• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

My father-in-law died tonight.

He’s been unwell but it’s still a shock. I feel guilty as I hadn’t seen him since June because of Covid. We spoke a few weeks ago. We got on well.

It’s difficult as me and my wife are in the middle of a divorce whilst still living in the same house. We’re trying to keep it amicable and I want to be supportive. I feel so sad for her.

I’m very sorry for your loss. Look after your missus.

Hey gang, still alive but quite possibly in the care of a psychiatric ward, who’d have saw that one coming? So have we won a trophy yet or what then....

In a safe and relatively supportive environment figuring things out. Hope everyone is having a blessed Christmas, must have been tough on here without my usual stellar input. I’m surprised the place is even still going to be fair, must have been boring as f@ck.

What I will say, having been in the facility for over a week, is that there’s no advice offered re mental health or support on how to get on in the real world. Currently one solitary pill in the evening but it’s free food and a roof over my head so can’t complain. Seems like things are fudged as ever outside anyways ‍♂️

The main learning source is the other patients, trying to take on as much as I can

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He’s been unwell but it’s still a shock. I feel guilty as I hadn’t seen him since June because of Covid. We spoke a few weeks ago. We got on well.

It’s difficult as me and my wife are in the middle of a divorce whilst still living in the same house. We’re trying to keep it amicable and I want to be supportive. I feel so sad for her.

Hope it works out for both of you, not nice situations to be in but I'm sure you'll come out stronger the other side.

Thanks to all for the well wishes, I really do feel and appreciate them as well as the advice offered.

A big thing is now being open about struggles which previously were bottled up and would then rear their ugly head in other ways (like squabbling or being downright belligerent on here let’s face it). Now much more open with my thoughts as well as more considerate of when I’m letting myself be carried away by my emotions.

Some staff at this hospital are beyond wonderful yet some are beyond cretinous but even that is something to learn from rather than getting worked up about; it’s fine to have high standards but if they aren’t met losing the plot completely does not help as you end up like Apollo with the weight of the world on your shoulders.

I’ll stick to this thread for a bit but not try to clog it up too much; it means the world to know people have my back on here, let’s face it I’ve been a proper dingdonghead at times to the very same people who have showed me love in response to my current situation, which is a key learning point for me as I’ve not been forgiving to myself or others in the past.

Glad you’re safe mate. Most important thing.

Not the most fun of places to be? Or good to have some stability? Sure you’ll come through. Need a plan to move forwards. Warmest wishes dude.

Initially surreal rather than fun but it’s been enriching getting to know people with minds that work in a similar way, or a completely different end of the spectrum too. It’s a balance of being myself and accepting it but also unfortunately that simple, polite requests can be a battle with the staff.

Time to seek clarity is the main advantage but also I am a pretty helpful guy when I am in a good place (mentally), however it’s that balance where I know that am here for myself at the end of the day so I shouldn’t waste energy getting worked up in the lounge because the TV is on too loud and three people are playing music on their phone simultaneously so it’s like a circus; that’s when I need to go back to my room rather than trying to teach basic principles of social feng shui or how sound propagates.

And right you are about a plan mate, acknowledging reality as well my potential to help alongside a routine to help me achieve that is paramount.

I farking love that you folks have my back by the way. Some people say that an online community isn’t worth anything, but I feel the love, even if it’s in a digital form.

My Thoughts and prayers with you and yours.

To me, It’s annoying when people say that time will remedy things as I imagine there are a lot of tangible tasks that require attending to, but diving in to them things if you aren’t in the right state of mind can be worse than putting it back imo...

As you know, lot of great people with different approaches on here eager to help or hear you out. Hope it’s that way with the people physically in your life too my friend.

Initially surreal rather than fun but it’s been enriching getting to know people with minds that work in a similar way, or a completely different end of the spectrum too. It’s a balance of being myself and accepting it but also unfortunately that simple, polite requests can be a battle with the staff.

Time to seek clarity is the main advantage but also I am a pretty helpful guy when I am in a good place (mentally), however it’s that balance where I know that am here for myself at the end of the day so I shouldn’t waste energy getting worked up in the lounge because the TV is on too loud and three people are playing music on their phone simultaneously so it’s like a circus; that’s when I need to go back to my room rather than trying to teach basic principles of social feng shui or how sound propagates.

And right you are about a plan mate, acknowledging reality as well my potential to help alongside a routine to help me achieve that is paramount.

I farking love that you folks have my back by the way. Some people say that an online community isn’t worth anything, but I feel the love, even if it’s in a digital form.

Mental health is fascinating. And those with difficulties are some of the more interesting people I’ve found. Almost like their brains are too active, and they get pushed over the edge, bit they still remain extremely smart.

