• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Very good point. I haven't seen Apple sponsoring anything outside of charitable and socially-oriented events, so don't think sponsoring a football stadium is their cup of tea.
It's because they don't need to. A company sponsors a sports team either to gain prestige or to increase brand awareness in specific markets. Apple already have huge brand awareness across the entire World and putting their name to our stadium/shirt/both is not going to increase the prestige of their brand as they are already seen to be one of the highest prestige brands out there, or result in them increasing awareness of their brand as they are already one of the biggest known few brands in the World.

The company who sponsor us are likely to either be a very new brand from the Middle/Far East owned/backed by Sovereign Wealth fund and looking for prestige or a brand already established in a certain market/markets looking to expand in new markets where there is little awareness of them.

That's the thing: I know that if there's anything Levy does remotely well (grrrrr), it's selling things for far, far more than could reasonably be expected for 'em: he's in a class of his own here, definitely. However, I do wonder why we can't get more than the sum Arsenal received in 2012: is it because (As you suggested) he's looking for a lump-sum payment (or perhaps a payment spread out over a short period)? Or is it because we tend to overrate the effects the new NFL-tailored stadium will have on the marketability gap between us and Arsenal? Something to ponder, I think.

Ha! Definitely one to ponder but I have the faith that he will be extract the best deal he possibly can. I would hazard a guess that it will be due to payment structure and also anciliiary benefits. If our improvement on the pitch continues, then he will be trying to factor in CL etc.... Notwithstanding that, we could be overrating the effects of the new NFL deal, but I don't think so!

The issue here though is that a brand like Apple wouldn't really get any extra brand awareness by sponsoring THFC.

I was joking about Apple. My point is simply that one of the reasons why we have not agreed a deal yet is because there are more things than just absolute amount (such as payment terms) that could mean we take a lower amount now than the absolute highest number that is on offer. So comparing our deal to Arsenal's or any other stadia in the world would have to be taken in that context.

I read something a while back on this that I will try to find. In the meantime, this article, whilst a little old, covers some of this ground

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/25/stadium-naming-rights-liverpool-Chel53a-spurs

Thanks for sharing. An interesting article and it would be foolish to discount the effect of renaming an existing stadium. However, it's also a new NFL venue and although on the same site, is not WHL.

As for whether a prestige company would be interested in the naming rights; Mercedes sponsor 2 stadia in the NFL and other companies as big as Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Toyota and HSBC also sponsor stadia. Whether they would see any value in association with Spurs is a different matter, but I think the fact that our stadium would also be used for NFL changes the game a bit. Time will tell.

Thanks for sharing. An interesting article and it would be foolish to discount the effect of renaming an existing stadium. However, it's also a new NFL venue and although on the same site, is not WHL.

As for whether a prestige company would be interested in the naming rights; Mercedes sponsor 2 stadia in the NFL and other companies as big as Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Toyota and HSBC also sponsor stadia. Whether they would see any value in association with Spurs is a different matter, but I think the fact that our stadium would also be used for NFL changes the game a bit. Time will tell.

I agree that NFL will make a difference. I think the fact that the new stadium is next door to the current once means that we will all still call it WHL. Maybe the first will compensate for the other but I think that we will get less for the stadium if we had the same deal with the NFL but were building in a completely new location.

I agree that NFL will make a difference. I think the fact that the new stadium is next door to the current once means that we will all still call it WHL. Maybe the first will compensate for the other but I think that we will get less for the stadium if we had the same deal with the NFL but were building in a completely new location.

We will and rightly so, but the wave of plastics that wash up in the wake of impending success may not (proud of that one ;)). The fact that it is not the same stadium really will mean that it is something new in the eyes of all but the core support. I'm not sure that the overlapping location will put sponsors off and the brand new shiny stadium with all the addons (NFL etc) will be enough I think. We are about to be the new thing on the block and Levy will milk it for every red cent.

We will and rightly so, but the wave of plastics that wash up in the wake of impending success may not (proud of that one ;)). The fact that it is not the same stadium really will mean that it is something new in the eyes of all but the core support. I'm not sure that the overlapping location will put sponsors off and the brand new shiny stadium with all the addons (NFL etc) will be enough I think. We are about to be the new thing on the block and Levy will milk it for every red cent.

Have a read of the Guardian piece I liked to above.

