• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

Grays, I get what you mean, but let's get some global perspective here as well. Some people fall to pieces and are suicidal because they lose their job. Others because they lose someone close to them. Others because of something way more trivial or way more serious e.g. living in a war zone and your whole country being bombed to pieces. So there are levels. Some people are freaking out for comparatively trivial reasons.

But with mental health there are no levels otherwise a cure would be to remind them that It could be worse you could live in Libya having your house shelled by Obama. Freaking out and having mental health issues are poles apart

Grays, I get what you mean, but let's get some global perspective here as well. Some people fall to pieces and are suicidal because they lose their job. Others because they lose someone close to them. Others because of something way more trivial or way more serious e.g. living in a war zone and your whole country being bombed to pieces. So there are levels. Some people are freaking out for comparatively trivial reasons.

Yes, I agree. As a teacher I can tell you that the kids of today have minimal resilience and I feel this something we as a society need to address. Here is an example. A kid in GCSE made a formal complaint about me saying that she was unhappy with the feed back I had given to her regarding her work. I answered the complaint by saying "how can you be unhappy with my feed back when you haven't handed any work in?" She than went back and made another formal complaint, saying that my telling her she couldn't have any complaints because she hadn't done any work made her "feel stupid."

Yes, I agree. As a teacher I can tell you that the kids of today have minimal resilience and I feel this something we as a society need to address. Here is an example. A kid in GCSE made a formal complaint about me saying that she was unhappy with the feed back I had given to her regarding her work. I answered the complaint by saying "how can you be unhappy with my feed back when you haven't handed any work in?" She than went back and made another formal complaint, saying that my telling her she couldn't have any complaints because she hadn't done any work made her "feel stupid."

Haha that's just ridiculous

By whose measure?

For me, that is a dangerous judgement to level.

FWIW I am friends with a gentleman who is 86 and lived through WWII. He has a very open view on this, and says himself that comparisons with what his generation went through are simply inaccurate and somewhat impossible to make.

There are absolutely levels of human suffering, however everyone's experience is theirs.

One of my best friends is finally getting his heart transplant op in three hours, having been in hospital for nearly a month. He was scheduled a week ago, but it was pulled at the 11th hour. He has top care, a great nurse/doc team and wants for nothing...except his life back. He has been suffering, but because of his deep work in meditation and with Buddism, he has mastered the whole scenario and was at peace despite being down and frustrated. I will admit he is a current touchstone of perspective for me, however anyone's suffering is theirs, not mine to judge...

This is an entirely different topic to mental health IMO. That's being raised in a society (and household) where lack of accountability is seen as an OK thing!!!!!! Absurd!

There are absolutely levels of human suffering, however everyone's experience is theirs.

This is exactly the point, there are people who were having mental health issues before covid for their reasons, suicide rates then were astronomical even then. If there was a view that times during Covid are nothing compared to the war and people need to shape up I wonder what people must of thought of these people when we were covid free jeeez.

I think Yuwal Harari says it well about happiness, and how the experience of it differs from person to person in the Sapiens book:

According to the ancient discoveries and researches, biologists hold that our mental and emotional world is governed by biochemical mechanisms shaped by millions of years of evolution. Like all other mental states like anger etc. , our subjective well-being is not determined by external parameters like salary, social relations or political rights. Instead, it is determined by complex systems of nerves and neurons and various biochemical substances like serotonin, dopamine and oxytocin.

Nobody is never made happy by winning the lottery, getting a promotion or even finding true love. People are made happy by only one thing, that is, pleasant sensations in their bodies. A person who just won the lottery or found the new love and jumps from joy is not really reacting to money or lover. That person is reacting to various hormones coursing through his bloodstream, and to the randomness of electric signals flashing between different parts of the brain.

Human happiness conditioning systems differ from person to person. On a scale of one to ten, some people are born with cheerful biochemical system that allows their mood to swing from six to ten, stabilizing with time at eight. Such a person remains happy even if he loses all his money in stock exchange crash or lives in a big alienated city.

Think of your family and friends, you know some people in your life among them who remains joyful no matter what befalls them. We tend to believe that if we buy a new car, get married or finish writing that novel, we would be on the top of the world. Yet when we get what we desire, we don’t seem to be any happier. We never gets satisfy with whatever we achieve and we tend to get bore after sometime. Buying cars, get married or writing novels do not get to change our biochemistry. They can only startle us for a fleeting moment.

Since our biochemistry limits the volume and duration of these sensations, the only way to make people experience a high level of happiness over an extended period of time is to manipulate their biochemical system.

---

But of course, living in war is objectively worse than living a place where there is no war - but the way we as humans are hardwired to experience (or not experience) happiness does not rely that much on whether or not we're in a warzone.
You could say that footballers shouldn't complain, they should be happy, they earn so and so much and can have sex with pretty much any lady they'd like - but those things do not change their biochemistry.

Yuwal Harari said:
A person who just won the lottery or found the new love and jumps from joy is not really reacting to money or lover. That person is reacting to various hormones coursing through his bloodstream, and to the randomness of electric signals flashing between different parts of the brain.
But that's the same thing. This is like saying it isn't the bullet that kills you, it is the blood leaking out of your body. Oh no wait, it isn't the blood leaving your body, it is the lack of oxygenated blood getting to your brain. No wait, it is the lack of oxygen getting to your brain cells. No wait, it is the lack of synapses firing. No wait...

