• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

I can't believe, people want Levy gone because he doesn't spend more than we make. I'm very happy and proud of the way our club is run. Do you wish we had Tony Fernandes instead.
Look where we were when ENIC took over and where we are now, along with the quality players we've had at the club and all whilst only having a 36k stadium.
Apparently the only reason we got Dembele was because we were the only club willing to pay the whole fee upfront.
Don't expect the top of the range training ground was cheap either!

This. =D>
Thankfully its a minority who want him gone. Albeit a very loud and annoying one.

This. =D>
Thankfully its a minority who want him gone. Albeit a very loud and annoying one.

I don't necessarily want him gone i just think maybe we need to look at someone handling the bigger transfers at the club or look possibly at a director of football again because Levy's tactics are out of date when it comes to the crunch and money is clearly there to be spent. i think sometimes Levy has enough on his plate and i question how much he actually knows about players. I think he's possibly afraid of spending more than 10 mill on a player because he got burnt with the Bent and Bentley deals which ended up losing the club money. There's no doubt that the purchases of JV, Dembele, Lloris in the summer were good business but how long have we needed a quality striker and he's not delivered

Last edited:
I genuinely believe that Daniel Levy is a great Chairman. He seems to be working to a sustainable business model and I am hopeful that our current financial arrangements will enable us to meet the proposed Fifa fair play regulations.

I realise that the transfer market is extremely fluid and you often have to wait for one key signing for the remaining deals to drop into place.

The one thing about Levy's dealings in the transfer market that frustrate me the most is how we always seem to struggle at the start of a season. We were poor in the first two games last season, and only marginally better this term. I would love us to start a season with a settled squad, as a season contains 38 games, not 36. As for the January "Window", it should only be used to fill gaps, such as our recent acquisition of Holtby, or to gamble on survival, promotion, or European qualification.

The creation of a world class training venue, the NDP and a sustained assault on CL football, is a fantastic achievement for a club our size, so I for one, are more than happy with Levy's stewardship of our club.

I don't necessarily want him gone i just think maybe we need to look at someone handling the transfers at the club or look possibly at a director of football again because Levy's tactics are out of date when money is clearly there to be spent. If you have a DOF they are planning long term and have a budget to work with, i think sometimes Levy has enough on his plate with the stadium and training complex and i question how much he actually knows about players. I think he's possibly afraid of spending more than 10 mill on a player because he got burnt with the Bent and Bentley deals a few years back which ended up losing the club money.

Them two statements contradict themselves.
Im not digging you out just trying to have a debate,
but in this day and age where money is tight - Do you really think that we have enough money to be building a brand new 56,000 stadium and also to have a state of the art training ground just completed.
I cannot see us spending one penny more than we make for the above reason. & for that I completely understand why DL didnt enter the Jan transfer window.
Also, what is the point of having an academy/Youth team if we are not to use it?

Like most things Spurs, Levy is something of a curate's egg for me. I haven't really ever forgiven him for the Jol/Ramos fiasco, but I'd say the positives have generally outweighed the negatives in other respects, and I've no doubt we could have ended up with far worse at the helm. I'd like to see a bit more emphasis on the culture of a football club, rather than that of a business, but that's just the times we live in.

I don't necessarily want him gone i just think maybe we need to look at someone handling the bigger transfers at the club or look possibly at a director of football again because Levy's tactics are out of date when it comes to the crunch and money is clearly there to be spent. i think sometimes Levy has enough on his plate and i question how much he actually knows about players. I think he's possibly afraid of spending more than 10 mill on a player because he got burnt with the Bent and Bentley deals which ended up losing the club money. There's no doubt that the purchases of JV, Dembele, Lloris in the summer were good business but how long have we needed a quality striker and he's not delivered

Ok two questions;

Who would the new person who deals with the bigger transfers report to and whose transfer/financial policy would they follow?

If "Levy's tactics are out of date" which chairman or club would you say have it right and have modern transfer tactics?

