• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Do we still need a Modric/Moutinho/Mata-type playmaker?

glorygloryeze

Ian Walker
..to make full use of the movement of Soldado and our wide-men?

Lennon is often spoken of as making himself available to make good runs into space that Modric and Thudd used to be able to see and release the ball into for him to exploit. Seeing the space quickly and switching the ball: are we able to do this enough right now? Will Soldado have to rely unhealthily on penalties to score in the PL until we do?
Would Willian have been able to do this if he had signed for us?
Will Lamela or any other rumoured targets like Pjanic be able to do this for us?

Do we have such vision in the team right now?

We need one but IMO we ain''t gonna get one. AVB does not intend to be here in 5 years time (maybe not even next year.)

We can expect a few more 1-0s this season.

I do believe that we still need that type of player. One who can play in advance of the two main midfielders, look to thread passes but also be a goal threat as well.

Lamela will hopefully be a star player and have that x factor about his play. All teams need players that can produce out of nothing. But he could also provide more for Soldado along with Townsend.

With Paulinhio making good runs we need our own Silva type player. I don't think Willian would have been that player for us.

Would love modders back, or Pjanic, eriksen or Ozil.

We need one but IMO we ain''t gonna get one. AVB does not intend to be here in 5 years time (maybe not even next year.)

And what exactly brings you to that conclusion?

Lamela will help create chances if we sign him. At River Plate he played in a deeper role and was more responsible for creating than scoring. It's only in his time at Roma that he has developed in to an attacking player who plays further forward.

I think he'll stay forward as his defensive game is weaker, he doesn't chase back so much, but he has the ability in his locker to pull off a creative pass. Add that to his goals and he'll be a hero here, if he signs.

Most probably a summer of a 100m fund being spent and he wont be here next year? Would be an insult. I think two or three more years. He needs to do something that Mourinho hasnt done - built something a legacy so to speak.

Most probably a summer of a 100m fund being spent and he wont be here next year? Would be an insult. I think two or three more years. He needs to do something that Mourinho hasnt done - built something a legacy so to speak.

I hope so. But if he does great this year (and I expect that) you can bet other clubs will be after him.

Whether he is here next year or five years time - we will have to get a playmaker. Wew ill struggle if we dont in my view. Lamela will be that player although I think we will get in someone else.

There is a big difference between a Moutinho/Modric type player maker and a Mata, Silva, Cazorla type.

With the way we are set up we need an advanced play maker like Mata, Silva etc as we are set up to win the battle in the middle of the park and get the ball upto the front 4 as quickly as possible and let them inter change and cause havoc. Do not let a formation fool you as 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are pretty much the same from our point of view.

If we get this advanced playmaker (No 10?) then you will see a huge difference in the way we move the ball around.

There is a big difference between a Moutinho/Modric type player maker and a Mata, Silva, Cazorla type.

With the way we are set up we need an advanced play maker like Mata, Silva etc as we are set up to win the battle in the middle of the park and get the ball upto the front 4 as quickly as possible and let them inter change and cause havoc. Do not let a formation fool you as 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are pretty much the same from our point of view.

If we get this advanced playmaker (No 10?) then you will see a huge difference in the way we move the ball around.

Interesting. What is the difference between a Modric/Moutinho type playmaker compared to a Mata, Silva, Cazorla type? Do you mean the position in the pitch they play, i.e. the Mata/Cazorla types being much further up the pitch? Do you mean they have a higher scoring rate, also to do with them being further up the pitch as well as being able to actually produce good strikes at goal due to better shooting abilty?

Also, is Lamela an example of this type of advanced playmaker? For that matter is Willian? Who else would be that we can feasibly get in this window?

Also, could Holtby be our no 10???

Interesting. What is the difference between a Modric/Moutinho type playmaker compared to a Mata, Silva, Cazorla type? Do you mean the position in the pitch they play, i.e. the Mata/Cazorla types being much further up the pitch? Do you mean they have a higher scoring rate, also to do with them being further up the pitch as well as being able to actually produce good strikes at goal due to better shooting abilty?

Also, is Lamela an example of this type of advanced playmaker? For that matter is Willian? Who else would be that we can feasibly get in this window?

Mesut+Ozil+new+pic+2012+06.jpg

Would be worth pushing for in terms of the seeming stalemate with Bale. Highly unlikely, but if Madrid are that desperate for Bale you never know.

Would be worth pushing for in terms of the seeming stalemate with Bale. Highly unlikely, but if Madrid are that desperate for Bale you never know.

But would he take a step down to play for a non-CL team in World Cup year? I very much doubt it, especially when someone like Bale is moving the opposite way for the reverse reason.

Interesting. What is the difference between a Modric/Moutinho type playmaker compared to a Mata, Silva, Cazorla type?

There isn't a massive difference between the two types, both tend to be intelligent and technically sound but the main difference is that the Modric/Moutinho type of playmaker sits deep, their main job is to orchestrate proceedings and dictate the tempo of the game, something we missed last season. They don't often get involved with directly creating opportunities for the front men, but they supply those that do, i.e the Mata/Silva type. Think Xavi and Iniesta or Alonso and Ozil. One sits and constructs whilst the other penetrates and creates.

Considering we have plenty of central mids at our disposal i unfortunately can't see us bringing in a deep lying playmaker, would hope we can bring some creativity on the wings though. What type of player is Lamela? Is he direct ala Bale or is he the more creative type?

Last edited:
I believe we already have that type of player with Holtby and possibly Siggy, although they are not the finished product like Willian. Carroll as well can potentially fill that space. I believe that since AVB's first choice has gone to Chel**** he will resign to just further developing what we have instead of over spending to bring in a second choice player.

In my opinion the difference between an advanced playmaker (Silva, Mata etc) and deep playmaker (Modric) is they possess more skill with the ball at their feet aswell as having the vision and range of the deeper playmaker. Even though Modric and Moutinho type players can take on their man they are less likely to weave in and out of a couple of tackles on the edge of the box to get into that goal scoring / assisting position but they will come deep to receive the ball and help out defensively.

A Deep lying playmaker will sit in the middle of the park and help the game tick over nicely, play balls out to the wingers as quickly as possible and also look for defence splitting passes, where as an advance playmaker will receive the ball higher up the pitch and will interchange with the wingers alot of the time and try to make things happen from all over the pitch not just centrally. These advance play makers will probably have, like you say a higher scoring and assists rate compared to the deeper playmaker as they have more in their locker in terms of shooting.

As for Lamela i have not seen to much of him but he seems similar to Bale but with a passing brain but im not 100% sure he could be our David Silva as i think he is much more direct. Holtby could quite easily be our number 10 if he fulfils the potential he has shown so far.

This is all just my opinion of course.

I don't think we NEED one, even without Bale we're pretty darn good, but it's probably worth it just to avoid the thousands of posts about needing one throughout the season and how Levy has ****ed up. We do need an in-form Ade or someone else brought in as an option to Soldado.

Back