• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

DeAndre Yedlin

Cool, thanks again. :) Sounds very promising.

I have no issues with young players sometimes making mistakes because they're being too ambitious on the ball. Much prefer that to a shortage of actual ability.

Him being a bit versatile and also a winger option won't hurt.

I'm guessing since we're bringing him in "early" it's not to send him out on loan, could be that a PL loan is better for him at this point than MLS football though. Who knows...

No problem, personally for me this was one of the most exciting transfers we've ever had because I watched him play right down the road several times when he was at the University of Akron so to think he can play for my beloved club really is a surreal cool feeling. I will be over next fall for a few matches and I am crossing my fingers he is in the side when I am there.

No problem, personally for me this was one of the most exciting transfers we've ever had because I watched him play right down the road several times when he was at the University of Akron so to think he can play for my beloved club really is a surreal cool feeling. I will be over next fall for a few matches and I am crossing my fingers he is in the side when I am there.

What's "fall"?

;)

I have seen a fair bit of Yedlin he is a really exciting prospect. Honestly, reminds me a lot of Walker when he first got in the team. He has blistering pace and good crossing ability but still learning his positioning. His pace bails him out a lot in that respect but he needs to improve. That being said in the last year I think he has made great strides in reading the game which is a good sign. With Walker and Naughton as well as Vlad and Dier who can cover at RB I think a loan move may be the best route for him for the second half of this season.

The other option which is a good possibility is he might end up being a like for like replacement for Lennon as a RM. He is very good going forward and beating his man since that is a spot we need some cover in we may decide to hang on to him rather than loan and see if he can break into the side.

Has real pace, plays in one of the 2 or 3 actually decent MLS teams, hos crossing that I have seen isn't bad.

In Tottenham terms, September - November when the pre-season promise and early results suddenly cease and we tumble down the table. Often a manager gets sacked along the way.

:ross: Serious question if you call your backyard " back garden" what do you actually call what we call gardens (soil with planted flowers and vegetables)?

From reading various accounts online after a couple of his more recent international games, it seems that his passing is an area of concern. Any regular MLS watchers able to confirm? (I read one of those twitter posts where people were USA fans were saying his passing wasn't good enough for the EPL).

Yes, his passing will need to improve. Can make mental errors. Doesn't often come up against someone of his pace, but when he does he can be exposed. Has relied a lot on his pace rather than technique when defending one on one. Has gained quite a bit of muscle in the last year or so but I don't think it has affected his speed. Sometimes loses his man when tracking back and doesn't go with them. Needs work on final ball and decision making. Plays with confidence. Raw and green for the PL yet, and not sure that FB will even be his position. Showed quite a few moves when playing further forward in WC.

:ross: Serious question if you call your backyard " back garden" what do you actually call what we call gardens (soil with planted flowers and vegetables)?

Maybe just "garden" referring to the rear of the house and "front garden" or "drive" referring to land at the front? It's normally not used much, I mean there is no culture in the uk of people sitting on the porch.

Do you have allotments by the way?

I think this is going to end in tears to be honest. I think Yedlin is an athlete first - footballer second and nowhere near ready for EPL football. There is already WAY to much pressure and hype on this kid because of a couple of World Cup performances.

I hope I'm wrong though - I'll gladly admit it.

I think this is going to end in tears to be honest. I think Yedlin is an athlete first - footballer second and nowhere near ready for EPL football. There is already WAY to much pressure and hype on this kid because of a couple of World Cup performances.

How much have you seen him play?

I know what you mean, I think he'll be a real athlete, but the step up to Premier League is a big one. He'll be brilliant for 89 minutes and then Kevin Nolan will nutmeg him and score and Yedlin will be pilloried.

Live? 4 times - each with the Sounders. On TV - often as I watch the MLS because of the Sounders and Whitecaps. I hope he makes the transition - I'm not hating on the kid - I just don't want people thinking he's going to step in and replace Walker.

Live? 4 times - each with the Sounders. On TV - often as I watch the MLS because of the Sounders and Whitecaps. I hope he makes the transition - I'm not hating on the kid - I just don't want people thinking he's going to step in and replace Walker.

Cheers. Always good to get different perspectives. Was just wondering what you were basing yours on :)

Cheers. Always good to get different perspectives. Was just wondering what you were basing yours on :)

No problem - I don't claim to be an expert on the game but I find the MLS is slower, much slower and the ball control/first touch is substantially worse than the EPL. I think that alone really favours defenders with pace in the MLS - that heavy first touch allows play to be broken up much quicker by guys like Yedlin. He has good delivery though - and who knows, maybe that pace will be enough to bail himself out of trouble.

No problem - I don't claim to be an expert on the game but I find the MLS is slower, much slower and the ball control/first touch is substantially worse than the EPL. I think that alone really favours defenders with pace in the MLS - that heavy first touch allows play to be broken up much quicker by guys like Yedlin. He has good delivery though - and who knows, maybe that pace will be enough to bail himself out of trouble.

Thanks again, and just to be clear I didn't get the impression that you were hating on the kid!

If you don't mind, how do you think he is on the ball? Passing, first touch, dribbling etc...

Sky Sports understands the player has been granted a Governing Body Endorsement and will not need the Latvian passport.

Back