I can't believe, people want Levy gone because he doesn't spend more than we make. I'm very happy and proud of the way our club is run. Do you wish we had Tony Fernandes instead.
Think we need to put things in prospective here. While we are enjoying being amongst the top four and a possible CL qualifiction, QPR on the other hand are in a relegation battle. Fernandes has no choice but to go for the scatter gun approach in the transfer market to save his own hide.

Well we have supporters who are convinced he will walk and now those that think he will be sacked, you have to laugh at those who over-react

I imagine your statement is correct. But what's it got to do with my post?

I guess we have supporters that can't read. I wasn't saying I think he will be sacked, I'm saying there is no long term "project" that allows AVB to be the first manager Levy doesn't sack if he fails to meet expectations. The point of my post is Levy isn't going to change for AVB, despite what some people think.

I think we will get 4th, therefore I can't imagine him getting sacked.

I really hope for the sake of your sanity you're joking.

I'm married to a Palace fan and even they're disgusted with the purchase.

Yes. It was based on Ade not being here, Defoe injured and Dempsey... well he's a bit brick really.

But there are far worse players than Phillips we have been linked with. He did well in the PL and still going in the championship at his age.

I imagine your statement is correct. But what's it got to do with my post?

I guess we have supporters that can't read. I wasn't saying I think he will be sacked, I'm saying there is no long term "project" that allows AVB to be the first manager Levy doesn't sack if he fails to meet expectations. The point of my post is Levy isn't going to change for AVB, despite what some people think.

I think we will get 4th, therefore I can't imagine him getting sacked.

Levy isn't Abramovich though.

Jol got quite a bit of time before he was let go. Ramos was only let go when it was obvious that it wouldn't work out and that he had lost the dressing room. Redknapp was a harsh firing, but it wasn't after a short period of time.

I really don't think Levy will let AVB go even if we finish 6th or thereabouts. Especially seeing as he's made a pretty considerable overhaul of the squad this season.

Getting in a striker aint gonna happen either. Guess we are stuck at stalemate. We needed a short term solution he would have been good.

I guess we now all know why Harry got in the likes of Saha in January - yet he got lambasted for it. Same brick different bucket.

=D>

Levy isn't Abramovich though.

Jol got quite a bit of time before he was let go. Ramos was only let go when it was obvious that it wouldn't work out and that he had lost the dressing room. Redknapp was a harsh firing, but it wasn't after a short period of time.

I really don't think Levy will let AVB go even if we finish 6th or thereabouts. Especially seeing as he's made a pretty considerable overhaul of the squad this season.

He has gone through a lot of managers though. Jol was sacked just months after finishing 5th in the league. Ultimately doesn't Levy have to take responsibility if the manager fails as he is the one who hires them?

I'd like to reiterate that I think Levy has done a good job on the whole, but he seems to be beyond criticism with a few posters on GG. I have explained in detail why I believe his transfer policy is flawed in certain areas, particularly leaving deals so late, but the reponse to this is that is one of the reasons why we are so high up in the financial table despite not having a massive stadium. Well yes that is true but it is not the only reason why we manage to live within our means. It also has something to do with our high ticket prices and the commerical deals that Levy to his credit manages to secure for us.

did Redknapp get stick for not bringing in a striker/only getting Saha?

can't say i recall that - I backed the Saha signing at the time and i think most people didn't consider a new striker as a primary concern as we were playing with one up top and Adebayor was doing the business. Defoe was a good back up and we only really needed to replace the out going Pav

did Redknapp get stick for not bringing in a striker/only getting Saha?

can't say i recall that - I backed the Saha signing at the time and i think most people didn't consider a new striker as a primary concern as we were playing with one up top and Adebayor was doing the business. Defoe was a good back up and we only really needed to replace the out going Pav

To be fair, a large number of his signings/targets why derided, Saha and Nelsen included. The old favourite used to be he couldn't wait to sign Joe Cole, well isn't it obvious now that he too had to work within a budget just like AVB does?

I actually disagree the 2nd part. People were calling for us to sign a striker last January, although not quite as vigourously as this year. Also in the 2010/11 season people were desperate for us to sign another striker as Crouch, Defoe and Pav were all misfiring.

