• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Where are all the Mourinho fanboys complaining about the cheek of Dele Alli trying things now?

"He should have laid that off rather than go for a low percentage opportunity"

If Alli had spent the last year listening to Mourinho he would be Jake Livermore right now. Mourinho ruined Joe Cole. I'm glad Alli has resisted him. That goal was a kick up the arse for Mourinho in the way out.

You are joking right? Where is this label coming from? Have you actually watched a Mourinho team before his time at Spurs and United?

Jose ruined Joe Cole? Did he ruin Sneijder, Stankovic, Balotelli? Stop with the generalisations. It is false and character assassination.

Where are all the Mourinho fanboys complaining about the cheek of Dele Alli trying things now?

If Alli had spent the last year listening to Mourinho he would be Jake Livermore right now. Mourinho ruined Joe Cole. I'm glad Alli has resisted him. That goal was a kick up the arse for Mourinho in the way out.
Your obsession with Mourinho is a little disturbing, and what you’re trying to highlight now is a pretty dumb argument. You won’t find anyone including Mourinho complaining about trying something in the oppositions penalty area when attempting to shoot. Trying a flick on the half way line is something different altogether....

Are you serious? Jose has made him a better player, the person who got a kick up the arse was Dele, fudging show up every fudging game = you play, don't = you don't even make the bench.

If Dele "proves" Jose wrong for the next 3 months, who do you think wins?

He did well today, good for him, let's see him kick on

Sorry but that is a really stupid post.

Are you serious? Jose has made him a better player, the person who got a kick up the arse was Dele, fudging show up every fudging game = you play, don't = you don't even make the bench.

If Dele "proves" Jose wrong for the next 3 months, who do you think wins?

He did well today, good for him, let's see him kick on
Jose has made him a better player? Against West Ham on Sunday you were saying Dele was completely ineffective. Today he has a good game suddenly Jose is a brilliant man manager who has improved him? Go figure.

Jose has made him a better player? Against West Ham on Sunday you were saying Dele was completely ineffective. Today he has a good game suddenly Jose is a brilliant man manager who has improved him? Go figure.

He's made him work, he's made him focus, today's game is more of what everyone knows Dele "can" do, the problem is what he does do.

What Dele has figured out is part performances don't get him on the side, see Jose's interview post match, the goal didn't impress him, the work, the assists, the playing for the team did.

When last did you see Dele play like that?

And to be clear, like Ndombele, Jose isn't making him technically a better player, he's just making him work harder

Play like that, he's in the side, go back to some of the ok performances like West Ham and some of the earlier cup games, someone else will play

He's made him work, he's made him focus, today's game is more of what everyone knows Dele "can" do, the problem is what he does do.

What Dele has figured out is part performances don't get him on the side, see Jose's interview post match, the goal didn't impress him, the work, the assists, the playing for the team did.

And to be clear, like Ndombele, Jose isn't making him technically a better player, he's just making him work harder

Play like that, he's in the side, go back to some of the ok performances like West Ham and some of the earlier cup games, someone else will play
Jose has said many times (and I’ve said on here people should watch the doc on him on Netflix) that he can’t make great players better. He can make them smarter, fitter and part of a better team but their abilities and talent are theirs (and yes I’m paraphrasing)
He said it talking about drogba and eto

Jose has said many times (and I’ve said on here people should watch the doc on him on Netflix) that he can’t make great players better. He can make them smarter, fitter and part of a better team but their abilities and talent are theirs (and yes I’m paraphrasing)

Careful mate, Jose only alienates and destroys players or so I'm told

At the end of this season we may see a rejuvenated Ndombele, Aurier, Bale and Dele, but his man management skills suck

I have seen Dele perform well in pretty much all his cup games this season. I know you are not going to like me saying this but Dele is a super talented player who mostly performed brilliantly under Pochettino. He suffered a dip after returning from injury following the Fulham game in 2019. But I don’t think he ever hid. Mourinho has chosen not to use him for whatever reason, there seem to be issues going on behind the scenes. I have seen the rumours of “clear the air” talks between him and Jose, but I don’t know what truth is in this. I doubt benching someone like Dele has anything other than a detrimental effect on his morale. Its a mark of his talent and application that he plays well when given the opportunity (except West Ham apparently). But he’ll probably not start the next game. That is Jose’s prerogative as manager but let’s not pretend he is improving Dele.

