• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

To consider whether the manager had been backed or not I think you’d have to look at net spend over the transfer windows they’ve been in for. Jose has had two windows....

Bergwijn = £27m
Lo Celso = £29m to make the loan permanent
Doherty = £15m
Hojbjerg = £15m
Regulion = £27m
Rodon = £11m
Gedson =£3m loan fee
Vinicius = £3m loan fee

Total incomings; £130m.
= £65m gross spent per window on average.

Outgoings:
Eriksen = £24m
KWP = £12m
Rose = £2m loan fee

Net total = £92m
= £46m per window.

In his 11 transfer Windows at Spurs Pochettino spent a total of £400 million on incoming player purchases and loans and recouped just over £300 million for outgoing players. Net total = £100m.

Gross spend per window = £36.4m
Net spend per window = £9.1m

Lets face it you cannot judge if a manager has been backed more than the other without them spending a similar amount of time at the club. Looking at it now is the same way Sherwood looks at his win ratio.

Lets face it you cannot judge if a manager has been backed more than the other without them spending a similar amount of time at the club. Looking at it now is the same way Sherwood looks at his win ratio.
Indeed.... we’ll see how much Jose gets to spend as time goes on. However the facts of the matter are that he has had significantly more to spend so far than Pochettino did, based simply on cold hard numbers (from tranfermrkt)

To consider whether the manager had been backed or not I think you’d have to look at net spend over the transfer windows they’ve been in for. Jose has had two windows....

Bergwijn = £27m
Doherty = £15m
Hojbjerg = £15m
Regulion = £27m
Rodon = £11m
Gedson =£3m loan fee
Vinicius = £3m loan fee

Total incomings; £130m.

Outgoings:
Eriksen = £24m
KWP = £12m
Rose = £2m loan fee

Net total = £92m
= £46m per window.

In his 11 transfer Windows at Spurs Pochettino spent a total of £400 million on incoming player purchases and loans and recouped just over £300 million for outgoing players. Net total = £100m.

You can include Lo Celso and Bergwijn to support your argument if you want, but the reality is Mourinho openly said Bergwijn wasn’t his target and Lo Celso deal was agreed under Pochs tenure and was always going to be made permanent. They were not Mourinho targets and not an example of backing him and these two account for a massive amount of what you are claiming....

You can include Lo Celso and Bergwijn to support your argument if you want, but the reality is Mourinho openly said Bergwijn wasn’t his target and Lo Celso deal was agreed under Pochs tenure and was always going to be made permanent. They were not Mourinho targets and not an example of backing him and these two account for a massive amount of what you are claiming....
I’m not including them to support an argument. I am including them as they were signed by Jose. I’m sure he could’ve vetoed either deal and used the money otherwise. I have simply reported the facts of our spend under each of the managers for all incomings and outgoings.

if a new manager came in to replace Jose then he may or may not choose to make Vinicius permanent. That would be the new manager’s signing and not Jose’s.

I’m not including them to support an argument. I am including them as they were signed by Jose. I’m sure he could’ve vetoed either deal and used the money otherwise. I have simply reported the facts of our spend under each of the managers for all incomings and outgoings.

if a new manager came in to replace Jose then he may or may not choose to make Vinicius permanent. That would be the new manager’s signing and not Jose’s.
Then we just disagree on what backing a manager means. Mourinho specifically said Bergwijn was not his first option, yet you are choosing that as an example of him being backed - yet loads were claiming Poch wasn’t backed because all too often he didn’t get his first choice signing....

Indeed.... we’ll see how much Jose gets to spend as time goes on. However the facts of the matter are that he has had significantly more to spend so far than Pochettino did, based simply on cold hard numbers (from tranfermrkt)
Yep
Because we have more money now
I mean it’s clear that since the ground got built we have spent more money than before
As was always the plan we were lead to believe
I’m convinced if we hadn’t lost money due to Covid we would have spent more last window if we had it.
Isn’t that exactly why we built the stadium? To compete more!