The NHS, especially for mental health, can be woeful. Sounds like you ended up somewhere decent. It will take them too long to get a plan in place. You can be proactive. Identify the key docs, deconstruct and understand as much about yourself and what you need and where things go right and wrong - so you can take control etc things you’re already doing. Your clear intelligence and great humanity will see you through to a full recovery. Maybe you’ll be able to help others in the future too.

The paragraph about volume is such a great example of where to go, and you're doing it!
Tis always about what we can control, but it just isn't easy to do that, so excellent you're making headway. The less distraction and speculative energy spent, the better the path, though my word,Covid has muddied that a bit...

My Thoughts and prayers with you and yours.

To me, It’s annoying when people say that time will remedy things as I imagine there are a lot of tangible tasks that require attending to, but diving in to them things if you aren’t in the right state of mind can be worse than putting it back imo...

As you know, lot of great people with different approaches on here eager to help or hear you out. Hope it’s that way with the people physically in your life too my friend.

Thanks man, I appreciate you taking time out to write those words whilst you have a lot on your own plate.

It’s like it’s just one thing after another at the moment.

I feel guilty for not having seen him as much as I used to over the last few months, in part due to Covid and in part as I’m trying to slowly distance myself from her family because of the divorce (which he - or her mum - didn’t know about.)

And then seeing my wife so sad and upset, I still feel all the love and care despite the fact we’re divorcing, which is disorientating.

She has no friends, so when we actually divorce there’ll only be her mum, and her brother who’s she’s not all that close too, and now she’s going through this. I feel so bad that she’ll be on her own without the support that I’ve given.

Thanks man, I appreciate you taking time out to write those words whilst you have a lot on your own plate.

I feel guilty for not having seen him as much as I used to over the last few months, in part due to Covid and in part as I’m trying to slowly distance myself from her family because of the divorce (which he - or her mum - didn’t know about.)

And then seeing my wife so sad and upset, I still feel all the love and care despite the fact we’re divorcing, which is disorientating.

She has no friends, so when we actually divorce there’ll only be her mum, and her brother who’s she’s not all that close too, and now she’s going through this. I feel so bad that she’ll be on her own without the support that I’ve given.
This is such a tough tough time for you. I know you had the other thing going on as well, and with how you described it, could tell that it's such a delicate matter. Your father in law passing just compounds this :( . I'm not sure what advice anyone can give in this moment? Hang in there, do what feels right, and even if that delays your end goal, don't worry your time will come..

Yeah, that thing about the TV volume and phone music being played simultaneously... that’s just rude and ignorant.

I think that would wind anyone up (me, certainly) and yes, removing yourself I guess is sensible, but I feel that you shouldn’t have to in that situation.

People should be considerate and aware of the situation they’re creating and the context they’re in. I sometimes wonder if people are oblivious to others or whether that kind of thing is considered normal?

It doesn’t quite seem appropriate to”like” this post...Even though our situations are wildly different I see a key theme, I keep in forgetting that I’m in here to help myself as I get too deep in to other people’s issues (other patients I’ve been trying to help). It shows you’re a compassionate person that you’d worry about leaving your wife without enough of a support net. It’s cold to say but you’ve got to put your interests first...Hate to encourage what I consider a negative trait but also wary of taking on everyone’s struggle as your own.

Even a break up of a whirlwind romance is a killer for me so can only imagine that conflict of emotions you are going through. It’s tough to do but it’s keeping the end goal in mind, which is your happiness. Helps if you can have a little something to look forward to, that’s unrelated to your current trials and tribulations.

For me being locked up and all, even a chat with a mate or a visit from family is key.

Yeah, that thing about the TV volume and phone music being played simultaneously... that’s just rude and ignorant.

I think that would wind anyone up (me, certainly) and yes, removing yourself I guess is sensible, but I feel that you shouldn’t have to in that situation.

People should be considerate and aware of the situation they’re creating and the context they’re in. I sometimes wonder if people are oblivious to others or whether that kind of thing is considered normal?

It’s a balance as some of these people have had traumas that deaden the senses...

Me I’ve trained my ears over the ears working as a sound engineer and musician + have hyper sensitive hearing anyways. Can’t expect everyone to be on the same level of understanding sound or just a general awareness...Not in a show off kind of way but it’s a hell of a mixture of characters here and I guess I’m one of the high functioning ones for better or worse. Previous me would have been ranting and raving in addition to trying to teach the concept of temporary threshold shift but it’s just not the time nor the place; even knowing that is a big part of my journey here..

And to top it off, had a great conversation in French with a cleaner who happens to be very pretty. Asked her for a song to listen to and she blew me a kiss which meant a lot. To quote Ice Cube, it was a good day. Let’s see if Spurs can fudge up tomorrow for us then eh? ;)

It’s a balance as some of these people have had traumas that deaden the senses...