As for Ndombele, he wowed us in his first few games under Poch but clearly had trouble adapting to the fitness demands of the PL. I don’t see any changes to his game. Jose has helped him develop his fitness as any other manager would. He is a top player who is performing in the way Poch thought he might when he asked Levy to sign him. Work harder though? I don’t see it but happy to be shown otherwise.

@Modric THFC is a very good poster who takes a rather extreme position in relation to Jose, but in many ways you seem to take the opposite extreme for some reason.

That’s not specific to Jose though. Lots of managers do that including, dare I say it our previous manager. Judging from our league performances I don’t think Jose can claimed to have made any players smarter and fitter this season.

I have seen Dele perform well in pretty much all his cup games this season. I know you are not going to like me saying this but Dele is a super talented player who mostly performed brilliantly under Pochettino. He suffered a dip after returning from injury following the Fulham game in 2019. But I don’t he ever hid. Mourinho has chosen not to use him for whatever reason, there seem to be issues going on behind the scenes. I have seen the rumours of “clear the air” talks between him and Jose, but I don’t know what truth is in this. I doubt benching someone like Dele has anything other than a detrimental effect on his morale. Its a mark of his talent and application that he plays well when given the opportunity (except West Ham apparently). But he’ll probably not start the next game. That is Jose’s prerogative as manager but let’s not pretend he is improving Dele.

As for Ndombele, he wowed us in his first few games under Poch but clearly had trouble adapting to the fitness demands of the PL. I don’t see any changes to his game. Jose has helped him develop his fitness as any other manager would. He is a top player who is performing in the way Poch thought he might when he asked Levy to sign him. Work harder though? I don’t see it but happy to be shown otherwise.

@Modric THFC is a very good poster who takes a rather extreme position in relation to Jose, but in many ways you seem to take the opposite extreme for some reason.
Sorry.... but Ndombeles game has changed massively
For a start he now playing in a 2 which he was never doing in this early games you mentioned and that’s been a very recent move (it’s where he play at Lyon)
What were now seeing is a combination of tanguy getting fitter, growing as a player and having more confidence. Some of that is from the manager, some of that is from the player and some of that is actually natural progression due to his age

That’s not specific to Jose though. Lots of managers do that including, dare I say it our previous manager. Judging from our league performances I don’t think Jose can claimed to have made any players smarter and fitter this season.
Really?
I’ve never seen any coach say that publicly at least
And certainly not as their philosophy
Gladly be corrected
I mean it was mentioned in the athletic Spurs podcast this week as a Jose unique thing
And I’d say that Kane believe she is playing smarter. Aurier is certainly playing smarter (much less mistakes for a start)
Fitness.. don’t think so but I’d guess that’s hard to measure in the weird times were in. I’d certainly say that Jose’s team are known for hard work but not being super fit teams

Sorry.... but Ndombeles game has changed massively
For a start he now playing in a 2 which he was never doing in this early games you mentioned and that’s been a very recent move (it’s where he play at Lyon)
What were now seeing is a combination of tanguy getting fitter, growing as a player and having more confidence. Some of that is from the manager, some of that is from the player and some of that is actually natural progression due to his age
But he may well have made that move anyway once he settled in. I am sure Poch played him in front of the defence a few times, it’s difficult to remember because he was so unfit. Yes Mourinho can take credit for the fact he is fitter more settled and confident. But not really for changing his game.

I have seen Dele perform well in pretty much all his cup games this season. I know you are not going to like me saying this but Dele is a super talented player who mostly performed brilliantly under Pochettino. He suffered a dip after returning from injury following the Fulham game in 2019. But I don’t he ever hid. Mourinho has chosen not to use him for whatever reason, there seem to be issues going on behind the scenes. I have seen the rumours of “clear the air” talks between him and Jose, but I don’t know what truth is in this. I doubt benching someone like Dele has anything other than a detrimental effect on his morale. Its a mark of his talent and application that he plays well when given the opportunity (except West Ham apparently). But he’ll probably not start the next game. That is Jose’s prerogative as manager but let’s not pretend he is improving Dele.

You don't think Ndombele works harder now vs. before? I can't even argue that it's so out there. He's always been an extremely talented footballer but work hard, do a defensive shift? you think he could have played as the deep CM under Poch?

