• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Do we still need a Modric/Moutinho/Mata-type playmaker?

I'd love a real passer in the team however AVB doesnt see it that way.
An awful lot of would love to see a Barcelona style 433 with real passers in the midfield but I think to AVB that's already yesterday's tactic and he'd rather a physical team high tempo set up like Dormund's(they went to CL final with Bender and Gundogan in midfield!) I see him going for passing centre halfs and harassing all action central midfielders.

Ultimately we're not gonna play as pretty football as we did with Modric in the team but it will probably be more successful.

I'd love a real passer in the team however AVB doesnt see it that way.
An awful lot of would love to see a Barcelona style 433 with real passers in the midfield but I think to AVB that's already yesterday's tactic and he'd rather a physical team high tempo set up like Dormund's(they went to CL final with Bender and Gundogan in midfield!) I see him going for passing centre halfs and harassing all action central midfielders.

Ultimately we're not gonna play as pretty football as we did with Modric in the team but it will probably be more successful.

Interesting post, but I think you MASSIVELY undersell the passing and creativity that exists in Dortmund's midfield imo

I love watching Dortmund. Wouldn't mind at all if this team looked like last year's Dortmund squad.

Interesting post, but I think you MASSIVELY undersell the passing and creativity that exists in Dortmund's midfield imo

Agreed. Gundogan is an amazing player.

------------------------------

For us both Paulinho and Capoue are solid upgrades in terms of passing (and other areas) compared to our regular starters. I think Capoue will continue to do a fine job in the deep playmaker role and although not a playmaker Paulinho is very comfortable with the ball at this feet in tight areas.

Carroll and Holtby are also exciting options if we want another passer into midfield. Will be interesting to see what they can contribute as the season develops.

AVB's set up is simple. A physically strong midfield three will combat any passing team (how much possession did Swansea get in the first hour yesterday) and the creativity will come from the inside forwards. That's why he wanted Willian, that's why he won't admit to Bale leaving and that's why he wants Lamella.

Seeing that pic of Ade and BAE watching the game got me thinking. If Ade stays then he could learn to play that #10 role. I think he'd hook up really well with Soldado, understanding his movement. Ade has good awareness and is an intelligent player. Decent with the ball at his feet and should be able to start finishing and provides some hight. It might take a little time to settle in that role, but I'd like to see it.

Soldado
Bale Ade Townsend

With Lennon or Chadli in place on the wings, Holtby/ Sig able to cover all 3 support positions, and Defoe cover up front.

I after last season would not place any trust in ade to do anything, we need him gone and replaced with someone who gives a damn.

Holtby and siggy can play the position in the hole, so it is just a bit more creativity we need, yes i think we need a playmaker. Though i was impressed with how carroll played when he was given a chance last season. We looked a different side when he and hudd came on in the derby against arsenal.

I think a lot of us have high hopes for Holtby when he comes back, who will provide some creativity from central areas (whether in a 4-3-3 or as the no.10 in a 4-2-3-1). And what with Willian and Lamela we are clearly looking for creative wide playmaker (or whatever you want to call them) too.

So I'm not too worried at this stage.

If we have 30mil burning a hole in our pocket why not bid for Mata? He's the perfect Mata-type playmaker out there ;) You never know till you try.

Seeing that pic of Ade and BAE watching the game got me thinking. If Ade stays then he could learn to play that #10 role. I think he'd hook up really well with Soldado, understanding his movement. Ade has good awareness and is an intelligent player. Decent with the ball at his feet and should be able to start finishing and provides some hight. It might take a little time to settle in that role, but I'd like to see it.

Soldado
Bale Ade Townsend

With Lennon or Chadli in place on the wings, Holtby/ Sig able to cover all 3 support positions, and Defoe cover up front.

no way hose.

Back