• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Why should they have sold up? Why would an investment fund sell an asset that is vastly appreciating in value year on year? It makes no sense.

Mate, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise but ..

- Any investment has a timeline, yes it may continue to appreciate but if it is "nothing more than an investment" at some point you sell, and yes you sell on the up if you can.

Here's an interesting question

- About a year or two ago, the rumour (again) was ENIC now valued the club at £2.5B and was willing to cash out

How come, when Chelsea (who needs to build a new stadium, who has some investor risk with their owner/political situation) went on market and the first bids were supposedly in the £4B range, ENIC didn't make a few phone calls and offer up?

Mate, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise but ..

- Any investment has a timeline, yes it may continue to appreciate but if it is "nothing more than an investment" at some point you sell, and yes you sell on the up if you can.

Here's an interesting question

- About a year or two ago, the rumour (again) was ENIC now valued the club at £2.5B and was willing to cash out

How come, when Chelsea (who needs to build a new stadium, who has some investor risk with their owner/political situation) went on market and the first bids were supposedly in the £4B range, ENIC didn't make a few phone calls and offer up?
Why does a billionaire sell an appreciating asset to turn it into the worst asset of all in low interest, high inflation economy?…. Sorry mate it makes zero financial sense.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but weren’t you one of the people on here telling me that nobody would buy Chelsea FC for anywhere near as much as £3b?

Why does a billionaire sell an appreciating asset to turn it into the worst asset of all in low interest, high inflation economy?…. Sorry mate it makes zero financial sense.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but weren’t you one of the people on here telling me that nobody would buy Chelsea FC for anywhere near as much as £3b?

Like I've said mate. I'm not going to change your mind, it's been 21 years, with lots of economic variations, lots of right/wrong times to sell, if they wanted to, they could have cashed out.

Re Chelsea, absolutely (I admit to what I've said), I have no f*^king idea why the bids were in that range (I'm not the only one, Simon Jordan who regardless of what you think of him, he would understand club evaluation better than most, has no idea as well). There simply was/is no precedent for that spend

Cuti, Kulu,Lolo and Steffen Freund. It's like the bloody Teletubbies.

You're not wrong.........

2455B9D800000578-0-image-a-1_1419976272889.jpg

Isn't enic the longest owners of a premier league club? So in that time all other clubs have had owners that have sold up?

Been critical of Levy and Lewis, but this is good news.

Even if the end game is for them to have a higher cash out it will help us massively.

Haven't posted for a while but have been delighted with the run in and back in CL - fantastic.

A word of caution about ENIC and our Chairman though - looks fantastic that money has been injected - buy wisely now and we could really go places. But. But. But. It is not Mr Levy's mode of operation to leave negotiations to others - he believes in the hype that he is a negotiator without par.

So, in summary, he who reigns holds the reins.

I think it's fair to criticise Levy on some of the decisions he's made but seems unfair to criticise him on things he hasn't yet done. The money has been made available and there's a DoF in place who has proven he can find good players from Serie A without waiting until deadline day.

I loved Poch's tenure, we absolutely should have made this injection after we got CL with him instead of financing the stadium from our transfer budget and that unexpected income, as by the time funds were made available the squad had been on a downward trend for six months which the CL fun papered over and the squad and manager were running on fumes. It does feel quite fanciful to think that those 3 expensive signings could only have come good under Poch though. As it stands Levy has looked to correct his mistakes, I'm sure if we look back Mourinho followed by Nuno was the first time he got the manager choice wrong twice in a row?

If I remember correctly Betancur and Kulusewski were signed very late in the window and we know that Dias slipped through our fingers. I may be being harsh and we will never know but these signs may be indications that the Chairman was involved.

As I say, I really do hope that things have changed but, if he insists on tinkering with deals then Conte may say this is bull dust and be off...

Wow! Talk about creating evidence for your own bias.
It's far more likely that the world of football is an ever evolving landscape with lots of people and lots of agendas flying around. It's not Tesco.

Diaz - he went to Liverpool ffs! It's far more likely he chose to go to Liverpool instead of us - who wouldn't!

We know Paratici likes to have lots of things burning at once. That will have a prioritisation order.
The selling club will also have their own interests. Why risk selling Kulu or Bentancur early in the window when you can wait - in case you get an injury. Yes, we could pull the plug - but that risks getting no-one or someone inferior. And if we're working on Diaz and pushing, we try to get that over the line.

Your thinking is too linear mate.

I think it's fair to criticise Levy on some of the decisions he's made but seems unfair to criticise him on things he hasn't yet done. The money has been made available and there's a DoF in place who has proven he can find good players from Serie A without waiting until deadline day.

As it stands Levy has looked to correct his mistakes, I'm sure if we look back Mourinho followed by Nuno was the first time he got the manager choice wrong twice in a row?