He has gone through a lot of managers though. Jol was sacked just months after finishing 5th in the league. Ultimately doesn't Levy have to take responsibility if the manager fails as he is the one who hires them?

I'd like to reiterate that I think Levy has done a good job on the whole, but he seems to be beyond criticism with a few posters on GG. I have explained in detail why I believe his transfer policy is flawed in certain areas, particularly leaving deals so late, but the reponse to this is that is one of the reasons why we are so high up in the financial table despite not having a massive stadium. Well yes that is true but it is not the only reason why we manage to live within our means. It also has something to do with our high ticket prices and the commerical deals that Levy to his credit manages to secure for us.

I agree that ultimately the chairman (/DoF) is responsible for the managers they hire. Chairmen like Levy have to make those decisions without the advantage of hindsight though and they're not easy decisions to make.

I don't disagree with the second part of your post. When I (normally) react is when people claim that Levy doesn't know what he's doing, that his transfer policy is useless etc. I don't think he's infallible, but when people claim that he's incapable of realizing simple facts then I will defend him.

There are real advantages to getting deals done early, but there are also real advantages to trying to leave it late and haggle to get better deals. You can disagree about the way these different advantages and disadvantages are weighted against each other and what is most important, but I do appreciate when, like you did here, people acknowledge that there are real benefits to his strategy too.

To be fair, a large number of his signings/targets why derided, Saha and Nelsen included. The old favourite used to be he couldn't wait to sign Joe Cole, well isn't it obvious now that he too had to work within a budget just like AVB does?

I actually disagree the 2nd part. People were calling for us to sign a striker last January, although not quite as vigourously as this year. Also in the 2010/11 season people were desperate for us to sign another striker as Crouch, Defoe and Pav were all misfiring.

backed the Nelsen signing as well :lol:, actually thought he came in and done what he was there to do when called upon - solid pro, good signing.

won't delve too deep in to my thoughts re Redknapps transfer policy, but i will say his on record list of targets left a lot to be desired for. regardless of what the budget was, between him and Levy we built a strong side - last season we had an almost complete and balanced first XI, which we should have got more out of (but let's not go down that road ;) )

backed the Nelsen signing as well :lol:, actually thought he came in and done what he was there to do when called upon - solid pro, good signing.

won't delve too deep in to my thoughts re Redknapps transfer policy, but i will say his on record list of targets left a lot to be desired for. regardless of what the budget was, between him and Levy we built a strong side - last season we had an almost complete and balanced first XI, which we should have got more out of (but let's not go down that road ;) )

I think you have a selctive memory if you believe there wasn't derision for the signings of Saha and Nelsen. What manager in world football besides Wenger won't spend money if it's offered to him? I can't honestly believe Redknapp wouldn't have had better players on his list if the money was available to sign them.

sorry i mean I backed the Nelsen signing - im aware most people seemed to knock it.

but last season the first team didn't need much (if any) work and when you take in to account the manager seemingly not wanting to commit himself beyond the summer i can certainly see why Levy was reluctant to back him beyond a certain amount.

the first transfer window under Redknapp we spend 40mil, the next window or two we were possibly still feeling the effects of that outlay and then after that it was unclear whether Redknapp was committed to the club

I have given you some, you are choosing to dismiss them out of some misplaced loyalty to our current strikers. Or I give you some names and you say we'll that's only 2.

I don't know how much football you watch, but are you honestly saying to me that you can't name ANY strikers out there who cold improve us and are attainable?

Have you watched Michu play this season? It's clear that he is a very good finisher and better in that respect than any striker currently at Spurs.

You have a point about Michu. But it's not a stick you can beat Levy with - at least, not directly. Very much a failing of the football staff. Sherwood is on record as saying that he went to watch Michu last season and decided that he wasn't right for us.

As to Benteke and the like, I fully agree. We need to be finding the future stars rather than vainly chasing players that are overvalued or who want wages that we can't afford. Our scouts are not doing the business. Major overhaul required.

Back