• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fabio Paratici - Consultant

Never too many but need better tools for them.
I think moneyball 2.0 will come in handy for finance folks with big data linking financial results to player performance and on the pitch results.

Moneyball 3.0 will have even more data from companies like Cambridge Analytica providing invasive insights on how players use and take care of their minds and bodies off-work. To help us avoid lazy players.

There's way too many finance people having input into football decision in the club.
Levy (amazon spoiler) knows even less bout football than I feared.

Well run clubs (City, Liverpool, Bayern) don't have their CEO making football recruitment decisions.

And from someone who is as pro ENIC as it gets.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I spend too much time on Spurs. I dreamt last night that Amazon had been announced as the stadium sponsor following this news.

Both Levy and Amazon have a thing for keeping wages low so might be a good match.
Be nice to get some Amazon prime next day transfers done, although we shouldn’t offer the same no questions asked refund policy as we wouldn’t be able to pull a Wimmer off again...

This looks to me like Levy bringing in someone experienced in running football clubs and setting up a team to support them, so that he can concentrate on what he is best at.
If this gets Levy away from involvement in transfers and squad matters I'm all for it.

In principle this is a much needed development. I've felt that as a rapidly developing organisation it was crazy how much Levy was doing - the reason he is paid (pays himself) so much is that he was performing the role of Chairman, Chief Executive and Director of Football; he seems to keep a very short chain of command which usually hints at a lack of trust in others.

The much discussed 'Soccernomics' book (well worth a read) always cited Lyon's business model as an exemplar where all football decisions were made by a group of people including the 1st Team Manager and 'sporting director' amongst others.

The fact that our DoF role - as we traditionally think of it - are spread between seemingly four people (Levy, Rebecca Capelhorn, Birch and Hitchens) in theory is a good thing as means it is not totally reliant on the relationship between the 1st team coach and then a single point of contact - that system only really works when then two really get on (Arnesen and Jol) but can be disasterous if they are not on the same page (Arnesen & Santini; Commoli & Jol).

The downside of such a structure could be that decision making and accountability suffer; also needs to be a case of Levy trusting the system and not taking over.

Essentially what we want out of this structure is a considered approach to player development and transfers in/out with swift actions taken in line with the wishes of the 1st Team Manager i.e. we don't have to wait 6 weeks to haggle over £2m extra for Aurier to prevent us making our next move.

If only we'd had the system and structure in place in 2018!

In principle this is a much needed development. I've felt that as a rapidly developing organisation it was crazy how much Levy was doing - the reason he is paid (pays himself) so much is that he was performing the role of Chairman, Chief Executive and Director of Football; he seems to keep a very short chain of command which usually hints at a lack of trust in others.

The much discussed 'Soccernomics' book (well worth a read) always cited Lyon's business model as an exemplar where all football decisions were made by a group of people including the 1st Team Manager and 'sporting director' amongst others.

The fact that our DoF role - as we traditionally think of it - are spread between seemingly four people (Levy, Rebecca Capelhorn, Birch and Hitchens) in theory is a good thing as means it is not totally reliant on the relationship between the 1st team coach and then a single point of contact - that system only really works when then two really get on (Arnesen and Jol) but can be disasterous if they are not on the same page (Arnesen & Santini; Commoli & Jol).

The downside of such a structure could be that decision making and accountability suffer; also needs to be a case of Levy trusting the system and not taking over.

Essentially what we want out of this structure is a considered approach to player development and transfers in/out with swift actions taken in line with the wishes of the 1st Team Manager i.e. we don't have to wait 6 weeks to haggle over £2m extra for Aurier to prevent us making our next move.

Well we tried the DoF structure long before anyone else (and long before 2018) in England and the press (and our fans) spent fudging years harping on how it "would never work in UK" because UK is "special"

Now, every idiot is like "well, a modern club demands so much, you just have to have a DoF structure in place"

Not going after you specifically if that isn't obvious ..

Well we tried the DoF structure long before anyone else (and long before 2018) in England and the press (and our fans) spent fudging years harping on how it "would never work in UK" because UK is "special"

Now, every idiot is like "well, a modern club demands so much, you just have to have a DoF structure in place"

I think the last couple of years has definitely proved a lot of the UK is ‘special’...

Couple of things.....

We needed a DoF structure.....as opposed to Levy fulfilling the role...whilst at the same time performing the role of Chairman without an MD or CEO and having led on the stadium project and the continued partnership with NFL plus all the other things he's probably doing that we don't know about that should be beyond the realms of a 'Chairman'.

I think the role, or at least the perception, of what a Director of Football/sporting Director is and does has evolved. 20 years ago the role was usually associated with an out of work manager who in essence was supposed to act as a conduit between Coach and Chairman but in reality probably just undermined the relationship between the two. Where we've tried it and it's not worked is because the DofF appears to have subservient to the Manager which totally negates the stability and long-term strategy that the structure is supposed to secure.

The more modern approach seems to be that the role can be fulfilled by executives and/or glorified scouts. What I like about our model is that it spreads the duties across a variety of key personnel.

it was recently reported that our head scout had received a promotion in the shake up of our coaching staff. My question is - why? What has he done to deserve it?

IMO our recruitment since Son has been entirely dreadful. Who has he actually discover and is worth more now than we paid? We needed a striker in January yet bought Berwyn - yet another attacking wide man to go with Son, Moura, Lamela, Sessegnon and Sissoko. He is hardly an upgrade. Yet we have one single Centre Forward. It is just crazy.

I can't understand why Levy hasn't sacked him and all the so called scouts.

it was recently reported that our head scout had received a promotion in the shake up of our coaching staff. My question is - why? What has he done to deserve it?

IMO our recruitment since Son has been entirely dreadful. Who has he actually discover and is worth more now than we paid? We needed a striker in January yet bought Berwyn - yet another attacking wide man to go with Son, Moura, Lamela, Sessegnon and Sissoko. He is hardly an upgrade. Yet we have one single Centre Forward. It is just crazy.

Yes man.

Moaning git too in the Amazon doc. His job is to get players in and all he does is complain about the January window. Poor widdle boy.

These are the players that we have signed since he came back to the club as Head Scout.

Sanchez, Gazzaniga, Foyth, Aurier, Llorente, Moura, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Clark, Fernandez, Bergwijn

It will be interesting to see if Levy cuts his own pay now he has diluted his role.

Back