• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

For those who regularly watched Emerson Royal over the last year or so, how does he compare to, say, Riccardo Pereira at Leicester City or Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool?

For those who regularly watched Emerson Royal over the last year or so, how does he compare to, say, Riccardo Pereira at Leicester City or Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool?

Badly.

I mean I haven't watched him, but you are talking about the two best right backs in the prem. If he is anywhere near their ability then we will be very very happy

It uses data for a shot from location
But it can’t factor in if it’s being hit by Harry Kane or Moussa Sissoko
That's interesting as it was suggested we were massively outperforming XG last year and wasn't sustainable. Which to a point is true BUT if most of your chances are falling to Son or Kane then having two masters of goalscoring pulling the trigger don't be surprised if their success %'s are elite.

xG definitely has limitations, but it's the best objective metric on number and quality of chances available.

It's possible to outperform xG, Kane does with consistency, part of his quality shines through in the stats in that way.

Looked at some numbers last season when we were doing really well results wise and articles were suggesting it wasn't sustainable. It wasn't sustainable to keep outperforming xG to that externt I think.

Badly.

I mean I haven't watched him, but you are talking about the two best right backs in the prem. If he is anywhere near their ability then we will be very very happy

With all due respect, how can you respond with Badly and confess you've never watched him?

I looked at FBREF and compared the 3 but also added Serge, Kyle Walker and Wan-Bissaka into the table. Interesting reading and I do take into consideration the different leagues in question...

https://fbref.com/tiny/2d3KJ

With all due respect, how can you respond with Badly and confess you've never watched him?

I looked at FBREF and compared the 3 but also added Serge, Kyle Walker and Wan-Bissaka into the table. Interesting reading and I do take into consideration the different leagues in question...

https://fbref.com/tiny/2d3KJ

I was trying to be a little funny. But if he is anywhere near TAA levels we have got the bargain of the window

That's interesting as it was suggested we were massively outperforming XG last year and wasn't sustainable. Which to a point is true BUT if most of your chances are falling to Son or Kane then having two masters of goalscoring pulling the trigger don't be surprised if their success %'s are elite.
Hence the flaw with XG
I like stats
But there isn’t enough variables to factor in to get xG as accurate as I’d liked or it to be truly useful
Doenst factor in weather, home advantage, player taking shot as just a few things.

Why do we need possession?
We just need to score out chances and stop the opposition scoring
Our transition play so far under Nuno, and considering how little time he ahead had with the team is really good. We nearly alway get a high quality chance off it which is all you can ask.

Against top sides, if you give up possession constantly you will pay the price. Have to hold and use the ball too.

Our transition play so far under Nuno, and considering how little time he ahead had with the team is really good. We nearly alway get a high quality chance off it which is all you can ask.
The same thing was said under Jose, we saw how that played out. We can't rely on creating and taking every one of the few gilt edges chances and hoping the opposition are unable to take their own. It will come a cropper.

We need to be able to control possession to help control the flow of games. I'm not saying we need to be City lite and hold 70+percent of the possession but we need to be able to hold it and keep it when the time calls for it. Multidimensional football is better than sticking to a single plan and hoping that works at all time, it doesn't.

I was trying to be a little funny. But if he is anywhere near TAA levels we have got the bargain of the window

Fair enough and thumbs up for replying :) personally I think he's going to be more like Wan Bissaka with better footwork based on all the highlights I've been able to see and comments I've read. He is more of a defender that is both rapid and strong rather than having TAA's crossing abilities. having said that, he has provided a few assists from the wing and I think he has the ability to improve in that area.

Reactions: DTA

Hi Jose, welcome to GG!

The best teams always know how to use possession to either stop the opposition having chances on your goal or take a breather. Too much wilful giving away of possession is counter-productive in the end. Even top coaches who are more defensive like Conte don't actively give possession away all the time.

Not being able to train players to actually be comfortable with posession by default is what has ruined Jose since New Years day 2015.

The same thing was said under Jose, we saw how that played out. We can't rely on creating and taking every one of the few gilt edges chances and hoping the opposition are unable to take their own. It will come a cropper.

