• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dejan Lovren

I think we would all prefer loyal players if all other things are equal.

I don't think one instance like this at a club in a bit of a upheaval (imo at least) is enough to feel sure about how a player will act in the future.

Edit: And I really think the situational factors should be looked at instead of jumping to conclusions about personal factors.

Lovren spent 3.5 years at Lyon having left Croatia for a fairly hefty €8m transfer fee. He left Lyon with a year left of his 4.5 year contract I think.

Him wanting out at Southampton now is not really like Eriksen wanting out at Spurs right now. If we sign a player this summer, then half way through the season Levy leaves after months of public conflicts with Lewis who has made it clear to everyone that he wants to sell the club as soon as possible. Then Poch leaves to a bigger club after having done a good job and we sell 3 good first choice players before the transfer market has barely gotten started with no assurances that this money will be reinvested in the squad and that player then wants to leave it will be comparable.

No two situations are ever exactly the same, but Eriksen would have just as legitimate reasons as Lovren to force a move away. The manager who signed him left after 3 months of the season, the club then employed a guy with no managerial experience to take his place. The squad was lacking spirit, the team crumbled when facing decent opposition, we finished the season in a worse position and points total than the last. So much for any signs of progress hey. No CL football, something Eriksen wasnt used to at Ajax. Yes we now have a new manager and we haven't sold our 3 best players yet, but who knows what will happen with Loris, Verts and Sandro. We still haven't strengthened significantly like some of our rivals are, so next season might be harder to improve our position.

OK Lovren was loyal at Lyon, but that doesn't give him the right to now be disloyal to Southampton. If Southampton really don't want to sell him then he should just get his head down and play the season ahead with the agreement to review his situation next summer if he feels things are no better and then he can be granted a move.

Southampton have already sold 3 players, if Lovren goes then what's to to stop Schneiderlin, Clyne, Ward Prowse wanting out too. I mean where does it end.

No two situations are ever exactly the same, but Eriksen would have just as legitimate reasons as Lovren to force a move away. The manager who signed him left after 3 months of the season, the club then employed a guy with no managerial experience to take his place. The squad was lacking spirit, the team crumbled when facing decent opposition, we finished the season in a worse position and points total than the last. So much for any signs of progress hey. No CL football, something Eriksen wasnt used to at Ajax. Yes we now have a new manager and we haven't sold our 3 best players yet, but who knows what will happen with Loris, Verts and Sandro. We still haven't strengthened significantly like some of our rivals are, so next season might be harder to improve our position.

OK Lovren was loyal at Lyon, but that doesn't give him the right to now be disloyal to Southampton. If Southampton really don't want to sell him then he should just get his head down and play the season ahead with the agreement to review his situation next summer if he feels things are no better and then he can be granted a move.

Southampton have already sold 3 players, if Lovren goes then what's to to stop Schneiderlin, Clyne, Ward Prowse wanting out too. I mean where does it end.

Nowhere near as legitimate to me. Seriously the chairman/executive director something or other quitting after an open conflict with the owner that has made it publicly clear that she wants to sell the club doesn't make it any more legitimate for Lovren to want out? You don't think if Levy quit in those circumstances Eriksen wanting out would seem more legitimate than what it would if he wanted out now?

And we could possibly potentially sell 3 of our best players, but Southampton already have! If those 3 players were sold without any assurances of that money being reinvested wouldn't that add legitimacy to someone like Eriksen wanting out?

Your last point just adds to it for Lovren imo. They have already sold 3 players, why should he at this point be expected to be the boy with his finger in the dyke?

Nowhere near as legitimate to me. Seriously the chairman/executive director something or other quitting after an open conflict with the owner that has made it publicly clear that she wants to sell the club doesn't make it any more legitimate for Lovren to want out? You don't think if Levy quit in those circumstances Eriksen wanting out would seem more legitimate than what it would if he wanted out now?

And we could possibly potentially sell 3 of our best players, but Southampton already have! If those 3 players were sold without any assurances of that money being reinvested wouldn't that add legitimacy to someone like Eriksen wanting out?

Your last point just adds to it for Lovren imo. They have already sold 3 players, why should he at this point be expected to be the boy with his finger in the dyke?

I think we have to agree to disagree :)

Yup, I dont see why people get their knickers in a twist over these sort of things. Anyone on this board looks after no1 when it comes to their career, why should football players be any different?

The same people who are demanding loyalty from players, same people who think we should dump Dawson/Lennon ... funny how they don't see the connection.

I've worked for the same company for a decade, all in all, been treated well, but I always evaluate my situation each year, because if I fail to perform, their is no "loyalty", everyone needs to put themselves first.

Sky sources understand Southampton have rejected an £18million offer from Liverpool for Dejan Lovren

For argument sake say we were willing to splash 15-20 mil on a CB, who could we get that would be better than Lovern?
(genuine question - not rhetorical)

We are looking to sign someone who'll be our best CB and first choice (IMO). We will be paying at least 12-15m whoever it is.

We are looking to sign someone who'll be our best CB and first choice (IMO). We will be paying at least 12-15m whoever it is.

Definitely, we spent around that mark on a GK with the idea of him being our mainstay for a good few years - If we found someone of the right age and quality could easily see us investing £15m+....

Lovren tells Croatian media " my head is already at Liverpool"......

he wants out, is dismayed not being told about Liverpool's bids, doesn't want to stay at Southampton because they are selling all their best players and showing no ambition

They can have him. Good on Liverplol. Finally back in the Champs League and strengthen by buying half the team that finished 9th.

They can have him. Good on Liverplol. Finally back in the Champs League and strengthen by buying half the team that finished 9th.

At least they are trying. The season we qualified for the CL we bought no one until deadline day. As usual

They should have at least aimed a bit higher and bought a proven top La liga forward, a brazilian national team midfield general or maybe the next Argentinian wonder kid.

I think the manager is ultimately the most important ingredient in the mix......oh wait where have we got our new gaffer from, not the f*cking team that finished 9th last season:)

At least they are trying. The season we qualified for the CL we bought no one until deadline day. As usual

Last season we sold someone for a ridiculous amount and bought loads of players, which is more likely what they're doing now, and that didn't work out all that great. You have to earn that CL money first.

It's not hard to get deals done early. You either pay way too much or settle for lesser players.

Last season we sold someone for a ridiculous amount and bought loads of players, which is more likely what they're doing now, and that didn't work out all that great. You have to earn that CL money first.

It's not hard to get deals done early. You either pay way too much or settle for lesser players.
Well Levy likes to do deals late for lesser players and not pay too much, so we are in good hands :)

Back