• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Echo of Glory

JerusalemMan

Johnny Morrison
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

Aren't we now living what that is all about?
At long last, our aspirations are high enough, for the first time in decades seemingly, that even our failures can now count for something.
Yes we failed.
We failed at the final hurdle of the biggest club competition of them all.
And it's far better to have won.
But the path to that final failure brought such glorious moments, such exhilarating memories and such acclaim from neutrals, that I am so so happy to have lived through it.
And am confident that there is more glory now to come.

I hope many of you are with me in that.

I'm with you on this. We didn't win a trophy - only four chances to do that in England. But we came very close. That taste just makes you want it more. I think it was Roy Keane that said getting a losers medal was the most important medal he ever got because he hated the sight of it.

And those players will look at that medal and say "I don't want this. Never again. Time for a real one."

I lived Rose and Dele refusing their medals being presented to them.

I'm with you on this. We didn't win a trophy - only four chances to do that in England. But we came very close. That taste just makes you want it more. I think it was Roy Keane that said getting a losers medal was the most important medal he ever got because he hated the sight of it.

And those players will look at that medal and say "I don't want this. Never again. Time for a real one."

I lived Rose and Dele refusing their medals being presented to them.
Crouchy on his podcast said he doesn’t know where his CL losers medal is.

Could not agree more with the opening post, we are getting there and there is no reason to be downcast. We made the final of the CL!!!!! this despite all the injurys, most of the players not getting a good break last summer and loss of form from our big players.

We did not play well yesterday but neither did Liverpool and the game could have gone either way, i agree with what Roy Keane said about losers medals, getting one of them is the biggest way to make sure you never get another one.

I was thinking about that Keane quote, I assume the medal in question was from the 91 cup final, so Keane's drive and determination was influenced by an occasion where, going against another quote of his, Spurs didn't always let you down?

I was thinking about that Keane quote, I assume the medal in question was from the 91 cup final, so Keane's drive and determination was influenced by an occasion where, going against another quote of his, Spurs didn't always let you down?

I think we underestimated how much of a psychopath he is:

"The hatred of defeat definitely goes back to when I was a kid," Keane said. "We won most things then, too, but it's the defeats I remember. We lost a big cup final to Belvedere Boys 3-2 and I remember it as if it was yesterday. We were 2-0 up and the lad I was marking, Ken Gillard, scored a hat-trick. He ended up at Luton, a left-back.

"We were only 11 or 12, so we weren't exactly hitting the town when we won something. It was just going to the shop and getting a can of coke and a Mars bar. They probably thought I was miserable, but then they'd probably say the same about me now. There's three of four lads I keep in touch with, and they'd still say the same. They know me well. They know I don't like losing. If they come over for a game and we lose, then they won't meet up with me. They'll consciously keep away and I've known them since I was nine or 10.

"I don't know what it is about me. I'm from a big

Could not agree more with the opening post, we are getting there and there is no reason to be downcast. We made the final of the CL!!!!! this despite all the injurys, most of the players not getting a good break last summer and loss of form from our big players.

We did not play well yesterday but neither did Liverpool and the game could have gone either way, i agree with what Roy Keane said about losers medals, getting one of them is the biggest way to make sure you never get another one.

At work today, a mate who was fairly neutral but probably edged on wanting Spurs to win said he found the game fascinating and rather enjoyed it due to watching how Spurs played well and forced Liverpool to go about the game in a very unfamiliar way, penning them back and preventing a lot of the attacking play that we see in so many of their matches.
I'm not sure I want to watch the game again to see if he's got the semblance of a point, but I was at least heartened further to hear a non-Spur talking about how we had not disgraced ourselves on the biggest stage and instead made Liverpool look not very special.

At work today, a mate who was fairly neutral but probably edged on wanting Spurs to win said he found the game fascinating and rather enjoyed it due to watching how Spurs played well and forced Liverpool to go about the game in a very unfamiliar way, penning them back and preventing a lot of the attacking play that we see in so many of their matches.
I'm not sure I want to watch the game again to see if he's got the semblance of a point, but I was at least heartened further to hear a non-Spur talking about how we had not disgraced ourselves on the biggest stage and instead made Liverpool look not very special.
Re-playing portions of the game in my mind I have the same conclusion. Much of the media reportage fails to mention that we restricted them going forward. Even though they didn't press in the Klopp hell-for-leather style after they got that ridiculous penalty after 22 seconds, and often had 8 men behind the ball. When they did break they didn't seriously threaten us. Obviously we had our usual this season problem of not being able to break down a massed wall of defenders (good ones at that). Not helped by our wing backs not whipping the ball in early.

Oh well, next season...