Me I’ve trained my ears over the ears working as a sound engineer and musician + have hyper sensitive hearing anyways. Can’t expect everyone to be on the same level of understanding sound or just a general awareness...Not in a show off kind of way but it’s a hell of a mixture of characters here and I guess I’m one of the high functioning ones for better or worse. Previous me would have been ranting and raving in addition to trying to teach the concept of temporary threshold shift but it’s just not the time nor the place; even knowing that is a big part of my journey here..

And to top it off, had a great conversation in French with a cleaner who happens to be very pretty. Asked her for a song to listen to and she blew me a kiss which meant a lot. To quote Ice Cube, it was a good day. Let’s see if Spurs can fudge up tomorrow for us then eh? ;)

Pretty cleaner and French. It's a B movie classic if I ever heard it. Enjoy buddy

@theperverts in here - Not heard anything from the cleaner as of yet but had to pass my number via a terrific bloke of Jamaican descent, one of the few good people staff wise that keep the place together, with their grace and all round good vibes.

Hopefully you'll be happy to know that I have been released early (not naming names of who mightn't be :D). Having focussed on tips and tricks in terms of not getting carried away with my emotions it wasn't a fist pump goal celebration kind of feeling when I found out. Patients and staff alike had said I didn't belong there and I wasn't sure myself but was a different monster on the way in, don't think I'd ever been so mentally fatigued before.

It's been an eye opener. Sadly I mean in terms of the boring horrible people out there that are will-fully ignorant to the joy of life, some of these people come in to work to take out their tepid numbness out on severely troubled people. Made some great friends, for life I hope, one during a rough episode was banging his head on near enough anything and one member of staff's response was to say "bang it harder". It made it hard to focus on my own "recovery" when seeing such scandalous behaviour. It has a huge effect on my will to life when confronted with such hideous people and assault was commonplace (not once I got settled and was able to intervene with the required conviction that staff lacked).

The hospital simply wasn't adequately prepared and was a mishmash of all kinds of conditions and everyone having no responsibility + a courtyard only used for 5 ten minute smoke breaks a day rather than possibly encouraging exercise. Can't remember what I put on here but upon entrance of the facility my foot was pretty messed up as I kicked a bin (yep I'm massive d!ckhead before someone beats me to it!) and polite requests for ibruefen or at least something anti inflammatory were ignored so I chose to sit and down and cry in front of the office door until my request was met. That was the welcome and getting a toothbrush, toothpaste, towel and shower gel was also an uphill battle and I was an absolute state when I arrived, especially after breaking out of the first hospital once on a little runaway trip in search of hygiene to no avail.

There are plenty of good people working in mental health I'm sure but fudge me there are some wrong'uns too.

Feel blessed to have got out for new years but swung by back to the ward to visit some friends for a window visit on new years eve. Unfortunately I've not walked back in to an ideal situation family wise but as this hasn't been resolved and as such I've not been able to process it, seems inappropriate to share it. Main thing is I've a roof over my head and food in my belly and it's on to the next part of the journey I guess. I hate having to state it but my improved state of mind is almost despite the Acute ward rather than because of it, sending no shots at the NHS whatsoever, but more at the sad, depressingly boring neuro-typical twisted fudges that treat a day as an opportunity to belittle people or withhold information that is important to patients, such as a care plan....This hasn't been fun to write but it's honest.

I'm in need of a regular job / career to supplement the more creative side of things and looking at moving in to the sector of care. Had a home visit today though, which was all about positive momentum and they were happy enough to discharge me to phone based therapy from here on in. As I say, it's all just another step forward in the journey we call life and like everyone, each day you make a decision as to whether you get up and face the potential challenge of reaching your potential. Found that a bit too intimidating before but now I feel ready to make sure I'll never end up in that kind of place again unless I've got an NHS badge on ready to truly help people who need it the most.

It's helped having you guys hearing me out as it's a family I sometimes forget I'm part of. Suppose I should start waffling on and get my mind on the footba-- Oh no, intense anxiety incoming, fudge this sport, club and you lot. I'ma go watch darts, or snooker, or some other fat white dude sport as it seems way less stressful ;););););)

Happy new years to one and all, hope it's way better than the last, and hope I won't have to post as much in here unless it's messages of support!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

@theperverts in here - Not heard anything from the cleaner as of yet but had to pass my number via a terrific bloke of Jamaican descent, one of the few good people staff wise that keep the place together, with their grace and all round good vibes.

Hopefully you'll be happy to know that I have been released early (not naming names of who mightn't be :D). Having focussed on tips and tricks in terms of not getting carried away with my emotions it wasn't a fist pump goal celebration kind of feeling when I found out. Patients and staff alike had said I didn't belong there and I wasn't sure myself but was a different monster on the way in, don't think I'd ever been so mentally fatigued before.

