• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

Also, started playing music again and that's really helped. Not enough to quell my urges right now but it's a positive step. I've started hosting an open-mic at the Royal Standard in Blackheath, if any muso's on here want to come down let me know. When I get back from Croatia I'm going to go full-steam ahead with gigging more again. I lost my love for music for a little while, but it's coming back.

Hope you are all well and fighting the good fight.
Are you in Blackheath?!?!
Pop me a PM at some point, I will definitely come down to the royal standard and check out open mic (I don't play, but I'm pretty good behind a lens) - I live not far from Blackheath station.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Also, started playing music again and that's really helped. Not enough to quell my urges right now but it's a positive step. I've started hosting an open-mic at the Royal Standard in Blackheath, if any muso's on here want to come down let me know. When I get back from Croatia I'm going to go full-steam ahead with gigging more again. I lost my love for music for a little while, but it's coming back.

Hope you are all well and fighting the good fight.

That's a great initiative! I feel you on the music helping, it's getting me through rough patches as well. No shame in giving in to the addiction, we all have our achilles heels, some are a lot harder than others to abstain from. But it's good that you know that and are focused on getting back on the horse! Get well, mate, sounds like you're already started to do the right things, you'll feel much better in a little while. :)

It can happy to anyone - even someone young, fit, rich, doing a dream job

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp.../Aaron-Lennon-detained-mental-health-act.html

The 30-year-old, who has not played for Everton since February 11, was negotiated with by police officers for 20 minutes on Sunday afternoon.

Officers were called to a location in Salford, Greater Manchester, following concerns over his state of mind. Tracksuited Lennon was at the side of a busy thoroughfare close to the M602 motorway and officers believed he was in a precarious situation.

I'm a bit of a mess today. Went out for lunch yesterday and had 3 bottles of wine and plenty of beer. Got home late as got on the wrong train, Mrs not speaking to me this morning. I lost it on what's app and just came out of all of my groups for no reason.

Felt like throwing myself on the tracks today, would be a lot easier for everyone around me surely. Obviously I didn't and I'm on the train not under it, but I think I need to become T-total. Drink doesn't agree with me.

I'm a bit of a mess today. Went out for lunch yesterday and had 3 bottles of wine and plenty of beer. Got home late as got on the wrong train, Mrs not speaking to me this morning. I lost it on what's app and just came out of all of my groups for no reason.

Felt like throwing myself on the tracks today, would be a lot easier for everyone around me surely. Obviously I didn't and I'm on the train not under it, but I think I need to become T-total. Drink doesn't agree with me.
Glad you didn't act upon that urge mate. (I know often for me all i need is to think and imagine it, then I can let it go - like a liberty thing. Alan Watts described it as half committing suicide).

I don't really have anything to say re; alcohol. But from your other posts it definitely seems like a demon for you.

My demon at the moment is rest. I find I have to keep myself constantly on the go. Don't remember the last time I went to bed before 12.30 voluntarily. Otherwise I just feel lonely.

Are you in Blackheath?!?!
Pop me a PM at some point, I will definitely come down to the royal standard and check out open mic (I don't play, but I'm pretty good behind a lens) - I live not far from Blackheath station.

Hello mate! I'll PM you for sure when I'm around the area, will most likely be the week after next. One of the ladies that is running the Royal Standard is an old school friend and fellow muso over the years, so she's really trying to make it into a bit of a hub. I'm a TV and stills cameraperson by trade as well, but it's hard to get good shots when you're on stage ;)

Ouch, I think you hit the tickle my balls with a feather there. Don't drink. Don't hurt yourself. Do talk to THE CALM ZONE. Do talk to your Mrs.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today mate. Booze is a killer when you/we have a imbalance between happy and sad phases. I quit drinking because some of the things i was getting involved with/in after drinking, it was hard at first but i have not touched a drop for years, it was difficult especially if i was in company with others who were drinking but have got used to it and those that know me well accept it.

Stay strong mate because as the great Spike said.

"is it mad to be sane"

" or is it sane to be mad"

Hello mate! I'll PM you for sure when I'm around the area, will most likely be the week after next. One of the ladies that is running the Royal Standard is an old school friend and fellow muso over the years, so she's really trying to make it into a bit of a hub. I'm a TV and stills cameraperson by trade as well, but it's hard to get good shots when you're on stage ;)
I look forward to checking it out.
I have not really ventured out in Blackheath yet to have a night out.
Would be great if she could make it into a venue, Don't seem to be alot around here

You're close to taking the big step of acknowledging matters and taking care of them. Good luck, glad you wrote about it, glad you shared it and keep moving in the direction you know you have to.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today mate. Booze is a killer when you/we have a imbalance between happy and sad phases. I quit drinking because some of the things i was getting involved with/in after drinking, it was hard at first but i have not touched a drop for years, it was difficult especially if i was in company with others who were drinking but have got used to it and those that know me well accept it.

Stay strong mate because as the great Spike said.

