporadically. He was also saying that this was all this regulation has really done, something I also disagree with.

Just touched down in London apparently

Bt4Pt_7IQAAgl_q.jpg

Back