It's been an eye opener. Sadly I mean in terms of the boring horrible people out there that are will-fully ignorant to the joy of life, some of these people come in to work to take out their tepid numbness out on severely troubled people. Made some great friends, for life I hope, one during a rough episode was banging his head on near enough anything and one member of staff's response was to say "bang it harder". It made it hard to focus on my own "recovery" when seeing such scandalous behaviour. It has a huge effect on my will to life when confronted with such hideous people and assault was commonplace (not once I got settled and was able to intervene with the required conviction that staff lacked).

The hospital simply wasn't adequately prepared and was a mishmash of all kinds of conditions and everyone having no responsibility + a courtyard only used for 5 ten minute smoke breaks a day rather than possibly encouraging exercise. Can't remember what I put on here but upon entrance of the facility my foot was pretty messed up as I kicked a bin (yep I'm massive d!ckhead before someone beats me to it!) and polite requests for ibruefen or at least something anti inflammatory were ignored so I chose to sit and down and cry in front of the office door until my request was met. That was the welcome and getting a toothbrush, toothpaste, towel and shower gel was also an uphill battle and I was an absolute state when I arrived, especially after breaking out of the first hospital once on a little runaway trip in search of hygiene to no avail.

There are plenty of good people working in mental health I'm sure but fudge me there are some wrong'uns too.

Feel blessed to have got out for new years but swung by back to the ward to visit some friends for a window visit on new years eve. Unfortunately I've not walked back in to an ideal situation family wise but as this hasn't been resolved and as such I've not been able to process it, seems inappropriate to share it. Main thing is I've a roof over my head and food in my belly and it's on to the next part of the journey I guess. I hate having to state it but my improved state of mind is almost despite the Acute ward rather than because of it, sending no shots at the NHS whatsoever, but more at the sad, depressingly boring neuro-typical twisted fudges that treat a day as an opportunity to belittle people or withhold information that is important to patients, such as a care plan....This hasn't been fun to write but it's honest.

I'm in need of a regular job / career to supplement the more creative side of things and looking at moving in to the sector of care. Had a home visit today though, which was all about positive momentum and they were happy enough to discharge me to phone based therapy from here on in. As I say, it's all just another step forward in the journey we call life and like everyone, each day you make a decision as to whether you get up and face the potential challenge of reaching your potential. Found that a bit too intimidating before but now I feel ready to make sure I'll never end up in that kind of place again unless I've got an NHS badge on ready to truly help people who need it the most.

It's helped having you guys hearing me out as it's a family I sometimes forget I'm part of. Suppose I should start waffling on and get my mind on the footba-- Oh no, intense anxiety incoming, fudge this sport, club and you lot. I'ma go watch darts, or snooker, or some other fat white dude sport as it seems way less stressful ;););););)

Happy new years to one and all, hope it's way better than the last, and hope I won't have to post as much in here unless it's messages of support!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Glad you're out and congratulations to yourself for that. Maybe the people you met in there were right and you don't belong in there but definitely make sure it doesn't happen again. One point, of the million you made, which stood out to me was the one about how you'd allowed your personal hygiene to slip. Maybe make it a new year's resolution to not allow that to happen again. I know it's not always the top priority, GHod knows with this working from home situation I've had the odd shower free day, but it's keeping on top of the little things which will stop the bigger things getting on top of you. Just an idea.

Oh and follow back up with the French cleaner. Maybe a small gift, flowers or something small, just so she doesn't forget you. Would be a great way to start your new year with a date. Hope 2021 is a better you for you man.

Other than thinking "great news" that you're out, my main thought was that you have a story to tell which could be of enormous public service. Would you ever consider writing a larger piece for, say, The Guardian? The Big Issue? I hope you are keeping a regular diary too, as again, it feels to me like writing it out is a positive and therapeutic thing PLUS you can write! If you're not keeping a diary, perhaps consider it; could be a great daily axis point too.
Be well...

Glad you're out and congratulations to yourself for that. Maybe the people you met in there were right and you don't belong in there but definitely make sure it doesn't happen again. One point, of the million you made, which stood out to me was the one about how you'd allowed your personal hygiene to slip. Maybe make it a new year's resolution to not allow that to happen again. I know it's not always the top priority, GHod knows with this working from home situation I've had the odd shower free day, but it's keeping on top of the little things which will stop the bigger things getting on top of you. Just an idea.

Oh and follow back up with the French cleaner. Maybe a small gift, flowers or something small, just so she doesn't forget you. Would be a great way to start your new year with a date. Hope 2021 is a better you for you man.

Appreciate all points but I would rather defensively state my hygiene items were withheld from me! Main reason I broke out of the first hospital once..to no avail.

But you’re 100% right, it’s a case of doing the small things right, and taking those little victories and looking for the next one rather than stumbling..Can’t have it all our own way, that’s what I’m trying to keep in mind. Happy new year to you and yours too mate :)

Back