• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

yeah, I wasn't comparing positions, just runs of form

that Alli has been brick (by his own standards) over the last 18 months won't deter anyone as his previous performances were so good

I understand some of that logic, but isn't that a little bit like saying Tim Sherwood will get a top job because even though he was brick in his last role he had a great win% record (2nd best in the PL ever) when he managed Spurs?

I understand some of that logic, but isn't that a little bit like saying Tim Sherwood will get a top job because even though he was brick in his last role he had a great win% record (2nd best in the PL ever) when he managed Spurs?

no, because he was always clearly clueless, it was obvious we were getting results despite him not because of him

Who do people think would be interested in buying Dele? What kind of team would want to buy him? Intriguing...

A team that can afford to carry a player in the hope that he turns up with a goal.

PSG.

As has been said, the only comparable player to Alli is Muller and he offers so much more and can play in multiple systems. Still don't want him to go though.

Julien Laurens completely denied all links to PSG on the Totally Football Show this morning, pretty well clued up on PSG and said none of it's true.

Jose is trying to get Dele's motor going again.

Julien Laurens completely denied all links to PSG on the Totally Football Show this morning, pretty well clued up on PSG and said none of it's true.

Yeah they talked about it on a few podcasts I’ve listened too where their consistently saying that PSG don’t have the money for him
They want a DM

Maybe he should tell him his dog died and it was his dying dog’s dying wish for dele to pull his finger out.

Laurens is one of those lazy, louche, cliche cuddling, big-club balls lickers that spout whatever tripe suits the media entity he's freelancing for. He's utterly contradicted by two of the most reliable news entities in the business - Daily Mail and Telegraph. They don't resort to spouting tripe about Spurs.

Well, not today anyway.

Didn’t Alli tweet years ago about not wanting to play for Jose? Personally Jose should be over that but I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t forgotten it.

I’d rather we didn’t sell Alli, BUT, he hasn’t kicked on since 2016/17. He needs a big kick up the arse. Should have happened under Poch tbh but he was very loyal to players, too loyal in some cases IMO. Assuming he’s not sold, it’s up to Alli to improve and adapt. If he does that and works hard then I’d love him to stay. Something isn’t right though, his progression has stalled for years and multiple managers. Don’t know if it’s his fault or our fault or a bit of both.

Still think Poch should have dropped him for the CL final. Can understand wanting to shoehorn Kane back into the team but why it was at Moura’s expense and not Alli’s I’ll never know.

31 goals/assists in 50 games in 17/18.

Still find it strange Spurs fans just pop this to one side. Not many young English AMs in the PL rolling out those numbers!

Still find it strange Spurs fans just pop this to one side. Not many young English AMs in the PL rolling out those numbers!
True
But everything gets referenced to his youth and his peers (Lampard, scholes etc...)
At 24 they were pulling up real trees so that’s the level he has to aim for

True but his numbers have declined bar last season.
And can you honestly say he’s a better player than 3 years ago? Has his overall play improved? Moura’s stats were very good in 2018/19, scored 15 goals but people still say he’s crap and offers nothing. I don’t disagree that he needs to create more.

True but his numbers have declined bar last season.
And can you honestly say he’s a better player than 3 years ago? Has his overall play improved? Moura’s stats were very good in 2018/19, scored 15 goals but people still say he’s crap and offers nothing. I don’t disagree that he needs to create more.

I was just pointing out that he didn’t decline after the 16/17 season.

My own opinion is all over this thread. I think he’s fine off Kane and suffered without him and (proper) Eriksen last season. And 18/19 I think he was injured and used in a deeper role.

True
But everything gets referenced to his youth and his peers (Lampard, scholes etc...)
At 24 they were pulling up real trees so that’s the level he has to aim for

Those 2 guys (as you mentioned them) played with top players throughout and were never played out of their preferred position as far as I know.

Oh, and I can look it up, but I think Dele blew those guys away on numbers before the last 2 seasons.

Not debating that he cant step up - I just think there’s reasons for what we’ve seen.

17/18 is now a burden. Like Dele has to live up to the expectation from 17/18, anything else is a let down. In truth he's not as stellar as say Kane or Bale. He can't consistently play at that elite level. Maybe if he recognises his current level and works hard to improve, he can move forward again.

Poch has a knack of getting special things out of certain players. Getting them to perform really above their level. Remember Lalana or Rickie Lambert? Average players Poch made good. Alli is not average, he is a very good player. But the expectation around him is too high. Alli needs to build from a hungry place, develop his skills and prove himself again.

I was just pointing out that he didn’t decline after the 16/17 season.

My own opinion is all over this thread. I think he’s fine off Kane and suffered without him and (proper) Eriksen last season. And 18/19 I think he was injured and used in a deeper role.

Well his goal tally did drop after his first two seasons, I don’t think that’s debatable really, just look at the stats. I also don’t think he’s versatile enough. He can’t play on the wing as he has no pace, can’t play deeper etc. Look I think it’s a mistake to actively sell him but I do also believe he needs a kick up the arse. He’s not a shoe in for England either, he got dropped by Southgate well before Jose was our manager so it’s not even a case of one manager making an example of him.

But we wouldn’t have beaten city without Son, scored 3 of our 4 goals in 2 legs. Son had been more consistent over the season despite Alli’s assist against Ajax.

Yep. Hence I didn’t mention the City game (which was quite a few weeks ahead of the final).

Merely stated he’d drifted out of form when the final came round. And I’m his biggest fan.

FWIW I would have picked the same team Poch did. Nothing against Moura but it’s a CL final and you don’t leave out your X factor players.

Those 2 guys (as you mentioned them) played with top players throughout and were never played out of their preferred position as far as I know.

Oh, and I can look it up, but I think Dele blew those guys away on numbers before the last 2 seasons.

Not debating that he cant step up - I just think there’s reasons for what we’ve seen.
Yeah he would have better numbers but scholes was part of a 4-4-2 and he played CM, lampard did too and was at West Ham I think until he was 22/23

Dele could step up
He hasn’t yet, but he has the talent
I’m not sure where he fits in the site up so he would have to adapt there
And he needs to work on his game with his long passing and using his left foot for more than standing on

Back