1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Dele Alli

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Denmark Spur, 2 Feb 2015.

1. braineclipse

braineclipse Paul Stewart

I don't think a "Poch type formation and game plan" requires a Dembele clone. If it does then we shouldn't go down that route as Dembele clones are hard to find.

Quite a few teams are successful playing a similar style to Pochettino without a Dembele clone. Arguably all of them, including other teams managed by Pochettino.

2. Junior19

Junior19 Paul Moran

It is rather the "Eriksen-clone" that is instrumental, the conductor who sets the pace and rythm. The Dembele-clone is very nice for absorbing pressure, moving the ball through the first line of pressure.
    One could argue that now that Kane is dropping back as a nr 10 more, he could fill that role, either alone or in combinations with Lo Celso/S.Omeone. But i'd rather have him as his very best nr. 9.

Robbo and Bedfordspurs like this.
  3. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

Pretty much how i saw the game as well, first half he was OK in the second he faded ( not a surprise). Alli does have a lot of credit in the bank from s ome supporters because of what he did when he first arrived. But because of several reasons ( s ome which are/were) down to him he lacks match fitness. Will he get it here only time will tell.

4. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment John Lacy

21 PL goals and 13 assists suggests we are getting the best of both worlds since he dropped back.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:cool:

MKSpur likes this.
  5. Junior19

Junior19 Paul Moran

I know, but I'm greedy! I want all the goals Kane can score, all the goals Son can score, and all the goals Bale can score. If Kane is relieved of his supplier-duties and someone else provided those 13+ assists, my very simple and horrible wrong math gives us at least 10 extra Kane-goals. :)

I want Kane to knock Shearer off his "fu**ing perch", if I may borrow and tweak Fergies expression. And I want him to do it in Spurs-colours..

:)

Spur of the moment likes this.
  6. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment John Lacy

Yay!

Better still, how about all the goals he can score PLUS all the assists he can deliver! :D:D:D

Caitano likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Andy Sinton

I'd rather we didn't go for a Demebele clone. His passing range and execution was never good enough. It's sacrilegious to say this now but Demebele was good in the defensive aspect but pretty poor in getting the ball moving, he was one of the main reasons we struggled against tight defenses so often because he was just incapable of moving the ball quickly.

As has been said an Eriksen clone would be far more useful.

glasgowspur and parklane1 like this.
  8. billyiddo

billyiddo Terry Dyson Staff Member

Harsh appraisal of Dembele - no coincidence the team without him playing regularly regressed - even with Eriksen still playing regularly.

That team had great players all over the pitch so i think it's silly to get in to a debate over who was the best/most important of them all but Dembele was every bit as important as anyone else in that team and we've missed him dearly since he ceased to be a first team regular.

9. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Frederic Kanoute

Played ok but people expecting prime Alli after a season under master Jose need a head check.

Spur of the moment and StephenH like this.
  10. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

I do agree, Dembele was a very good player for sure but for me he should have been better, he had bags of talent but he always looked like he never gave what he could have done. I know they will be many who will disagree with that though.

Pirate55, SteveAWOL and Bishop like this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Andy Sinton

I wasn't saying Demebele was unimportant just that I'd rather we didn't go down the exact clone route as he was far from perfect. His passing range and selection was ultimately poor and slow. We needed quicker play in the middle and we would still need that now.

12. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Steffen Freund

Yup, keep reading how so many of Dembele’s former teammates consider him the most talented footballer they’ve ever played alongside (with some Belgians even considering his abilities superior to Hazard or De Bruyne) and yet he was never quite able to inspire Spurs to silverware.

If only someone like Pochettino had coached Mousa in the early part of career then perhaps he’d have proved capable of matching Gascoigne’s heroics in the 1991 FA Cup but sadly his only semi-final appearance will be remembered for getting dispossessed by Pogba whilst Poch didn’t even select Dembele to start the 2015 League Cup Final.

So I can’t help but think that after he hangs up his boots Mousa will look back on his career with regrets (much like Jenas does nowadays) especially when he meets up with the rest of Belgium’s golden generation in decades to come and only has that solitary winners medal for the 2008-09 Eredivise to show for his playing days.

Pirate55, parklane1 and thfcsteff like this.
  13. Raziel

Raziel Chris Perry

Poch and Dembele tactically = good fit
    Poch and Dembele re injury management = disaster

It is one of my pains with Poch that he simply didn't manage players with injuries well (Dembele & Lamela come to mind)

I think the difference with Demebele vs. JJ re regrets is JJ simply didn't fudging apply himself all the time and that's a big part of his post career view, not sure you can level that at Dembele.

To put this slightly back on topic, the JJ concern is exactly the Dele concern, his career is at a crosspoint, does he go on and be something truly special or just a guy that had a spectacular couple of years (and he only needs to look at Kane pounding out great year after great year to know he's fudging up right now)

14. billyiddo

billyiddo Terry Dyson Staff Member

15. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Steffen Freund