• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

If you are going to hire Jose, you do so knowing he will have his demands.
Tbf, he wanted a number 9 and it could have just been on loan like Vinicius
I do seem to remember Jose openly thanking Levy at the end of that window for getting him a player of Bergwijn’s ability.

A loan for a CF would have been a great way to go but unfortunately we had Hitchen at the time and not Paratici.

I'm going to take a slightly controversial view on Jose, I'm not sure it's as "wrong" as people think, and here's why

- People have a very simplistic view of a football club, i.e. often purely on-pitch (which to be fair is the final objective), the reality is a club has to grow it's finances, build a brand and deliver on pitch. United as example is pretty good at first two and brick at the last for a decade.

Jose to me was intended to do a few things, 1/Get the trophy hoodoo off our back, 2/Raise the profile of the club (we had more media coverage under Jose than ever before), 3/Show ambition (Kane loved him, it was a sign of the club going big)

In the end he failed because he's didn't do #1 (win something), but I do wonder if Conte would have come to Spurs if Jose hadn't? while Jose was/is on the back end of his career, he is still a huge name and prior to Conte probably the biggest name to ever manage us.

It's a fair comment but I still struggle to find much other than the column inches that make it a success with hindsight. Arguably Poch grew our profile more before his appointment and under the constraints he had I'll ways see his tenure as a bigger overall success than picking up league cup.

Absolutely before he came you could see the logic based on what you've suggested. If he wasn't potentially on the slide we probably wouldn't have attracted him. Ultimately though his style has to bring results and whilst I'll never understand the footballing motive to sack him before a final we were getting the bad Mourinho of blaming others and not adapting his style before we got the silverware and results that help get the buy in from players and fans.

I'm sure there has been a pattern where we go from charismatic coach playing attractive football to tactical trophy winning manager to try to take a team on the up to the next level and then back to the coach type when it fails. Maybe Conte will be the right mix of both?

It's a fair comment but I still struggle to find much other than the column inches that make it a success with hindsight. Arguably Poch grew our profile more before his appointment and under the constraints he had I'll ways see his tenure as a bigger overall success than picking up league cup.

Absolutely before he came you could see the logic based on what you've suggested. If he wasn't potentially on the slide we probably wouldn't have attracted him. Ultimately though his style has to bring results and whilst I'll never understand the footballing motive to sack him before a final we were getting the bad Mourinho of blaming others and not adapting his style before we got the silverware and results that help get the buy in from players and fans.

I'm sure there has been a pattern where we go from charismatic coach playing attractive football to tactical trophy winning manager to try to take a team on the up to the next level and then back to the coach type when it fails. Maybe Conte will be the right mix of both?

Profile is a thing though .. as much as we as fans may hate it.

One legitimate comment re our coaching has tended to be that swing from motivator -> tactician/disciplinarian, e.g. Jol -> Ramos -> Harry -> AVB -> Poch.

And your point re if he wasn't on slide is absolutely correct, the rumour is the club actually tried to get him back pre Chelsea, talk about what ifs.

An interesting post i saw on SC today which i'd love views on from people, especially @Raziel , @greatwhitenorf , @thfcsteff

"Very interesting Financial Times expert on sky just now. Basically saying majority of future interest will be coming from the states. And the days of single wealthy individuals buying clubs is pretty much over and private equity funds will be the future. With our NFL tie we literally couldn’t be better placed. There must be a trickle down from the Chelsea sale that’s looking at us. I suspect that’s what’s given ENIC the confidence for the investment."

From: https://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/enic.131362/page-663#post-7947261

An interesting post i saw on SC today which i'd love views on from people, especially @Raziel , @greatwhitenorf , @thfcsteff

"Very interesting Financial Times expert on sky just now. Basically saying majority of future interest will be coming from the states. And the days of single wealthy individuals buying clubs is pretty much over and private equity funds will be the future. With our NFL tie we literally couldn’t be better placed. There must be a trickle down from the Chelsea sale that’s looking at us. I suspect that’s what’s given ENIC the confidence for the investment."

From: https://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/enic.131362/page-663#post-7947261

Rather stick with the english investment fund than switch to an american one.

Reactions: DTA

Always been the plan from the opening bell Nasdaq to the NFL the club think the biggest market for sponsors and future sale is the US. Our future sponsorship opportunities lie in the US for sure, our next owner will come from that region

Not terribly surprising, translate to blackrock and other awful investment firms. Chelsea offers felt like bully offers, put so much on the table others just walk away.

