• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fabio Paratici - Consultant

I don't know what to think anymore. Or say.

Because nothing I think, or might say, will make the slightest difference. Certainly not from five time zones to the west of this schitshow.

I found this resignation letter interesting because it highlights the huge team of people being the "Sporting Director" who organise loans, scouting, stats, videos etc.

Worth a read so you can see the enormous project Paratici is trying to organise, lots of teams of people to bring together on the journey. Not one man.

PS - if this guy is moving on at 42 after 10 years, how the hell did he get this job at Liverpool aged 32?! Jeez I'm old.

Michael Edwards has written an open letter to Liverpool supporters explaining why he is leaving his role as sporting director - while giving his backing to successor Julian Ward.
Edwards will depart Anfield at the end of the season having chosen not to extend his current deal.
The 42-year-old, who first moved to the Reds in November 2011, has become a key figure in their recruitment and helped construct a squad that under Jurgen Klopp has won the Premier League, Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup.
Edwards will remain at the club until the summer while overseeing the transition of his successor Ward, who is currently assistant sporting director.
Edwards said: "Ten years, that’s a pretty long time in anyone’s working life. In football terms, it is an era in itself, particularly at a club like Liverpool where the expectations and standards are never anything other than as high as the supporters deserve.
"To be part of this club during this period has been a privilege due to the people I have been fortunate enough to work with and the success we have enjoyed.
"But all good things must come to an end and, in my case, I recently completed my final summer window as Liverpool sporting director. Even writing those words seems a bit surreal, but at the end of this season I will pack up my laptop and leave my office at the AXA Training Centre for the last time.
"Before I do so, though, I wanted to take this opportunity to explain the reasons why I’m moving on because I’m a great believer that supporters deserve clarity at times like this. The last thing I want is unfounded speculation, particularly as I know the Liverpool Football Club that I am leaving behind couldn’t be in better hands.
"As with most people my age, I would often watch Liverpool on the TV when I was growing up, with them being one of the most dominant sides in English football in my earlier years. I would spend hour upon hour in my back garden trying to replicate my idols from the television screen but it goes without saying that I never came close to any of them, though it wasn’t for the want of trying.
"Even as a kid, I knew the way Liverpool players represented this club set a standard for everyone to live up to. You literally had to be the best, or be capable of contributing to being the best as part of a collective, so not in a million years did I imagine back then that I would actually end up at Anfield and certainly not in the role I have operated in for the past five years.
"I had always planned to cap my time at the club to a maximum of 10 years. I’ve loved working here, but I am a big believer in change. I think it’s good for the individual and, in a work setting, good for the employer too. Over my time here we have changed so many things (hopefully for the better) but someone new brings a different perspective, new ideas and can hopefully build on (or change) the things that have been put in place beforehand.
"That’s how I believe businesses/football clubs stay ahead; you need to evolve and at the heart of this kind of process is always people. That evolution has always been central to Liverpool’s history and I hope that this is one thing that doesn’t change.
"As my wife would testify, I’m not great at the here and now. I’ve always looked ahead and for the past couple of years I’ve known that the time for me to leave this role was approaching and I think it is entirely fitting that the person to take over from me is Julian Ward.
"As was the case with myself, I doubt you will hear much from him, but on this occasion I will speak on his behalf in the knowledge what I have to say will be greeted with widespread agreement by everyone who has come across him both inside and outside the club.
"Julian has been building up the skill set for this role for many years and there are countless elements of his development that could be highlighted, none more so than the outstanding work he did in creating our loan department six years ago.
"It was during this period that he not only laid the groundwork for a long-term process that continues to provide significant benefit to players and club, he also accelerated his learning on many of the aspects you deal with as a sporting director.
"Last year, he took on the role of assistant sporting director and over the past 12 months he has been introduced to other facets of the role that are vital to its success. Again, Julian’s elevation is wholly in keeping with what I believe to be a key factor of the Liverpool Way, with promotion from within ensuring expertise, experience and institutional knowledge are cherished in the way that they should be.
"Over the remainder of this season, I will continue to support him as we complete the leadership transition, working closely with Mike Gordon – the man who never sleeps.
"When I informed Mike of my decision to leave, I said I hoped the next partnership he has is as good as the one I have shared with him. Along with Jurgen and Brendan before him, we have had a lot of decisions to make over the years, some of which have worked better than others but all of which have been taken in the best interests of Liverpool FC.
"Mike shuns the limelight, most of you wouldn’t recognise him if he walked down the street (which I have always found funny) but he is a seriously smart man, hard-working, strategic and able to connect with such a wide range of people.
"It was Mike who promoted me and believed in me. He gave me the opportunity and, having done so, he then gave me a lot of autonomy and responsibility, something that I will always appreciate. In keeping with his low profile, I know a lot of people don’t realise the extent of his involvement in the daily workings of the club, not just in my department but right across the board.
"He is so passionate about LFC and this is clear in his commitment to the cause and his willingness to do everything in his power to make the club as competitive as it possibly can be.
"By their own admission, FSG may have got a few things wrong but it is sometimes easy to overlook the ton of things that they have got right and as someone who has worked closely with them for a long time I know just how passionate they are about winning and about the club. The transformation of Liverpool from the club I joined a decade ago is such that there aren’t too many similarities beyond the name and for this Mike, in particular, should get a lot of the credit.
"If I ever meet anyone, they inevitably ask me about signings or players we have sold and I know transfers are one of the exciting parts of the role that I have performed. It can be a lot of fun buying and selling and it’s something I have enjoyed, particularly when players we have brought in have made a positive difference.
"Like everything, though, there is a team of people that have worked alongside me whose hard work and combined expertise should never be overlooked or understated.
"Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter joined Liverpool the year after me and they have been integral in building a world-class scouting department. For those who don’t know Barry – and there can’t be many – he was a hard-hitting Northern Irish centre-back who has a contacts book that reads like a who’s who of football.
"He is always on the go and could put away more food than the average male elephant. Dave is simply Google, I’ve never known anyone with a memory like his or an ability to think outside of the box when innovative solutions are required.
"For years I have been labelled ‘stats man’, which those who know me best find pretty funny. Of course, we do have a stats man. His name is Ian Graham and like Dave and Barry he joined not long after me from a company called Decision Technology. Knowing he was a Liverpool fan was enough for John Henry and myself to persuade him to actually join a club rather than act as consultant to one.
"Ian and his team (Daf, Tim and Will) are geniuses in my eyes and without doubt the best in their field in world football. Contrary to popular belief, we don’t sign players off 'stats' but the information provided from their research does play a crucial role in our decision-making.
"Whether it is video, written reports, data, background checks or good old-fashioned scouting from the stand, it all goes into the big decision-making melting pot. And when you make a decision, all this information allows you to do is mitigate the risk you are taking.
"Outside of these guys, Woody (David Woodfine) has been there to glue things together. A former officer from the Royal Navy who I have known for many years, he is the most organised man you could ever meet (you should see him pack a suitcase) as well as being a problem solver who gets things done.

