• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

I'm not blaming kane and son, that would be wrong, just like in my honest opinion it is wrong to lump all the blame on the WBs.
We have these performances in us, for whatever reason, and it happens to often for it to be down to one particular person or position.

And that’s absolutely fair to point the finger at Son and Kane along with the rest of the team. I just find it a bit boring whenever we lose a game, Kane and Son are often the first targets people look at to criticise. It would be wrong to blame Royal and Sessegnon solely for yesterday, but honestly I’d say they were the worst of a bad bunch, so I get why people were annoyed with them. No escaping it though, the entire team have picked the worst possible time to not turn up in the last 2 games.

Kane is our best player and our only world class one, some claim Son is but he is not world class. But let’s not pretend we dont have anyone else that contributes, Kulu has plenty of goal involvements, Doherty did too once he got going, Bentancur and Hojberg were looking good. So Kane and Son were on form when those players were playing well too, it works both ways. One of the points of being a world class player is that you drag the team over the line when the team is playing poorly. Prime example of that was Gerrard at Liverpool, he did that for years. That’s why many argue you aren’t a world class player if you don’t have trophies.

I love Kane, but all too often he looks world class when the going is good and the team is clicking but when the team is really struggling and needs him to demonstrate his world class credentials he blends in with the rest of them…..

Good post.

Arsenal lost two players but the opposition were aggressive against them and made no mistakes, hence why they beat arsenal in those 3 games
Against Chelsea and united arsenal were given gifts and took them as any half decent side should. Not every team will be as poor defensively as united and Chelsea

We took advantage of the mistakes in our big wins and as teams attacked more because we were ahead, that allowed more space for more attacks
Against Brighton and Brentford the only mistake was ours late in the Brighton game from 2 of our CBS. It cost us
our system needs to force the opposition into mistakes by playing with these automations and set plays. When that doesn’t happen there is nothing else. For that to work we need Edith to stretch the option (hence why both wing backs have to attack to stretch them) and you need support from CM for second balls and pressure

It’s no coincidence that losing our only experienced wing back is hurting us as suddenly we have no runners wide. Teams can remain compact and defend us easily. It then makes the midfield look poor as they have no out balls wide and Kane gets marked easily when he drops (yesterday son picked up the ball deeper than Kane more and more)

conte has to fix the width issue one way or another. We can’t have one side attacking and the other just sat balls deep as it means we don’t have players committed to the automations he needs.

This is where you need to get a player like Bergwijn on and play him uptop. If you got Kane, Son, Bergy and Kulu on the pitch together, you can create, especially if Kane does drop deep. He’s either marked or the opposition elect to keep shape in which case he can create. I think in such moments, Reggie’s speed would be key too, again to help stretch the pitch. I am not sure we will have to deal with this tactic more than once more this season -Burnley- but if we find ourselves there, we need to be ready to do something different beyond changing the same players in the same shape. Antonio will not go 4-2-3-1 so our only hope for a change he might make is 3-5-2.

This is where you need to get a player like Bergwijn on and play him uptop. If you got Kane, Son, Bergy and Kulu on the pitch together, you can create, especially if Kane does drop deep. He’s either marked or the opposition elect to keep shape in which case he can create. I think in such moments, Reggie’s speed would be key too, again to help stretch the pitch. I am not sure we will have to deal with this tactic more than once more this season -Burnley- but if we find ourselves there, we need to be ready to do something different beyond changing the same players in the same shape. Antonio will not go 4-2-3-1 so our only hope for a change he might make is 3-5-2.

I don't think Conte will even change to 3-5-2 as he clearly doesn’t think anyone can do the number 10 role. Tbh I would put Kulu there or even Kane there and start Bergwijn up front with Son but Conte wont do this unfortunately as his absurd substitutions in the last two games have shown.

It seems the Doherty injury has totally fudged us for this season. We can win the odd game until the end of the season but to get 4th we need to beat leicester, goons, burnley and norwich and I dont see us doing that with the limitations of the current team being picked presents, as you mentioned.

We will just have to hope the ongoing summer rebuild of us and that of the goons isn’t impacted too heavily on them having CL and us Europa.

Separately people should stop hating on Emerson and bemoaning his ability. He is a crap wing back but that isn’t his position tbf. He is a right back so people should leave the poor sod alone.

Right backs should still have better on the ball ability than he has shown - this RWB v RB excuse only gets you so far

A wing back needs to be a winger when going forward and emerson cannot do that.

Perhaps Kulusevski should play rwb for now and bring Lucas back into the team.

A wing back needs to be a winger when going forward and emerson cannot do that.

Perhaps Kulusevski should play rwb for now and bring Lucas back into the team.
A wing back needs to commit when they go forward
Be brave when they go forward
And still react to any over turns
He doesn’t do any of it

Right backs should still have better on the ball ability than he has shown - this RWB v RB excuse only gets you so far
He's specifically a strong defensive RB not a buccaneering attacking FB. We signed exactly the wrong type of RB for an eventual WB system. Royal would work decently as a RCB in a 3. That's how unsuited to the RWB role he is.