Re Dele, today is the 2nd time this season I've seen him put in a real shift (the first was Marine). This idea that Dele has always been some dedicated and disciplined player is just not my observation, at his best under Poch he would be ineffective for parts of games, then pop up and score and/or assist. And that's what's had to change, if he isn't in the game he has to score, if he doesn't then he isn't worth his place (and why players like Lucas/Bergwijn/Lamela have been keeping him out of the side). Today's Dele (not the one against West Ham or most sides this season) controlled the game, imposed himself, created, ran, scored. All that is his natural talent, all I think Jose has done is make sure he understands he needs to put it all out there or else someone with half his talent (but can be depended on) will take his place.

You might not think that is managing a player, but how else do you classify it?

Really?
I’ve never seen any coach say that publicly at least
And certainly not as their philosophy
Gladly be corrected
I mean it was mentioned in the athletic Spurs podcast this week as a Jose unique thing
And I’d say that Kane believe she is playing smarter. Aurier is certainly playing smarter (much less mistakes for a start)
Fitness.. don’t think so but I’d guess that’s hard to measure in the weird times were in. I’d certainly say that Jose’s team are known for hard work but not being super fit teams

can you show me where Kane says he is playing smarter. As for Aurier that’s just an opinion. I judge a manager by how well his team are performing and we have mostly performed appalling since the Arsenal game.

Ndombele has gotten fitter and is therefore better able to showcase his ability, Jose has obviously played his part in that, he's the manager afterall. But remember we're only just getting towards the 2 years Poch said it would take for the player to settle in to the English game.

can you show me where Kane says he is playing smarter. As for Aurier that’s just an opinion. I judge a manager by how well his team are performing and we have mostly performed appalling since the Arsenal game.
I can get you Kane’s quotes saying he is playing the best football of his career under his current manager only a few months ago https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2020/december/i-m-in-the-best-form-of-my-life-harry-kane
Oh and as for the Tanguys game hasnt changed comments.., I saw him okay for Lyon. I also said he is the man we should sign to replace Demebele on this very site. What he has changed though is his passing which has improved immensely and he now has goals. More goals for Spurs than all his other clubs combined I think. Again I’m not saying their Jose things although arguably letting him attack more or even making him the instigator of the attacks is key to the measure of those improvements
Aurier has had one bad game since the Arsenal game and that was Leicester. IMO (and I was a huge critic) he has earned his place in the team and has been our best defender even when we had the best defence in the league. But as you says it’s about opinions

Mates, really not trying to argue on this one

- Kane has added more assists to his game this season than the previous 3 or 4 combined while still retaining his strike rate
- Aurier is a vastly improved player vs. anytime previous in his career
- Ndombele is a much better all round player than he was, fitter, stronger on the ball, able to play defensively, offensively. And btw, Reguilon has showed up that two year brick ..
- PEH looks a way better player than the one Southampton had
- Bale looks something like the player he last was 3 years ago
- Dele has probably just had his best game in a season

This is separate from if the team has played brick, separate from if you think Jose's tactics are brick, separate from if you think he should be fired now.

To sit here and really say, nah, I don't see improvements in individuals? it's really just anything Jose bad at this point

You don't think Ndombele works harder now vs. before? I can't even argue that it's so out there. He's always been an extremely talented footballer but work hard, do a defensive shift? you think he could have played as the deep CM under Poch?
Well my 93 year old gran could work harder than Ndombele did last season. But he played alongside Sissoko in a midfield 2 under Poch and had to do defensive work then too. So no I don’t think the “defensive shift” he is putting in now is particular to Jose.

Re Dele, today is the 2nd time this season I've seen him put in a real shift (the first was Marine). This idea that Dele has always been some dedicated and disciplined player is just not my observation, at his best under Poch he would be ineffective for parts of games, then pop up and score and/or assist. And that's what's had to change, if he isn't in the game he has to score, if he doesn't then he isn't worth his place (and why players like Lucas/Bergwijn/Lamela have been keeping him out of the side). Today's Dele (not the one against West Ham or most sides this season) controlled the game, imposed himself, created, ran, scored. All that is his natural talent, all I think Jose has done is make sure he understands he needs to put it all out there or else someone with half his talent (but can be depended on) will take his place.

You’re not exactly impartial when it comes to Dele. He has always worked hard and played multiple positions in midfield. Do you not remember him playing in the defensive midfield position as well as in more offensive positions. I don’t disagree he did at times dip in and out of games but several of our players did that, Kane, Eriksen. I’ll wait and see if he benefits from “tough love” but I am not sure this kind of management has ever really improved a player. It’s usually the first step towards the player leaving.

Back