"is it mad to be sane"

" or is it sane to be mad"
Feel much better after 2 days of no drinking. Me and the Mrs are fine and we've had a nice evening with a couple last night with no drink for me (and her of course) but my head is clearer and I know that drinking isn't the answer. I will see how long I can do it for and see where it takes me.

Also been keeping myself busy by doing plenty of DIY around the house.

I've made it a rule now not to drink at work or during the week in the evenings, and at this stage only drink on Fridays or Saturdays (if out as I hardly ever drink at home). I rarely ever drink on sundays so hopefully this is a positive step.

You're close to taking the big step of acknowledging matters and taking care of them. Good luck, glad you wrote about it, glad you shared it and keep moving in the direction you know you have to.
Slowly will get there. It's an evil thing alcohol but so socially acceptable as opposed to not drinking where you are made to feel the odd one out. My job Makes it harder as I do have to entertain clients and underwriters so drinking is part of my job but it doesn't have to be I know that.

Feel much better after 2 days of no drinking. Me and the Mrs are fine and we've had a nice evening with a couple last night with no drink for me (and her of course) but my head is clearer and I know that drinking isn't the answer. I will see how long I can do it for and see where it takes me.

Also been keeping myself busy by doing plenty of DIY around the house.

I've made it a rule now not to drink at work or during the week in the evenings, and at this stage only drink on Fridays or Saturdays (if out as I hardly ever drink at home). I rarely ever drink on sundays so hopefully this is a positive step.

Good for you mate and i hope you will keep progressing. I know its difficult giving the drink up but it worked for me. I am lucky in a lot of ways as i am strong minded ( my old lady says its stubborn :)) but i gave it up all at once and although it was hard ( especially when those around me were doing it) its been the best thing i have done and now i do not miss it at all.

I find that i can still have good times but i can now enjoy ALL of it and not just the parts i can remember :D, like i say its what you have to live for that counts and there are plenty of things that i can enjoy without the influence of the drink.

Stay strong mate.

Slowly will get there. It's an evil thing alcohol but so socially acceptable as opposed to not drinking where you are made to feel the odd one out. My job Makes it harder as I do have to entertain clients and underwriters so drinking is part of my job but it doesn't have to be I know that.
Don't know if this is a good suggestion or not and hope I don't sound interfering - when you are entertaining clients and there is that "expectation of drink", could you have non alcoholic beer or a shandy?

Glad to hear you have made some steps.

Don't know if this is a good suggestion or not and hope I don't sound interfering - when you are entertaining clients and there is that "expectation of drink", could you have non alcoholic beer or a shandy?

Glad to hear you have made some steps.
It is VERY common nowadays to have someone in a group that "can't drink any more".

I used to work with the most sensible chap ever, but he quit drinking because he became a bit lairy and didn't like himself acting like that, so he gave up.

Now I work with a Muslim who doesn't drink, another Muslim that doesn't drink, a Brit who quit drinking 20 years ago because it wasn't working out well for him, and others that do drink... but in my team I'm the odd one out because I do drink.

It's not really an issue any more, if you say you "can't drink any more" people understand what that means and respect it, it is almost a badge of honour to say you've matured and you've been there and done that and don't need it any more

It is VERY common nowadays to have someone in a group that "can't drink any more".

I used to work with the most sensible chap ever, but he quit drinking because he became a bit lairy and didn't like himself acting like that, so he gave up.

Now I work with a Muslim who doesn't drink, another Muslim that doesn't drink, a Brit who quit drinking 20 years ago because it wasn't working out well for him, and others that do drink... but in my team I'm the odd one out because I do drink.

It's not really an issue any more, if you say you "can't drink any more" people understand what that means and respect it, it is almost a badge of honour to say you've matured and you've been there and done that and don't need it any more

Good post and very true.

I had an episode out in Thailand where I as a 51 year old man came back after about 12 beers and several shots and basically trashed a Hotel, when your on holiday with your wife and child this is pathetic behaviour. Yet I can go for months without a drink of wanting one and I can also go to a country pub have a beer and drive the family home perfectly normally.

I think people need to find the trigger, for me it is getting drunk and being in an area where I let my inhibitions go, so on holiday, or family get togethers where I feel safe as I know everyone. Then I act like a dingdong, I think the are a lot of people who are not alcoholics but suffer the same sort of thing.

Last time I was hammered was in 2014. Massive hangover the next morning, I thought "phuck this" and haven't had a drink since. Don't miss it at all and on the rare occasions I go out with my old mates and they are having a drink, I like the fact that I can drive home, sleep in my own bed and wake up feeling good the next day. Would rather have a day out with my wife and daughter than spend money on the p1ss.

Update for my situation. I have contacted the psychologist that I was having sessions with last year, as I am going to start sessions again. It continues to feel like I'm living a nightmare. Depression and anxiety is often caused by struggling to accept the present circumstances, or wanting to change those things that cannot be changed. That's where my life falls.

Back