• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dejan Lovren

[tweet]484865679628062722[/tweet]

Yep, all down to him wanting a move and in no way connected to him being at the WC.

Not a good attitude then......he has only been there one year and goes on strike so easily to force a move

Not a good attitude then......he has only been there one year and goes on strike so easily to force a move

Exactly.

I don't want us to sign a player who behaves in such a disrespectful manner towards his club. Not to mention that it will clearly take more than £20 million to nab him. Maybe £25m. Horribly overpriced and there is better value elsewhere. He's not that good.

Moreno could have been an option before his injury and might still be - though possibly not this window. Pochettino knows and rates him from his time at Espanyol. But he's not the strongest aerially. That would be a concern.

Exactly.

I don't want us to sign a player who behaves in such a disrespectful manner towards his club. Not to mention that it will clearly take more than £20 million to nab him. Maybe £25m. Horribly overpriced and there is better value elsewhere. He's not that good.

Moreno could have been an option before his injury and might still be - though possibly not this window. Pochettino knows and rates him from his time at Espanyol. But he's not the strongest aerially. That would be a concern.

Cant see that it would take £20m to get him, £15m tops. That might seem a lot however if you have a club who dont want to sell then prices will always be high

Has he done anything that's worse or as bad as what Dempsey did to force his move from Fulham?

This is life in football, right now we're the bigger fish. Modric and Bale didn't have to force their moves to us from what I remember, both deals were done quite amicably. Yet when Real (and Chelsea) came knocking they still acted up.

He has personal ambitions, good. He wants to sign for us? Good if so. If we can't match his personal ambitions 2-3 years from now that's a problem for then, but I would rather have players with high personal ambitions than without.

I wouldn't give too much credence to the Wail article - given that he only finished at the World Cup a week or so back, so wouldn't be expected back at training for another couple of weeks.

Also, and I have written this in another thread too.

It's been speculated (ITK or journalists) that Lovren was sold on the Southampton plan by Cortese and Pochettino. I think we've also read reports that Pochettino can be very persuasive in getting new signings to the club. Now Cortese is gone and Pochettino is gone, the Southampton owner wants out and the future both short term for next season and longer term is uncertain for the club. So now he wants out, feeling that what he signed up for when he agreed to join them is no longer there.

Not a big whoop for me...

It's been speculated (ITK or journalists) that Lovren was sold on the Southampton plan by Cortese and Pochettino. I think we've also read reports that Pochettino can be very persuasive in getting new signings to the club. Now Cortese is gone and Pochettino is gone, the Southampton owner wants out and the future both short term for next season and longer term is uncertain for the club. So now he wants out, feeling that what he signed up for when he agreed to join them is no longer there.

How would you feel if Eriksen refused to join up for pre season training because he wanted a move away due to the failure of the vision sold to him by Baldini and the departed AVB

Yup, I dont see why people get their knickers in a twist over these sort of things. Anyone on this board looks after no1 when it comes to their career, why should football players be any different?

Has he done anything that's worse or as bad as what Dempsey did to force his move from Fulham?

This is life in football, right now we're the bigger fish. Modric and Bale didn't have to force their moves to us from what I remember, both deals were done quite amicably. Yet when Real (and Chelsea) came knocking they still acted up.

He has personal ambitions, good. He wants to sign for us? Good if so. If we can't match his personal ambitions 2-3 years from now that's a problem for then, but I would rather have players with high personal ambitions than without.

Dempsey had been at Fulham for longer than a year.

I think its only fair a player stays at a club for at least 2 years before demanding a move away.

Anyway, Liverpool have had a 20 mill offer rejected. The price has reached a ridiculous level. I hope Baldini has other names on his list

How would you feel if Eriksen refused to join up for pre season training because he wanted a move away due to the failure of the vision sold to him by Baldini and the departed AVB

I would completely understand any of our signings from last season wanting to leave. They were all sold a dummy.

Yup, I dont see why people get their knickers in a twist over these sort of things. Anyone on this board looks after no1 when it comes to their career, why should football players be any different?

Then why the need for long contracts. Maybe players should be on one year deals and both sides can review them at the end of the year. This would get rid of stupid transfer fees too.

I would feel disappointed, sad, probably a bit angry, upset with Baldini and Poch for not being able to sell him on the new vision of the club.

Are you saying we shouldn't sign Lovren because Southampton fans will be disappointed and sad?