Its not even the loss that gets me down its the way Liverpool were there for the taking and we didn't look like scoring. It makes me feel sick every time i think about it. I am proud that we got there but if Liverpool had been at full flow and beat us i could accept that but that was a tinkle poor final and Liverpool were the worst i have seen them this season.

Its not even the loss that gets me down its the way Liverpool were there for the taking and we didn't look like scoring. It makes me feel sick every time i think about it. I am proud that we got there but if Liverpool had been at full flow and beat us i could accept that but that was a tinkle poor final and Liverpool were the worst i have seen them this season.
Personally, I don't think there's any easy way to lose. If peak Pool had shown up they could have slaughtered us (like Cheat$ki did to The Goons), then we'd be talking about how we got slaughtered. If it had been a great, even game with both of us at our best losing by the odd goal in 3 or 5 or 7 we'd have been gutted too. I respect your preference, but I'd feel just the same, I think. Because right now I have too many feelings and it's seeping into my life too much.

Personally, I don't think there's any easy way to lose. If peak Pool had shown up they could have slaughtered us (like Cheat$ki did to The Goons), then we'd be talking about how we got slaughtered. If it had been a great, even game with both of us at our best losing by the odd goal in 3 or 5 or 7 we'd have been gutted too. I respect your preference, but I'd feel just the same, I think. Because right now I have too many feelings and it's seeping into my life too much.

It’s a fair point. I can’t think of a way I’d have preferred to lose really. I know I’d be even more gutted if it was 4 or 5 nil.

The bit that hurts the most is that we went 30 bloody seconds before shooting ourselves in the foot. I just sat there in disbelief and so sickeningly frustrated thinking is this club trying to find 101 ways to fudge us up the arse?

Felt sorry for Poch too. How on earth do you legislate for that. The longer that game went at 0-0, I think it would have asked big questions of Liverpool especially if we were having the better of the game. All ifs and buts at this stage though. I just badly want to get back there soon.

Interesting take on it. I did notice how little they attacked but put it down to them learning a lesson from last seasons final.
Going their usual gung ho would have played into our hands.
A back handed compliment from them I suppose, no consolation though.

Got home last night and have not seen any replays. I have very clear visions of moments in the game which I felt were key but I am going to wait a few days and review the full thing. Off the top, I screamed when Moura didn’t slam that one home and when Eriksen’s free-kick was saved, well, from where I was I was surprised.

I am still so happy to have been there. Seeing old mates from the decades, being with my usual boys, just being there!

COYS! ...and BTW, great post!

It’s a fair point. I can’t think of a way I’d have preferred to lose really. I know I’d be even more gutted if it was 4 or 5 nil.

The bit that hurts the most is that we went 30 bloody seconds before shooting ourselves in the foot. I just sat there in disbelief and so sickeningly frustrated thinking is this club trying to find 101 ways to fudge us up the arse?

Felt sorry for Poch too. How on earth do you legislate for that. The longer that game went at 0-0, I think it would have asked big questions of Liverpool especially if we were having the better of the game. All ifs and buts at this stage though. I just badly want to get back there soon.

Now that I’m over the shock of that first minute penalty, the lingering annoyance is that every headline seems to be about what a routine victory it was for Liverpool due to Origi (a squad player who averages a goal every 4 games) flukely hitting a shot (one of only 2 they had on target the entire match) into the corner of Lloris’ goal which added gloss to the scoreline.

Meanwhile Pochettino can only look on from the bench as DESK hit shot after shot comfortably within Alisonn’s grasp, much like they did for de Gea when ManU robbed us of 3pts at Wembley.

Can only hope that it was the occasion which got to them and we’ll be back soon enough for the core of this team to make amends by showing the world what they’re really capable of.

72CF0F15-52B1-4EFF-91AC-FC4D705D14DA.png

Last edited:
The writing and mentality of a lot of media output seem to be more about how Liverpool deserved this because of their performance over the season rather than their performance in this game.
And that may well be true.
And history doesn't record who deserved to win a match.

May next year see us further raise our game to a point where pundits have to say we deserve a trophy rather than that we need one (yet again) otherwise the annual cycle of media whispers about our manager and best players leaving will commence.

Even though we lost the final, the commentary and subsequent scenes from the semi final triumph still give me goosebumps and make me so proud. It just makes me very emotional.

This is why I can't agree with those who claim Poch needs trophies to be considered successful. As long as he can provide these moments of glory, I will be a happy fan. Call me small time, call me happy clapper, I don't care.

If people can't find enjoyment in the ride, the journey, for me there's not much point in even bothering. Unfortunately these folk will likely live very sad, lonely and unfulfilled lives.

Back