We need to be able to control possession to help control the flow of games. I'm not saying we need to be City lite and hold 70+percent of the possession but we need to be able to hold it and keep it when the time calls for it. Multidimensional football is better than sticking to a single plan and hoping that works at all time, it doesn't.
Sorry but your comparing what will be clearly two very different sides IMO
For a start… we’re much much fitter than we ever were under Jose. That is clear and is key when playing a counter attacking game (just look at Leicester when they won it)
Secondly we have brought in additional players that have been brought with that game in mind. Not players who kept an agent happy

Hi Jose, welcome to GG!

The best teams always know how to use possession to either stop the opposition having chances on your goal or take a breather. Too much wilful giving away of possession is counter-productive in the end. Even top coaches who are more defensive like Conte don't actively give possession away all the time.

Not being able to train players to actually be comfortable with posession by default is what has ruined Jose since New Years day 2015.
Exactly
You have nailed it
Giving away possession is gonna hurt
Not having the ball doesnt hurt you unless you let a team do something with it
I mean we had 16% more of the ball than Watford yet there are fans who think we struggled…
Wolves had loads of the ball vs us and Hugo only had up work hard for ONE save… their keeper every time we shot
Unless of course you think our plan is to give the ball away

Against top sides, if you give up possession constantly you will pay the price. Have to hold and use the ball too.
Again… that’s not true
Against top sides you have to force them mistakes and control them defensively.
Then you will get chances you have to take

FDF1A032-D5D8-4719-A4ED-E720AA60EB4B.jpeg
look at these stats…. One team had all the ball
They lost. The team on the right looked the year every time they attacked and won comfortably
These are the stats for the CL final

Sorry but your comparing what will be clearly two very different sides IMO
For a start… we’re much much fitter than we ever were under Jose. That is clear and is key when playing a counter attacking game (just look at Leicester when they won it)
Secondly we have brought in additional players that have been brought with that game in mind. Not players who kept an agent happy
Bro the exact same argument was made by ppl on here last season, you might have even been one of those making the argument. I vaguely remember you saying the same things post the first Wolves match. All I'm saying is we need to be able to perform both ways. There will be teams who decide to let us have the majority of the ball and will sit back, we need a plan for those teams and need to be comfortable with that extra possession will have. We need to able to use the ball intelligently and break those teams down. Otherwise when they do start sitting back we will struggle just as we did last year when teams cottoned onto Jose one dimensional plan.

Bro the exact same argument was made by ppl on here last season, you might have even been one of those making the argument. I vaguely remember you saying the same things post the first Wolves match. All I'm saying is we need to be able to perform both ways. There will be teams who decide to let us have the majority of the ball and will sit back, we need a plan for those teams and need to be comfortable with that extra possession will have. We need to able to use the ball intelligently and break those teams down. Otherwise when they do start sitting back we will struggle just as we did last year when teams cottoned onto Jose one dimensional plan.

We are seeing our forwards move when they don't have the ball now. Rather than stand around like lemons not giving the guy with the ball any options.

We are seeing our forwards move when they don't have the ball now. Rather than stand around like lemons not giving the guy with the ball any options.
Yep
Very different to jose ball
And the team is for enough to control the last 30ins now

My argument was after the first Wolves game if all the players do the basics right eg Davies doesn’t lose his man easily… we win
We’re not playing that way at all now though
Did you see Wolves, city or Watford peppering our goal in the last 10, the last 20 or even the last 30???
No. We controlled the game without the ball
We attacked more during those times too
And of team are happy to concede possession to us we will keep on going at them as we’re fitter.
Don’t under estimate how unfit we were under Jose

Hence the flaw with XG
I like stats
But there isn’t enough variables to factor in to get xG as accurate as I’d liked or it to be truly useful
Doenst factor in weather, home advantage, player taking shot as just a few things.

True. With players like Son and Kane and other great finishers you'd simply expect them to outperform their xG - but some would say they are anomalies. The whole xG thing definitely isn't perfect, but I find it often to be a decent indication for how a team is performing over time.

Back