As mentioned above many of the best WBs are actually failed wingers. They still have some of the attacking quality required but more importantly they have the natural inclination for the attacking role. That isn't something you teach or can learn. You're either suited to being an attacker or not. Royal clearly never has been and never will be.

Sess is the typical example of a WB. He has played as an attacker and as a LB, he won't make it at the top level as a LW but he has the finishing, and the desire to score. Yet he's defensively a bit weak so boom you have the WB role that maximises his best attributes and masks the weaker defensive parts of his game (in theory, he's yet to really convince).

Royal would be fine in a back four where the opposite LB has more license to roam (Reguilion). That isn't how we now play so he looks like a fish out of water and it's knocking his confidence considerably.

It's like with Doherty who had started a good run at RWB, yet was absolute trash as a RB. If the different requirements for the role were as small as you hoped Doherty should really have performed better. Yet he was our worst RB since the sad old days of Alan Hutton.

Players attributes suit specific roles and responsibilities. It's for the coach to coax those attributes out but there actually no point complaining if you put a goldfish behind the wheel of a car and wonder why it's not moving.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

He's specifically a strong defensive RB not a buccaneering attacking FB. We signed exactly the wrong type of RB for an eventual WB system. Royal would work decently as a RCB in a 3. That's how unsuited to the RWB role he is.

As mentioned above many of the best WBs are actually failed wingers. They still have some of the attacking quality required but more importantly they have the natural inclination for the attacking role. That isn't something you teach or can learn. You're either suited to being an attacker or not. Royal clearly never has been and never will be.

Sess is the typical example of a WB. He has played as an attacker and as a LB, he won't make it at the top level as a LW but he has the finishing, and the desire to score. Yet he's defensively a bit weak so boom you have the WB role that maximises his best attributes and masks the weaker defensive parts of his game (in theory, he's yet to really convince).

Royal would be fine in a back four where the opposite LB has more license to roam (Reguilion). That isn't how we now play so he looks like a fish out of water and it's knocking his confidence considerably.

It's like with Doherty who had started a good run at RWB, yet was absolute trash as a RB. If the different requirements for the role were as small as you hoped Doherty should really have performed better. Yet he was our worst RB since the sad old days of Alan Hutton.

Players attributes suit specific roles and responsibilities. It's for the coach to coax those attributes out but there actually no point complaining if you put a goldfish behind the wheel of a car and wonder why it's not moving.

I understand the differences between wing back and full back mate i just think even in a back 4 he'd have ended up needing to be replaced/improved on - you need more, even from a full back than what i think he is able to offer.

I understand the differences between wing back and full back mate i just think even in a back 4 he'd have ended up needing to be replaced/improved on - you need more, even from a full back than what i think he is able to offer.

Perhaps. I think we could have seen gradual improvements and if the plan in time was a more wonky setup with more attacking left backs I think it could have been fine.

Certainly not top class, then again we paid about half of what top class full backs go for, so you get what you pay for I guess.

Confidence is probably part of the issue now, but even taking that into account it's difficult to see him as a successful RWB option for us any time soon.

Kane is our best player and our only world class one, some claim Son is but he is not world class. But let’s not pretend we dont have anyone else that contributes, Kulu has plenty of goal involvements, Doherty did too once he got going, Bentancur and Hojberg were looking good. So Kane and Son were on form when those players were playing well too, it works both ways. One of the points of being a world class player is that you drag the team over the line when the team is playing poorly. Prime example of that was Gerrard at Liverpool, he did that for years. That’s why many argue you aren’t a world class player if you don’t have trophies.

I love Kane, but all too often he looks world class when the going is good and the team is clicking but when the team is really struggling and needs him to demonstrate his world class credentials he blends in with the rest of them…..

Kane has done a lot of that over the recent years when we've often struggled. Under Mourinho him and Son did that most times we won.

I'm not blaming kane and son, that would be wrong, just like in my honest opinion it is wrong to lump all the blame on the WBs.
We have these performances in us, for whatever reason, and it happens to often for it to be down to one particular person or position.

It's definitely not just one person or position. But I do think we're seeing a prime example of what I think a lot of people mean when they say that wing backs are crucial to a Conte system. If they are fairly easy to nullify the entire team can end up looking toothless.

Is possible to lessen the impact of that through sheer quality elsewhere, but we don't have enough of that quality.

Kane has done a lot of that over the recent years when we've often struggled. Under Mourinho him and Son did that most times we won.

It's definitely not just one person or position. But I do think we're seeing a prime example of what I think a lot of people mean when they say that wing backs are crucial to a Conte system. If they are fairly easy to nullify the entire team can end up looking toothless.

Is possible to lessen the impact of that through sheer quality elsewhere, but we don't have enough of that quality.

If displays like the last two games weren't a regular occurance and hadn't happened under numerous managers i could maybe agree.
For whatever reason we as a club have this in us, it's not inho down to one simple issue of a specific player or position.
We lack belief in ourselves, poch talked about it, jose highlighted it and conte has hinted at it.
We don't have bad players, there are some unsuitable players, but we consistently turn in displays like this when it matters.