I may watch the Juve All or Nothing series on Amazon, just to see how involved Paratici was at Juve. But i'll probably get bored and see sense after 5 mins and switch off.

Now watch him being put behind bars for a couple of years - with us appointing Big Sam as interim director of football, Conte resigning, while the current crop of players keep folding under pressure under a few more managers.

He wasnt involved in the previous one
It’s well worth watching the series bad sports on Netflix. They have one episode on the Italian football scandal

Does anyone know about italian transfers?

Was watching a youtube vid the other day. It was sky sports news guys but also one from italy and one from germany having lunch. The italian guy was saying that during the transfer window all of the dofs meet up in 2 or 3 hotels and thrash out deals. So there could be multi layered deals. X club takes player from club y who gets player from club z who gets player from club x. Was just wondering if it was the case? Does sound proper back room and you can understand how it can become corrupted. But love it.

Does anyone know about italian transfers?

Was watching a youtube vid the other day. It was sky sports news guys but also one from italy and one from germany having lunch. The italian guy was saying that during the transfer window all of the dofs meet up in 2 or 3 hotels and thrash out deals. So there could be multi layered deals. X club takes player from club y who gets player from club z who gets player from club x. Was just wondering if it was the case? Does sound proper back room and you can understand how it can become corrupted. But love it.

They seem more practical than other leagues, they seem to get done if it makes sense to both parties. Egos and rivalries seem to play less of a part. More acceptance of the food chain

They seem more practical than other leagues, they seem to get done if it makes sense to both parties. Egos and rivalries seem to play less of a part. More acceptance of the food chain

There should be no acceptance of the food chain. Should we have just rolled over and given kane to city for below his value? Europa league and a top 6 finish as good as it gets?

It’s how I understand it too
That’s why they need the DOFs

Its remarkable that clubs, including us for several years, exist without a DoF. GIven the complexity of getting deals done and inter-dependencies of various deals, the idea that a club could compete without one is crazy

Not having Royal or Gollini. We should have had the lad the scum signed at RB and Paratici opted for Royal ? Surely question marks there.

Romero and Gil have been only plus points in his first window . State of our squad at present 50% success rate not going to cut it.

Back