Like I said, in this situation we're the big fish. Are we really in a position where we can give up on a player we don't want and potentially let him sign for one of our rivals instead over this?

Dempsey had been at Fulham for longer than a year.

I think its only fair a player stays at a club for at least 2 years before demanding a move away.

So after one year is no good, after two years is fine? I think you have to admit that this is a somewhat arbitrary line in the sand and that the difference between the two is somewhat small, no?

Then why the need for long contracts. Maybe players should be on one year deals and both sides can review them at the end of the year. This would get rid of stupid transfer fees too.

I'm sure some players (and their agents) would love that, but clubs are also looking out for themselves and wouldn't want that. As I'm sure you're well aware...

I would feel disappointed, sad, probably a bit angry, upset with Baldini and Poch for not being able to sell him on the new vision of the club.

Are you saying we shouldn't sign Lovren because Southampton fans will be disappointed and sad?

Like I said, in this situation we're the big fish. Are we really in a position where we can give up on a player we don't want and potentially let him sign for one of our rivals instead over this?

So after one year is no good, after two years is fine? I think you have to admit that this is a somewhat arbitrary line in the sand and that the difference between the two is somewhat small, no?

I'm sure some players (and their agents) would love that, but clubs are also looking out for themselves and wouldn't want that. As I'm sure you're well aware...

I think 2 years of service and wanting to leave is far more acceptable than if the player is agitating to leave after a year, yes. That applies to our own players or any player we wish to sign. If Lloris or Vertonghen want to leave this summer to join clubs in the CL and earn more money then I wouldn't mind. If Eriksen wanted to leave this summer then I'd be upset. Players are all sold a vision. If that vision doesnt become reality after a year it can be unfortunate. If there is no progress after two years then the player has a right to explore other options imo. It works the other way too. Sold ado, Lamela, Chadli, Paulinho and Chiriches didn't have good first seasons, but I'd be happy if Spurs stuck by them for a 2nd season to see if they can show how good they really are. If nothing changes then Spurs can look to sell them after the second season.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Lovren because the saints fans would be disappointed and sad. Yes we are the bigger fish, but there are bigger fish than us too. I'm just saying that I don't want us to sign a player that could do the same to us after a year too. If we fail to qualify for the CL then he may simply kick up a fuss and want to go somewhere else offering CL and more money.

Ideally, I don't want any player who gives up on his club so easily

I think 2 years of service and wanting to leave is far more acceptable than if the player is agitating to leave after a year, yes. That applies to our own players or any player we wish to sign. If Lloris or Vertonghen want to leave this summer to join clubs in the CL and earn more money then I wouldn't mind. If Eriksen wanted to leave this summer then I'd be upset. Players are all sold a vision. If that vision doesnt become reality after a year it can be unfortunate. If there is no progress after two years then the player has a right to explore other options imo. It works the other way too. Sold ado, Lamela, Chadli, Paulinho and Chiriches didn't have good first seasons, but I'd be happy if Spurs stuck by them for a 2nd season to see if they can show how good they really are. If nothing changes then Spurs can look to sell them after the second season.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Lovren because the saints fans would be disappointed and sad. Yes we are the bigger fish, but there are bigger fish than us too. I'm just saying that I don't want us to sign a player that could do the same to us after a year too. If we fail to qualify for the CL then he may simply kick up a fuss and want to go somewhere else offering CL and more money.

Ideally, I don't want any player who gives up on his club so easily

I think we would all prefer loyal players if all other things are equal.

I don't think one instance like this at a club in a bit of a upheaval (imo at least) is enough to feel sure about how a player will act in the future.

Edit: And I really think the situational factors should be looked at instead of jumping to conclusions about personal factors.

Lovren spent 3.5 years at Lyon having left Croatia for a fairly hefty €8m transfer fee. He left Lyon with a year left of his 4.5 year contract I think.

Him wanting out at Southampton now is not really like Eriksen wanting out at Spurs right now. If we sign a player this summer, then half way through the season Levy leaves after months of public conflicts with Lewis who has made it clear to everyone that he wants to sell the club as soon as possible. Then Poch leaves to a bigger club after having done a good job and we sell 3 good first choice players before the transfer market has barely gotten started with no assurances that this money will be reinvested in the squad and that player then wants to leave it will be comparable.

Last edited:
Back