1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Emirates Marketing Project

Discussion in 'General Football' started by JerusalemMan, 18 Dec 2017.

1. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Gerry Armstrong

Exactly. The Sissoko thread at it's worst highlighted this.

StephenH likes this.
  2. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Robinson

I'm sure if someone had the time, they'd compile a load of articles showing how the same story/situation gets presented one way if the player/person is white vs if the player/person is black/non-white.

I'm sure we'd then get more "is that really a good sample size", "why are you always looking for things that aren't there" or "maybe that wasn't racism and that person just gets that treatment because they are not nice" responses so why should anyone bother.

At the very least Sterling has highlighted that the Daily Fail is at it's core a rag that is AT THE VERY LEAST bitter when it sees young black footballers with money - especially if they dare to leave Liverpool for another club - so it's all good

AuroRaman likes this.
  3. glorygloryeze

Strong accusation, i think. Happy for you to back it up though...

4. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

He was absolutely garbage at the World Cup. Everyone could see it except the pundits on BBC and ITV who must have been sent a memo by the FA saying they must always say nice things about him and big him up. It was embarrassing! The bloke missed countless chances and gave the ball away with every other touch and killed 90% of our attacks.

However, on this issue I have sympathy for him. I for one find it irresponsible when anyone of any colour plays the race card when there's clearly no evidence of racism but the two articles he has referred to so hypocritical that I'm not surprised he has taken offence in this instance.

5. glorygloryeze

Sterling's finishing was garbage. His general gameplay was not; in fact looking at the midfield England played if not for Sterling - and maybe to a lesser extend Dele - Kane would have been likely even easier to mark out of a game.
    Sterling, pace and movement were crucial for England and Southgate. Without Sterling i'm sure England wouldn't have made it as far as they did

6. scaramanga

scaramanga Tommy Harmer Staff Member

If somebody did that and found a bias then there would be a talking point.

Taking two articles (written by different journalists, as far as I can tell) as evidence is worse than a flimsy argument, it's simply non-existent. I'll bet if it bothered me as much as it does Sterling I could find a white player being criticised by one journalist for something and a black player being praised by another for doing something vaguely similar.

7. scaramanga

:ross:

8. nayenezgani

I don't have specific evidence nor do I want to single any GG member out. But at it's height the anti-Sissoko sentiment for me was so rampant and vile.

It was mob-meteorology occuring in a way that I've never seen toward any white player. In almost every thread on the forum he was being abused, that's all I'll say.

Kandi1977 likes this.
  9. scaramanga

There's a good reason for that - he's simply the worst footballer this club has had for a generation.

If Harry Kane controlled the ball 10 yards and spazzed it off his own leg half the time he'd get the same treatment.

I also don't think he's ever been abused here. Nobody ever raised any personal slights, we just laughed (and laughed and laughed) at his attempts to play football. Something I still find quite funny.

10. glorygloryeze

The bolded bit is fair: for the purposes of this discussion, can you find any?

11. scaramanga

No, it doesn't bother me nearly enough to spend that time.

12. nayenezgani

So this inaccurate summation of his ability means people calling for him to die or be killed is acceptable? Yes those kind of posts existed @glorygloryeze

13. scaramanga

Please do. Want me to point you towards similar ones for Janssen or Llorente? They've definitely been posted here. For Dier too if memory serves.

14. nayenezgani

Really? If be very surprised if they were posted with the same venom.. But I'm happy to stand corrected.

15. glorygloryeze

Fair enough. It bothered Sterling, at least enough to find two articles about similar players at similar stages of their football careers at the same club in the same paper doing the same things but reported differently, seemingly because of the difference in their skin tone.
    He made a summary effort to show how the media can portray the same people differently and seemingly by colour.

You don't care enough to show how he's wrong but you're bothered enough to comment about him and call him 'dim-witted'. Funny that:D

16. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Cecil Poynton

I was a massive critic of Sissoko. Said a few times this season how much he has improved.

To be fair I have moaned just as much about White players. Frankly Davies is looking at being these seasons Sissoko and I am none to keen on Dier. You should have seen me 15 years ago when Doherty was playing for us.

Robspur12 and MKSpur like this.
  17. scaramanga

I know he's dim witted, I've heard him speak. He's not Sherwood dumb or rSol dumb, but he's below average by footballer standards. I doubt he'd begin to grasp the concepts of cognitive bias or even sample sizing. I'm fairly sure he hasn't done anything other than notice two of his friends were spoken about by two different people and has extrapolated a fairly farfetched causation from there.

It's very simple to find two pieces of "evidence" and ignore all other data when that fits one's world view. It's something else entirely to hunt through past issues of trash I haven't read to find similar unlinked pieces.

18. scaramanga

Nothing wrong with being racist about gingers, the soul stealing clams.

19. scaramanga

I can't imagine wanting someone dead or permantly injured ever being posted without venom - seems a strange thing to be posted in a calm manner.

This forum's been around quite a while. In its years quite a number of our team have been ridiculed, hated, wished dead, etc. It happens all the time. I've yet to see a single trend there based on nationality or skin colour. There's a very strong trend of those players doing something really stupid at the time it happens though. If a player does stupid brick as often as Sissoko then you have to expect higher than average levels of ridicule and, for some people, hatred.

20. glorygloryeze

I suppose Raheem could have simply used number 4 below vs how Phil Foden buying his mum a house was reported; "Obscene i tell thee"

:D

MKSpur and AuroRaman like this.