The issue here though is that a brand like Apple wouldn't really get any extra brand awareness by sponsoring THFC.

I worked in the media all my life and owe my living and pension to advertising, but I've never got it myself. I buy a product based on my own experience or recommendation of people I trust. Promoting a new product or opening in a new area I understand but I suppose there are enough people out there who can be seduced by it.

I worked in the media all my life and owe my living and pension to advertising, but I've never got it myself. I buy a product based on my own experience or recommendation of people I trust. Promoting a new product or opening in a new area I understand but I suppose there are enough people out there who can be seduced by it.
Isn't it more about the continual presence of advertising rather than a one off?

I don't see an ad for an iPhone and think "Oooh, I want one of them" but Apple being consistently in the media makes me consider them along with the other big players as an automatic choice that I at least have to intentionally dismiss for a reason (reason being I don't like IOS but that's another matter). This is obviously different for products such as food and drink - quite often their advertising is used for "near impulse" buys.

Look at cars too - there's an added value in prestige that comes (mostly) from advertising. Mercedes don't make noticeably better cars than BMW who only make marginally better cars than Audi. Yet there's a hierarchy of prestige along those brands - Mercedes make extra money per car just because of a brand created by advertising. People want a Mercedes, would settle for a BMW and if they're skint get stuck with an Audi, yet within very small tolerances the cars are the same.

Isn't it more about the continual presence of advertising rather than a one off?

I don't see an ad for an iPhone and think "Oooh, I want one of them" but Apple being consistently in the media makes me consider them along with the other big players as an automatic choice that I at least have to intentionally dismiss for a reason (reason being I don't like IOS but that's another matter). This is obviously different for products such as food and drink - quite often their advertising is used for "near impulse" buys.

Look at cars too - there's an added value in prestige that comes (mostly) from advertising. Mercedes don't make noticeably better cars than BMW who only make marginally better cars than Audi. Yet there's a hierarchy of prestige along those brands - Mercedes make extra money per car just because of a brand created by advertising. People want a Mercedes, would settle for a BMW and if they're skint get stuck with an Audi, yet within very small tolerances the cars are the same.

Of course I understand the rational behind the exercise, but I would never buy a product or service based on the fact of Spurs having them as their sponsor and have not wanted to have something because someone else has since I was a callow young man.

Come live in America, look at infomercials (everyone knows infomercial products are brick, but they still sell), advertising sells, its actually a key component of Apple's success. Apple advertises constantly, you can't walk around NYC without seeing some huge fudging billboard from Apple.

I trust Levy probably has his commercial partner in mind already.

you can't walk around NYC without seeing some huge fudgeing billboard from Apple.

You get the same problem in Somerset too

somerset_farmhouse_cider_sign.jpg

Come live in America, look at infomercials (everyone knows infomercial products are brick, but they still sell), advertising sells, its actually a key component of Apple's success. Apple advertises constantly, you can't walk around NYC without seeing some huge fudgeing billboard from Apple.

I trust Levy probably has his commercial partner in mind already.
We wouldn't have started the project without a fairly firm idea of what could be made out of naming rights - how else could we have calculated whether it was affordable? In getting and idea from the market about possible values, I'm fairly sure there would have been a few people at least raising their eyebrows at the prospect.

Without going totally off topic, I can't remember ever buying anything because of advertising, ever. But then I guess I am not your typical consumer

Of course advertising works; at the supermarket you have a choice of brands and are less likely to buy one you haven't heard of. You just don't always realise it. Most cupboards are full of well known brands rather than the cheaper alternative.

Of course advertising works; at the supermarket you have a choice of brands and are less likely to buy one you haven't heard of. You just don't always realise it. Most cupboards are full of well known brands rather than the cheaper alternative.

When it comes to food, more often than not the cheaper brands are far inferior products (less meat/fruit/berries, more sugar/salt/crap). I care about what I eat (to a certain extent). Strange how a lot people are trying to save pennies on what they eat, but wouldn't be caught dead in off brand clothing where the savings would really amount to something.

Everyone is influenced by advertising whether it's in your face, guerilla or subliminal

You watches a tv show and theirs advertising in the show

You walk down the street and there are cars with brands written on them

You see litter on the floor its advertising something

You can't hide from it

The key with any advertising is brand perception and value for money

Back