• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Not sure it was Gold. Wasn't it Matt Law's hatchett piece (surprisingly for him) from a couple of months back that seemed to drag together a number of different rumours and make them into fact, based it seemed on bad feeling from employees who had since been made redundant. And it seemed there were issues with the communication of the furlough decision, which does seem to be an issue generally (but that's not something I'd plant at the chairman's door).
My take on the furlough thing was always that the club was right to look to take advantage of a government funded scheme, given we were one of the few PL clubs to actually pay taxes into the exchequer, but that the club should have made up the shortfall between the 80% and the usual take home pay. We would still have saved a lot but without disadvantaging club staff. To be honest I am disappointed that the club didn't take this route, but the concept of using the furlough scheme was the right thing to do. (And to be clear, I am a union (wo)man, so am not in the habit of defending employers over employees).
My issue with the furlough scheme was the sense of entitlement it embued in many employers. There should have been more safeguards to protect public money tbh. As a result the country has spent far more money than it should have and we've created a massive national debt issue for our kids. But that's a different discussion. Sorry for going O/T.

Getting Conte is only 1 part of the ambition equation and arguably the easiest to fulfill. We've not been short of big managerial names during the last 20 years.

The other more difficult part is backing the manager properly with the players he wants and doing so in good time to enable them to build their team to challenge. That's the part that has proven more difficult.

I am sure that you are aware that the appointment of a manager, no matter how big a name, is not an end in itself but rather just the means to achieve the end.

Transfer spend isn’t determined by ambition though, just commercial performance.

Getting Conte is only 1 part of the ambition equation and arguably the easiest to fulfill. We've not been short of big managerial names during the last 20 years.

The other more difficult part is backing the manager properly with the players he wants and doing so in good time to enable them to build their team to challenge. That's the part that has proven more difficult.

I am sure that you are aware that the appointment of a manager, no matter how big a name, is not an end in itself but rather just the means to achieve the end.

apart from Jose who else was a big name appointment by Levy? Santini maybe??

but don’t worry I don’t think Conte will take it without assurances and I am almost certain that Levy won’t give assurances that he won’t keep, unless outside factors prevent him from keeping them. If we do get Conte he will be aware of the budget and constraints we have baring a covid type catastrophe

but don’t worry I don’t think Conte will take it without assurances and I am almost certain that Levy won’t give assurances that he won’t keep, unless outside factors prevent him from keeping them. If we do get Conte he will be aware of the budget and constraints we have baring a covid type catastrophe

AVB

Agreed, both sides know what they are getting into, same as with Jose.

I’d call spending more than you make irresponsible rather than ambitious.

If I had a mortgage I couldn’t afford would I get more respect?
I am no expert on business, but there are many ways to bring money into an organisation other than just through the commercial side. Otherwise half the entrepreneurs out there would have gone bust long before they made any money.

Last edited:

We've done this before, Santini, Ramos, Jose some might argue AVB and if you go back far enough George Graham. None of them able to bring success.

If we do get Conte and it’s a big if… even you can’t criticise Levy’s ambitions surely?

Folks said many of the same things about Mourinho - and before him, AVB, who was a significantly higher-profile manager than Redknapp or anyone we'd appointed for a while before that, really.

Both failed because they were not given the players they needed to make it a success. AVB asked for Moutinho, Hulk and Villa - he got Dempsey, Chadli and Soldado. Mourinho wanted a top class CB, he wanted Skriniar - he got Joe Rodon.

Poch, as we know, asked for a transformation - he got the sack.

@Robspur12 has it spot on - if (still a big if - this doesn't seem done by any means) Conte comes in, the true test will come in January 2022, and the summer. Will Conte get the players he asks for and needs to achieve success?

If not, you could appoint the merged clone of Sir Alex, Pep and Helenio Herrera - you will fail.

As Alasdair Gold mentioned in his podcast today, the manager at Spurs matters less because the setup for them to succeed isn't there. To change that requires buying the manager's first choices on time and letting them manage - we'll see what happens on that front.

Folks said many of the same things about Mourinho - and before him, AVB, who was a significantly higher-profile manager than Redknapp or anyone we'd appointed for a while before that, really.

Both failed because they were not given the players they needed to make it a success. AVB asked for Moutinho, Hulk and Villa - he got Dempsey, Chadli and Soldado. Mourinho wanted a top class CB, he wanted Skriniar - he got Joe Rodon.

Poch, as we know, asked for a transformation - he got the sack.

@Robspur12 has it spot on - if (still a big if - this doesn't seem done by any means) Conte comes in, the true test will come in January 2022, and the summer. Will Conte get the players he asks for and needs to achieve success?

If not, you could appoint the merged clone of Sir Alex, Pep and Helenio Herrera - you will fail.

As Alasdair Gold mentioned in his podcast today, the manager at Spurs matters less because the setup for them to succeed isn't there. To change that requires buying the manager's first choices on time and letting them manage - we'll see what happens on that front.

avb failed because he was a bum, Redknap who I liked and loved the football played wasn’t backed because he was going to take the England job… that was never offered to him. Jose we spent money, and would have spent more but for Covid.

poch, I’m a big fan. I would never have sacked him, he deserved a season of bad results baring a relegation struggle, but in the year he left, we spent big, got his targets. All of which have flopped

poch, I’m a big fan. I would never have sacked him, he deserved a season of bad results baring a relegation struggle, but in the year he left, we spent big, got his targets. All of which have flopped

Some of that was because of the man who wanted them in the first place was sacked before having a proper chance to work with them.

Or one of Pochs biggest failings is his ability to judge a player? Great coach but should never be near a transfer.
In that case we would never have signed Alderweireld, Wanyama, Son, Moura and Trippier. It's also widely reported he wanted Mane, Winaldum, Martial and Fernandes.

He has made some mistakes for sure but if you remember of the 7 players we bought from Bale money only 2 were ultimately successful. Perhaps it's more about the wages we can afford that's the determinant of the success of a transfer rather than the transfer fee.

Probably the best manager at building a squad was Harry.

In that case we would never have signed Alderweireld, Wanyama, Son, Moura and Trippier. It's also widely reported he wanted Mane, Winaldum, Martial and Fernandes.

He has made some mistakes for sure but if you remember of the 7 players we bought from Bale money only 2 were ultimately successful. Perhaps it's more about the wages we can afford that's the determinant of the success of a transfer rather than the transfer fee.

Probably the best manager at building a squad was Harry.

who else did he want that we didn’t get? Or is it only the hits you remember ? You can add Grelash to that selective list as well.

All the players that we signed that you quoted were within our transfer structure

Back