Not sure any industry has improved after US investment firms have gotten their hands on it.

Always been the plan from the opening bell Nasdaq to the NFL the club think the biggest market for sponsors and future sale is the US. Our future sponsorship opportunities lie in the US for sure, our next owner will come from that region
It’s also a huge magnet for legitimate TV and shirt sales
I was in the US in bales last season and several sports shops couldn’t get in a spurs shirt quick enough (Chicago and Touristy Florida)
US fans like an under dog and like to see a team grow. We are the epitome of that for a lot of them
It’s also why we have a really big fan club following that actually goes out to watch the games too

I was in the US in bales last season and several sports shops couldn’t get in a spurs shirt quick enough (Chicago and Touristy Florida)
US fans like an under dog and like to see a team grow. We are the epitome of that for a lot of them
It’s also why we have a really big fan club following that actually goes out to watch the games too

Used to like european away games the night before we'd usually meet up with the new york spurs and amsterdam spurs. Men and women. Nice people.

The club worked that market, it didn't happen by accident

- We had Friedel, Dempsey & Yedlin as players
- We marketed well when NBC started coverage, Bale was a big component (Full sized billboard in NYC's Times Sq.)
- From the official site -> The Club’s First Team has visited the United States five times playing 13 matches in 10 cities with 400,000 spectators coming to watch. The Club also has 66 Supporters Clubs in the United States – more than any other English Premier League football club. In addition, over the last five years, the Global Football Development team has coached over 12,600 players in 18 different US cities including Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and Seattle

Good work done when a lot of other clubs were focused on the China/far east market.

- We marketed well when NBC started coverage, Bale was a big component (Full sized billboard in NYC's Times Sq.)
- From the official site -> The Club’s First Team has visited the United States five times playing 13 matches in 10 cities with 400,000 spectators coming to watch. The Club also has 66 Supporters Clubs in the United States – more than any other English Premier League football club. In addition, over the last five years, the Global Football Development team has coached over 12,600 players in 18 different US cities including Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and Seattle

Good work done when a lot of other clubs were focused on the China/far east market.
Yeah I agree
I have a team in America (San antonio) and the ones that follow footy follow spurs
should have course milk china and Africa… the home of the fake shirt and fans who would struggle to afford to actually pay to see the side

Yeah I agree
I have a team in America (San antonio) and the ones that follow footy follow spurs
should have course milk china and Africa… the home of the fake shirt and fans who would struggle to afford to actually pay to see the side

The eastern coast of china is on parity with many european countries for wealth now. With a massive middle class. There are many wealthy africans now. Their economies have been growing faster than europe for a couple of decades. They do have a very high birthrate though. Average age is 18.

The eastern coast of china is on parity with many european countries for wealth now. With a massive middle class. There are many wealthy africans now. Their economies have been growing faster than europe for a couple of decades. They do have a very high birthrate though. Average age is 18.

I'd say the issue is China is already heavily targeted by United/Pool both who have the advantage of red kits (culturally lucky color).

USA makes sense for us, plus obviously South Korea with Son.

Yep
But the rich guys ain’t buying football shirts

And this!

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

We've got pretty high level of commitments!

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
We have a large debt pile for a company our size. BUT in footballing terms we got something for that money, an asset that has increased and diversified our revenue streams way off into the future. Many other clubs may have that process (and cost) ahead of them (depending on their model).

Ironically our debt and it's refinanced structure is actually attractive to a new buyer. Some of that is to do with the canniness of the chairman and some with luck of timing.
The rates we are paying are rock bottom and are fixed for 20-30 years . So a new owner will see a brilliant stadium, already completed and a debt package at rates that will unlikely be attainable for years. Circa £20m a year interest for what we have is nothing in the grand scheme. And of course, inflation is chipping away at the capital amount as well. (Not that they're selling;)). Plus, the economic, cost and interest rate outlook might be a barrier to other clubs infrastructure plans.

Further irony is Man UTD should have built and paid for a new stadium out of the interest payments alone from their (not needed) leveraged buy out. Silly billies.

The money owed for transfers was always the stand out figure from the last accounts and I think that shows the chairman was doing the best (financial gymnastics) he could to keep the fans happy with transfers while running a business that was shut down for 2 years......and I think that has led to him (ENIC) doing what they have now. ie pumping £150m in. The numbers didn't add up if they wanted to go in the same direction as this manager. Partly because a lot of the transfers haven't worked out and this injection smooths over that issue and basically allows us to swallow those mistakes (similar to how Chelsea and City can) and push on unhindered.

Last edited:
Back