Also, I think that writer needs a new copywriter, there are SO many mistakes in that excerpt you posted.

I am being serious here, not at all sarcastic. The fudge wit element, all the Qanon and sovereign Individual loons and conspiracy theorists are doing my head in. They are all over social media and you know there is a problem, when somebody you previously thought was quite reasonable quotes one of their loony ideas.

I am being serious here, not at all sarcastic. The fudge wit element, all the Qanon and sovereign Individual loons and conspiracy theorists are doing my head in. They are all over social media and you know there is a problem, when somebody you previously thought was quite reasonable quotes one of their loony ideas.

Honestly the only social media you need is this website.

Spoke on here about some ups and downs before...Given ups and downs (way long before lockdown) after some family and one ex manager recommended it I (begrudgingly) called the GP place, half hour chat really nice lady who advised to come in. Another talk with two dudes about the whole thing which I could summarize if need be.

Long story short after another phone assessment meant to take 30 min max that was 1:05 mins haha this organization was just a CBT course and I have to go in for checks / possible diagnosis of bi polar amongst a few other things. Honestly everyone I've spoken to (professionals, famly , friends, have been super amazing with it.

Not to sound too defensive but it's not like I'm after a "label" or even an excuse but it would be good to know alongside any good techniques / approaches.

I've been crazy busy with life but on a good vibe though, busked in town today, got the third kit, went on a fudging amazing first date.....Hope everyone's keeping well and taking care of each other when possible :cool:

Spoke on here about some ups and downs before...Given ups and downs (way long before lockdown) after some family and one ex manager recommended it I (begrudgingly) called the GP place, half hour chat really nice lady who advised to come in. Another talk with two dudes about the whole thing which I could summarize if need be.

Long story short after another phone assessment meant to take 30 min max that was 1:05 mins haha this organization was just a CBT course and I have to go in for checks / possible diagnosis of bi polar amongst a few other things. Honestly everyone I've spoken to (professionals, famly , friends, have been super amazing with it.

Not to sound too defensive but it's not like I'm after a "label" or even an excuse but it would be good to know alongside any good techniques / approaches.

I've been crazy busy with life but on a good vibe though, busked in town today, got the third kit, went on a fudging amazing first date.....Hope everyone's keeping well and taking care of each other when possible :cool:

It sounds like things are moving in a positive, affirmative, useful and helpful direction. Great stuff.

The main thing I always conclude with them is that they're as scared and clueless as the next person, but want to create the edifice of calm and control by building a theory which comforts them. It's not dissimilar to religion, and I have no issue tis it as long as it does not affect my life or hurt people. Sadly, many conspiracy theories do. To be clear, I am all for healthy discussion, learning and digs beneath the surface; some things certainly are linked. But there then becomes the lunatic fringe...who throttle things to death. And yes. They have been doing my head in too!

Good for you; I suppose the danger of 'labelling' someone's disorder is that they may find out 2 years later it was the wrong 'label' and try another one, then find out later that was wrong too, and so it goes on. But yeah it must be reassuring to be told "You are XYZ and so are these 3000 people over here, who can advise and help you". Makes perfect sense.

By the way, whenever anyone mentions CBT I immediately presume they mean c0ck and ball torture. Maybe that says more about the websites I'm visiting.
Someone wrote BBC the other day and I immediately presumed Big Black C0ck.

Good for you; I suppose the danger of 'labelling' someone's disorder is that they may find out 2 years later it was the wrong 'label' and try another one, then find out later that was wrong too, and so it goes on. But yeah it must be reassuring to be told "You are XYZ and so are these 3000 people over here, who can advise and help you". Makes perfect sense.

By the way, whenever anyone mentions CBT I immediately presume they mean c0ck and ball torture. Maybe that says more about the websites I'm visiting.
Someone wrote BBC the other day and I immediately presumed Big Black C0ck.

My wife does cognitive behavioral therapy and though I would not dare say it in front of her it is little more then saying dont put things off because they become harder the more you put it off.

The is lot more to therapy and psychiatry but cbt is cack.

It sounds like things are moving in a positive, affirmative, useful and helpful direction. Great stuff.

Thanks Steff, I do think so. Without wanting to try to sound too faux poetical but its getting stuck in to the abyss and the longer you're there the harder it is to get that spark, oopmh to just crack on. I know it's not as simple as finding some "get up and go" but you got to want to improve your own situation. Fortunately whether by chance or better practices day to day it has been good, and helpful just to talk it through even if there isn't an exact answer like in a maths exercise.

Not gonna lie I typed the bit above like 3 days ago and forgot to post it. Just got back from the second date, mind blown.

Also received the letter about the referral made on my behalf and who I need to call to get the ball rolling tomorrow..

As ever, peace and good vibes, haven't caught up on the thread but hope everyone's' doing decent in terms of ANY battles mental health related or otherwise

My wife does cognitive behavioral therapy and though I would not dare say it in front of her it is little more then saying dont put things off because they become harder the more you put it off.

The is lot more to therapy and psychiatry but cbt is cack.

If that's true how come she hasn't got to the bottom of your deviant tendencies then?

Back