• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

I think it is rather sad when teams (of any discipline) are moved from their local area. I guess the people of Jacksonville would not be too happy about the London Jaguars.

American sports (largely), don't have the same level of local connection.

Isn't he worth a similar amount to Lewis?

He has a car business worth at least a couple of billion and the Jaguars could fetch another billion, but he doesn't have much in terms of available money. Grossly overpaid for Fulham (estimated £150-200 million) and won't get half of that now.

Yeah I've heard. I'm guessing that is more a result of the franchise phenomenon rather than fans lack of affinity to a local team.

College football is very big in the States and I'm led to believe even bigger than the NFL (in terms of attendances) and this is where the local affinities lay - I'm no follower of the sport though so happy to be corrected

Bad example then I guess but in general it must be hard to take if a local team uproots and moves address.

There hasn't been that many moves of major franchises. They've usually just expanded the leagues. There's a few from MLB that caused a bit of a stir because they'd been founded as far back as the 1870s and been around for 70-80 years, like the Atlanta Braves (used to be Boston Braves), Oakland Athletics (used to be Kansas City Athletics, but founded as Philadelphia Athletics) and the San Francisco Giants (previously the New York Giants).

The LA Dodgers (previously Brooklyn Dodgers) is MK Dons times 10 though. After 75 years in Brooklyn they moved to LA in 1958 because local authorities wouldn't help out with construction of a new stadium. Free stadiums are usually why moves happen. You don't expect billionaire owners to invest any of their own money or even the team's.

There hasn't been that many moves of major franchises. They've usually just expanded the leagues. There's a few from MLB that caused a bit of a stir because they'd been founded as far back as the 1870s and been around for 70-80 years, like the Atlanta Braves (used to be Boston Braves), Oakland Athletics (used to be Kansas City Athletics, but founded as Philadelphia Athletics) and the San Francisco Giants (previously the New York Giants).

The LA Dodgers (previously Brooklyn Dodgers) is MK Dons times 10 though. After 75 years in Brooklyn they moved to LA in 1958 because local authorities wouldn't help out with construction of a new stadium. Free stadiums are usually why moves happen. You don't expect billionaire owners to invest any of their own money or even the team's.
I am being educated here :). Would expansion teams be new teams to the league?

levy_3369488b.jpg

I am being educated here :). Would expansion teams be new teams to the league?
That is 100 % correct. I have to admit I don't follow NFL a lot, but I watch a lot of NHL (ice hockey). They've expanded a lot since the 90's, and have in the last roughly 20 years moved franchises as Minnesota to Dallas, Atlanta (was an expansion team) to Winnipeg (some years before that NHL moved the Winnipeg franchise to Arizona...), Quebec to Colorado and Hartford to Carolina.

One point about Daniel Levy. The fact that our rivals' fans don't like him and the fact that he has irked the likes of Man United means he must be doing something right. Take those clowns at West Ham for example, must people think of them as a bit of a joke. The comments about Levy being dodgy are just jealousy from other clubs. Even if he isn't 100% squeaky clean, name one rich and successful businessman who hasn't employed underhanded tactics at some point in their careers? I believe you should never have to be rude, but business is not always about making friends and being nicey nicey.

One point about Daniel Levy. The fact that our rivals' fans don't like him and the fact that he has irked the likes of Man United means he must be doing something right. Take those clowns at West Ham for example, must people think of them as a bit of a joke. The comments about Levy being dodgy are just jealousy from other clubs. Even if he isn't 100% squeaky clean, name one rich and successful businessman who hasn't employed underhanded tactics at some point in their careers? I believe you should never have to be rude, but business is not always about making friends and being nicey nicey.

Levy has transformed the club from bottom to top and other clubs fans wish they had someone like him. Give me the name of another chairman who has so utterly changed a teams fortunes on and off the pitch?

West Ham... always have been and always will be a laughing stock

As I ask "lazy questions" I will go ahead and ask if anyone has mentioned the supposed interview with Levy regarding transfers this summer and him replying that we will probably not do anymore deals until the last 2 weeks of the window.

As I ask "lazy questions" I will go ahead and ask if anyone has mentioned the supposed interview with Levy regarding transfers this summer and him replying that we will probably not do anymore deals until the last 2 weeks of the window.

I take it as "as things stand, nothing is likely to happen for a while as players and clubs are still holding out for better deals".

Levy has transformed the club from bottom to top and other clubs fans wish they had someone like him. Give me the name of another chairman who has so utterly changed a teams fortunes on and off the pitch?

West Ham... always have been and always will be a laughing stock

I don't think there is a chairman in world football like him. A team that languished in 12th -14th for years with the same capacity of 30k odd as we have today, to be where we are, spending what we spend on a regular basis, a CL Quarter Final, best training ground in Europe...etc the guy worked miracles I honestly believe it, especially with no real sugar daddy because we all know Lewis isn't pumping cash in.

Back