I'm going to take a slightly controversial view on Jose, I'm not sure it's as "wrong" as people think, and here's why

- People have a very simplistic view of a football club, i.e. often purely on-pitch (which to be fair is the final objective), the reality is a club has to grow it's finances, build a brand and deliver on pitch. United as example is pretty good at first two and brick at the last for a decade.

Jose to me was intended to do a few things, 1/Get the trophy hoodoo off our back, 2/Raise the profile of the club (we had more media coverage under Jose than ever before), 3/Show ambition (Kane loved him, it was a sign of the club going big)

In the end he failed because he's didn't do #1 (win something), but I do wonder if Conte would have come to Spurs if Jose hadn't? while Jose was/is on the back end of his career, he is still a huge name and prior to Conte probably the biggest name to ever manage us.

I'm going to take a slightly controversial view on Jose, I'm not sure it's as "wrong" as people think, and here's why

- People have a very simplistic view of a football club, i.e. often purely on-pitch (which to be fair is the final objective), the reality is a club has to grow it's finances, build a brand and deliver on pitch. United as example is pretty good at first two and brick at the last for a decade.

Jose to me was intended to do a few things, 1/Get the trophy hoodoo off our back, 2/Raise the profile of the club (we had more media coverage under Jose than ever before), 3/Show ambition (Kane loved him, it was a sign of the club going big)

In the end he failed because he's didn't do #1 (win something), but I do wonder if Conte would have come to Spurs if Jose hadn't? while Jose was/is on the back end of his career, he is still a huge name and prior to Conte probably the biggest name to ever manage us.

I think the real problem apart from anything is was hiring Jose but still acting like we were still managed by a Poch or other type of 'project' style manager.

If you are going to be lulled into hiring Jose don't then act as though he isn't a manager that demands big money spent

I think the real problem apart from anything is was hiring Jose but still acting like we were still managed by a Poch or other type of 'project' style manager.

If you are going to be lulled into hiring Jose don't then act as though he isn't a manager that demands big money spent

I'd agree, but there was a minor issue in the Jose time called Covid that probably killed a lot of that

I'd agree, but there was a minor issue in the Jose time called Covid that probably killed a lot of that

No, the Jan window BEFORE covid was when they should have acted. Jose publicly requested it too (remember when Kane was injured and he said he couldn't operate without a number 9? i.e. long-ball tactics lol, but i digress..)
They spent much more AFTER covid happened so i don't think that can be used as an excuse

No, the Jan window BEFORE covid was when they should have acted. Jose publicly requested it too (remember when Kane was injured and he said he couldn't operate without a number 9? i.e. long-ball tactics lol, but i digress..)
They spent much more AFTER covid happened so i don't think that can be used as an excuse
We’d just spent £100ish m in the summer though for Poch, not sure we had the finances to drop another 50-100m and also FFP to consider?

We’d just spent £100ish m in the summer though for Poch, not sure we had the finances to drop another 50-100m and also FFP to consider?

If you are going to hire Jose, you do so knowing he will have his demands.
Tbf, he wanted a number 9 and it could have just been on loan like Vinicius

I'm not trying to defend here mate, but as I recall the events

- Jose got a side that had been recently given Lo Celso & Ndombele, maybe Berwijn as well? (big signings for us), then Covid happened and he got a summer with 6 or 7 signings including Bale, PEH, etc.

I really can't remember the details of that January window (we usually brick the bed in January, other than this one, points for Paratici I guess) but while I agree there probably was plans to back Jose deeper, I don't think his failure can be put on lack of investment (6th/7th is really bare minimum for this side). @Gazza Dazzla FFP wouldn't have been an issue, we have a lot of leeway there.

I'm not trying to defend here mate, but as I recall the events

- Jose got a side that had been recently given Lo Celso & Ndombele, maybe Berwijn as well? (big signings for us), then Covid happened and he got a summer with 6 or 7 signings including Bale, PEH, etc.

I really can't remember the details of that January window (we usually brick the bed in January, other than this one, points for Paratici I guess) but while I agree there probably was plans to back Jose deeper, I don't think his failure can be put on lack of investment (6th/7th is really bare minimum for this side). @Gazza Dazzla FFP wouldn't have been an issue, we have a lot of leeway there.

Yes, i totally agree with the bolded bit, i wasn't really trying to defend Jose as such, just showing the odd way ENIC would hire a manager like Jose and still act like we had a Poch..

. @Gazza Dazzla FFP wouldn't have been an issue, we have a lot of leeway there.
Yep, I was more extrapolating the situation based on the idea that if you have Jose then you back him. Having spent 100m for Poch in one window then expecting to do that for Jose each window for the next couple of years we would start bumping up against FFP issues.

All irrelevant anyway as it didn’t happen and Levy’s way too shrewd for it to be a concern.

Back