1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Derek Lamela

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by SuprSi, 30 Aug 2013.

1. milo

milo Tony Galvin Staff Member

He doesn't keep breaking down fitness wise. It is squad management, exactly the same as we have seen with other players in his position this season. He's played 18 games in all competitions this season, to Eriksen's 22, Alli's 19, Son's 24 and Moura's 26.

2. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Steffen Freund

The only time we will spend remotely big money IMO is when we know what the ground has cost us and we won’t know that until we’re in....

I don’t think selling any player of real value is the answer unless it’s in an area where we have options like right back

For me we should just accept our current position and offload any true squad players for which we have plenty in Nkodu, Jansen, Llorente and now arguably Dembele and Wanyama

Shift 2/3 of them would be a healthy thing for the team

StephenH and milo like this.
  3. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

I don’t follow other teams as much as Spurs but I’m sure our rivals have had injuries too. Koscielney was out for 6+ months and Mkhitaryan is out for 6 weeks with a metatarsal.

Liverpool have their 2nd and 3rd choice CB’s out which is why Lovren is getting a game otherwise he wouldn’t be starting.

We definitely need a CM in this window.

Pirate55 likes this.
  4. Jurgen the German

I wouldn’t even consider selling Lamela unless we get a truly ridiculous offer, nothing less than £50m. He’s a vital squad player and seems to love playing for Poch and for the club.

DaygoSpur, yiddo37 and mjc23 like this.
  5. Bedfordspurs

Lovren has been a first pick when he has been fit since he signed. Gomez has come in this year when he wasn’t out

Agree on Kocielny but he has been on a downward spiral for some time

City cant win when they don’t have Fernandinho after their spending, it’s utter bonkers

6. Jurgen the German

Pretty sure Lovren is 4th choice CB for them these days as he has only started 8 league games whereas Gomez has started 13.

Anyway back to us, Dier having an appendectomy can’t be helped but everyone at the club knows about Wanyama and Dembele’s injury records so we should have made at least one signing to allow for that, Dembele’s form even when fit hasn’t be great so we needed a replacement for that reason alone.

harr1984 likes this.
  7. Bedfordspurs

Only because he was injured after the WC. Don’t forget he was their starting CB in the CL final
    And Dier being out is a huge loss but we deal with our injuries

8. Jurgen the German

That was last season though, he’s not first or second choice anymore.

We do deal with injuries well I agree but we still need at least one more CM.

9. Bedfordspurs

We do need a new CM

But i have to say lovren gets picked by Plopp when he is fit.

10. P.D.

P.D. Jonathan Woodgate

Oxlade-Chamberlain is out for the season don't forget.

11. the dza

the dza Steffen Iversen

Yep, he does. When they played City at Anfield earlier in the season, I think it was Lovren's first game back. They put him straight back in the team and moved Gomes to right-back. Think he has started more often than not since then.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  12. Bedfordspurs

He has

13. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney John Lacy

They'd be 3rd if he was fit.

14. parklane1

parklane1 Dimitar Berbatov

All sides get injurys ( that"s why most of them have large squads), we have had a few more this year ( then usual) but overall it happens to most sides.

15. elltrev

elltrev Scott Parker

Yup, we've had far more than our fair share this season - amazing really that we're doing so well given our injuries and lack of stadium!

Using data from transfermarkt.com, I've done an analysis of how many games have been missed through injury across Spurs, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea's first team squads this season - just to hammer the point home:

upload_2019-1-2_15-37-48.png

Incredible!

16. Rorschach

Rorschach Gary Stevens

Chelsea with 4? That is incredible.

Bullet likes this.
  17. braineclipse

braineclipse Andy Thompson

Great work.

Part of that is more credible than incredible. We can't be surprised that Dembele, Wanyama and Lamela have struggled with injuries. We went into the season knowing that Winks struggled and that a lot of our players went far in the World Cup and probably would struggle a bit because of it.

I think we've been unlucky with injuries, but not as unlucky as those numbers on their own would have us think.

18. MKSpur

MKSpur Neil Sullivan

I think Eriksen and Alli being injured earlier in the seasonwas an anomaly for them and Son missed games because of Internationals so I think we will see the appearance gap to Lamela due to injuries extrapolate over the course of the season. Not saying they wouldn’t be picked ahead of him anyway but Lamela would probably always get a bench spot if he’s not injured based on this seasons contribution when he has played.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  19. elltrev

elltrev Scott Parker

Agreed, though you could argue that so many of our players going so far in the WC was unlucky for the club! And depending on how far back you go, you could also argue that we've been unlucky with the players you mention becoming injury prone after we bought them. Totally appreciate that we could have since made contingencies for them, but I don't think that negates that there was still some bad luck in the first place (and I like the idea of the club giving players the chance to turn things around, rather than throwing them on the scrapheap - call me a romantic!)

Also I would love to know for sure to what extent our World Cup exploits have indeed contributed to having greater injury problems. After all Kante, Hazard, Walker, Stones and Sterling have been fine, the bastards!

20. MKSpur

MKSpur Neil Sullivan

Poch said Derek was sick and is now available, good news and contrary to my injury concern.