Then we just disagree on what backing a manager means. Mourinho specifically said Bergwijn was not his first option, yet you are choosing that as an example of him being backed - yet loads were claiming Poch wasn’t backed because all too often he didn’t get his first choice signing....
Neither did avb
Neither did Harry
The issue of course was we couldn’t afford their first choice signings at the time
It happens but it’s an excuse for a failing later on. When people compare our Fernandez to the United Fernandes they quickly forget that one was a loan squad filler who was costing us very little in football terms and the other was a £50m signing so should be pretty decent

you can spin transfers anyway you like and people do

I’d argue Poch was backed with signings. He chose some great ones and some poor ones.
Jose has been backed so far too. Some have been great, some not and some need time to judge.

not sure how this aligns to the dele thread though :)

Neither did avb
Neither did Harry
The issue of course was we couldn’t afford their first choice signings at the time
It happens but it’s an excuse for a failing later on. When people compare our Fernandez to the United Fernandes they quickly forget that one was a loan squad filler who was costing us very little in football terms and the other was a £50m signing so should be pretty decent

you can spin transfers anyway you like and people do

I’d argue Poch was backed with signings. He chose some great ones and some poor ones.
Jose has been backed so far too. Some have been great, some not and some need time to judge.

not sure how this aligns to the dele thread though :)
That’s my fault, I thought I’d replied but it hadn’t gone through so got attached to another post.

I agree, I think Poch was backed well and so has Mourinho been to date....

That’s my fault, I thought I’d replied but it hadn’t gone through so got attached to another post.

I agree, I think Poch was backed well and so has Mourinho been to date....
I think backing (to go back off dele) should be judged proportionate of turnover and profit
That’s a sensible, reflective measure
And on the dele theme, one things for sure, we signed for a bargain fee and wouldn’t be leaving for anything less than a huge profit

You think all of the players Poch signed were first choices? Of course they weren’t.

As I said before, I have stuck to the facts only. You may not like them as they may not fit your argument.... I have simply accounted for players in and players out.

Poch had 11 windows spent an average of £36.4m gross, £9.1m net per window.

Jose has had 2 windows (though will be 3 soon) and has spent an average of £65m gross, £46m net. Cold, hard numbers. That is likely to reduce to £43m gross, £31m net after this window (as I can’t see us spending).

Last edited:
Steff, Finney was talking specifically about big games we didn’t win. It’s kind of hard to evaluate those games in context without mentioning the manager. I agree that Poch wasn’t backed in the transfer market as much as Jose has been and it’s true other teams arguably had deeper squads but I’m of the opinion that we still had a core group of very good players (with 1-2 world class players also) and seasoned internationals that we sometimes underperformed in some big games. Given our trophies or lack of them in the last 12 years not just under Poch’s tenure btw, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say he was fallible despite being our best manager certainly in my lifetime.

I think if your point overall was big match choking -and it embraced the last 12-15 years, it'd be hard to disagree. But you only mentioned Poch, who won MORE big matches than anyone I remember in recent times. We just looked back on 2017 in the pod - the man was horribly unlucky.

I think if your point overall was big match choking -and it embraced the last 12-15 years, it'd be hard to disagree. But you only mentioned Poch, who won MORE big matches than anyone I remember in recent times. We just looked back on 2017 in the pod - the man was horribly unlucky.
Specifics games in 2017?
I haven’t heard it yet

Bergwijn = £27m
Doherty = £15m
Hojbjerg = £15m
Regulion = £27m
Rodon = £11m
Gedson =£3m loan fee
Vinicius = £3m loan fee

Total incomings; £130m.

Outgoings:
Eriksen = £24m
KWP = £12m
Rose = £2m loan fee

Net total = £92m
= £46m per window.

Stadium?

Could you post the big games that Spurs won? Apart from Ajax, I can recall certain big games where we were expectant and the team flopped.

Bergwijn = £27m
Doherty = £15m
Hojbjerg = £15m
Regulion = £27m
Rodon = £11m
Gedson =£3m loan fee
Vinicius = £3m loan fee

Total incomings; £130m.

Outgoings:
Eriksen = £24m
KWP = £12m
Rose = £2m loan fee

Net total = £92m
= £46m per window.

Also factor in the relative inflation in purchase prices of players.

What inflation?

Things have gone down if anything
I have no bone in this particular battle but you are correct. The football inflation was at its height during Poch's time with us to the extent that 40ish million on Sanchez wasn't really picked up on by rival fans as being a big fee.

Since covid the fees have dropped.

Could you post the big games that Spurs won? Apart from Ajax, I can recall certain big games where we were expectant and the team flopped.

We had a great time under Poch for sure but we did let ourselves down when the crunch came, not putting all the blame on Poch but we did lack the winning mentality in the real big games and that was down to the players and Poch.

Yes, I could. But so could you if you looked through. The Emirates Marketing Project CL QF for a start...but tell you what, if you really want to go here, let's head to the Poch thread.

Back