Every tea. turns in flat performances, even those at the top - it just stands out more with this team because you follow us and it's a more regular occurance with us because we are a team that isn't at the top level. Teams in the 4th-6th/7th/8th bracket are going to be inconsistent and drop points where they 'shouldn't' - that's why they are where they are.

In a wonky backline with an attacking LB I think he would have been ok although you would want a more attacking option on the bench at least. Add to that in a flat back 4 we'd likely have 3 in the middle so less need for him to be so directly a threat. He's literally a player bought for a completely different system with a different emphasis.

Every tea. turns in flat performances, even those at the top - it just stands out more with this team because you follow us and it's a more regular occurance with us because we are a team that isn't at the top level. Teams in the 4th-6th/7th/8th bracket are going to be inconsistent and drop points where they 'shouldn't' - that's why they are where they are.

100% this.

We generally play or try to play in the same relatively open and attacking way as the very best teams do but don't have the same quality in all positions so yes we fall down at times in the critical moments. Even the very best teams do. The more you try to play to perfection the harder it is to actually achieve that. If we think of Emirates Marketing Project in Pep's time they arguably have had a number of seasons where you could argue they were the best team in Europe yet haven't yet been able to get over the line.

In the Eriksen era we just had Eriksen creating. No top team had just one creative player in their squad. Most have multiple in their first 11s let alone just a single creative player in the bloody squad.

100% this.

We generally play or try to play in the same relatively open and attacking way as the very best teams do but don't have the same quality in all positions so yes we fall down at times in the critical moments. Even the very best teams do. The more you try to play to perfection the harder it is to actually achieve that. If we think of Emirates Marketing Project in Pep's time they arguably have had a number of seasons where you could argue they were the best team in Europe yet haven't yet been able to get over the line.

In the Eriksen era we just had Eriksen creating. No top team had just one creative player in their squad. Most have multiple in their first 11s let alone just a single creative player in the bloody squad.

That's part why we were easy to shut down when up against strong opposition in the 'big' games - stop Eriksen and you go a long way to stopping Tottenham.

That's part why we were easy to shut down when up against strong opposition in the 'big' games - stop Eriksen and you go a long way to stopping Tottenham.

Can't buy that.
Arsenal won three f a cups, Leicester won a title and an f a cup, man utd won a europa league and an f a cup, were they better than us? Did they not play big teams?

Can't buy that.
Arsenal won three f a cups, Leicester won a title and an f a cup, man utd won a europa league and an f a cup, were they better than us? Did they not play big teams?
Ignoring the Leicester one as it was really just the perfect storm for them that season (if only that big team implosion had happened one year later!)

In the other cases if often relates (at least in a pretty reasonable part) to two things.

1. That the big teams with the huge wage budgets tended to have a much deeper squad than us. That meant that come the business end of the season when the trophies are decided they have fresher players.

2. That 'some' of those trophies won by those teams were at the expense of their league form, as Champions League qualification was pretty much be all and end all for Levy and Poch we prioritised that over winning a pot.

It is much easier to win a Cup competition when resting your best players in the league games that take place in the build up to the Cup games, especially later on in the season when fatigue is a massive factor.

I really don't think there is a real appreciation amongst fans of how much of a factor fatigue is in modern football. it is a huge factor in the outcome of games in the final quarter of the season.

Ignoring the Leicester one as it was really just the perfect storm for them that season (if only that big team implosion had happened one year later!)

In the other cases if often relates (at least in a pretty reasonable part) to two things.

1. That the big teams with the huge wage budgets tended to have a much deeper squad than us. That meant that come the business end of the season when the trophies are decided they have fresher players.

2. That 'some' of those trophies won by those teams were at the expense of their league form, as Champions League qualification was pretty much be all and end all for Levy and Poch we prioritised that over winning a pot.

It is much easier to win a Cup competition when resting your best players in the league games that take place in the build up to the Cup games, especially later on in the season when fatigue is a massive factor.

I really don't think there is a real appreciation amongst fans of how much of a factor fatigue is in modern football. it is a huge factor in the outcome of games in the final quarter of the season.

Ignore Leicester winning the league, but what about the f a cup?
3 f a cups for arsenal, 1 each to Leicester and man utd, and a europa league for utd.
Thats six trophies won by teams no better than us.
Can't keeping trotting out only city, Liverpool and Chelsea win the trophies.
We are way beyond excuses now.

Ignore Leicester winning the league, but what about the f a cup?
3 f a cups for arsenal, 1 each to Leicester and man utd, and a europa league for utd.
Thats six trophies won by teams no better than us.
Can't keeping trotting out only city, Liverpool and Chelsea win the trophies.
We are way beyond excuses now.
I haven't trotted that out at all.... Arsenal spend a lot more than we do on player wages so have always tended to have a bigger squad than us. Same for Man Utd (as well as Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool).

Leicester, as I said before, we're an anomaly when they won the league. I'll give you their Cup win last year however. Though even then they were in a good position to qualify for the CL with a few weeks of the season to go, only to then take 4 points out of the last 15 available to fall down to 5th place.... Did they prioritise winning the FA Cup over finishing 4th maybe?!?

Back