• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

Well, that's on you, not Sanchez!
It's really not.

He's been much improved in the last month or so, that's great to see and he deserves a lot of credit for that. He's becoming part of the solution, for now at least.

On the ball though. If it's clearances, passing, close control or even headers...

The benefits of having centre backs that are comfortable with the ball in a variety of situations are to me obvious. It's rather rare to see players developing that when they get past their early twenties. But hey, we can hope. If he doesn't develop that he won't ever be top class for me.

Though playing under Mourinho is probably a good thing as I think he puts less value on that than some of the other managers at or near the top. Here, under Mourinho, that can work. If we get in a new manager that puts a higher value on quality on the ball than Mourinho does I think that lessens the chances of Sanchez succeeding here.

I think I was probably the first one on here to call Sanchez (lack of) ability on the ball. I think he looks to have improved somewhat in that aspect these past few games. His passes have been quite nicely hit to his intended recipient and he has kept it simple and gone long if being pressed and not having a decent, safe option on.

As i have said before he is 24 and that is still young for a established CB. IF he keeps improving ( like he has over the last few games) then he will get a few haters off his back. I believe we should keep him for now.

I think Sanchez gets one more year (and/or based on input of next manager)

Likely we go for a top level CB this summer with two out of Toby/Dier/Sanchez heading out. Depending on how he responds, he can always be replaced the following summer where prices may be back up.

As i have said before he is 24 and that is still young for a established CB. IF he keeps improving ( like he has over the last few games) then he will get a few haters off his back. I believe we should keep him for now.
Yes. You've been saying it for 3 seasons. :D

He's got a few (listed above by another poster) deficiencies that can be worked on and sadly, a few that can't.

For the price we paid (not his fault) I assume he was a hot property, up and coming CH. I don't think he's shown anything to justify the fee. He's in his fourth season so no-one is writing him off too quickly here. Plus he's being coached daily by one of the legendary defensive coaches.

He's still worth something though, so if we can line something up, as a replacement, I reckon we'd get takers for him.

Yes. You've been saying it for 3 seasons. :D

He's got a few (listed above by another poster) deficiencies that can be worked on and sadly, a few that can't.

For the price we paid (not his fault) I assume he was a hot property, up and coming CH. I don't think he's shown anything to justify the fee. He's in his fourth season so no-one is writing him off too quickly here. Plus he's being coached daily by one of the legendary defensive coaches.

He's still worth something though, so if we can line something up, as a replacement, I reckon we'd get takers for him.

No i was saying he was 21 three seasons ago. :p

Now your being silly. :p
It’s one thing to back a player to come good, or have more patience than others but I’m interested in how highly you rate him:

Serious questions and I do respect your view given your experience and consistency on the matter:

Could you see any of our rival teams (teams with ambitions of CL qualification and beyond) bidding for him?
What would the fee you’d expect us to receive for him if so?
Do you think we would regret selling him?

I think I was probably the first one on here to call Sanchez (lack of) ability on the ball. I think he looks to have improved somewhat in that aspect these past few games. His passes have been quite nicely hit to his intended recipient and he has kept it simple and gone long if being pressed and not having a decent, safe option on.
He has improved, but still a long way from him to a quality ball playing centre back. I don't think he'll get there, but would love to be wrong about that.

He doesn't have to become a quality ball playing centre back to become a very good and useful player for us. But there's a reason why so many big teams put a lot of value into having that type of centre back in their teams, and usually they want all of their centre backs to fit that mould.

It’s one thing to back a player to come good, or have more patience than others but I’m interested in how highly you rate him:

Serious questions and I do respect your view given your experience and consistency on the matter:

Could you see any of our rival teams (teams with ambitions of CL qualification and beyond) bidding for him?

Not directed at me, but here's my punt

Our rival teams for CL have all paid 2X the price for a CB, Maguire, VVD, Dias are all £80M+ (add on/agent fees), so not quite a like for like comparison

No idea what fee Sanchez would fetch because of the market, but he's a 24 year old international CB with a ton of PL & CL experience, that typically isn't cheap.

Would we miss him? = I don't think so, the issue is we need to replace one CB not counting him, so can we replace two in one window?

Not directed at me, but here's my punt

Our rival teams for CL have all paid 2X the price for a CB, Maguire, VVD, Dias are all £80M+ (add on/agent fees), so not quite a like for like comparison

No idea what fee Sanchez would fetch because of the market, but he's a 24 year old international CB with a ton of PL & CL experience, that typically isn't cheap.

Would we miss him? = I don't think so, the issue is we need to replace one CB not counting him, so can we replace two in one window?
Thanks.

I meant the comparison to be in terms of would a similar sized or bigger club recognise the potential that has been used as a reason to persevere with him.

I guess there’s a case for moving on any 2 from 3 of Dier, Sanchez and Toby and there’d be a few varying rankings of priority on here.

I genuinely wondered if the support is due to the fact we own him, rather than what an independent view would be on his potential. We saw what happened with Wimmer, so it is often he case that players get signed off the back of who they played for but I just feel that anyone who scouted him would share the reservations about the weaknesses he has demonstrated rather than the strengths.

As Mourinho must have approved the extensions for Toby and Dier I wonder if that has any bearing on their future or if it was encouraged by Levy to protect their value?

Thanks.

I meant the comparison to be in terms of would a similar sized or bigger club recognise the potential that has been used as a reason to persevere with him.

I guess there’s a case for moving on any 2 from 3 of Dier, Sanchez and Toby and there’d be a few varying rankings of priority on here.

I genuinely wondered if the support is due to the fact we own him, rather than what an independent view would be on his potential. We saw what happened with Wimmer, so it is often he case that players get signed off the back of who they played for but I just feel that anyone who scouted him would share the reservations about the weaknesses he has demonstrated rather than the strengths.

As Mourinho must have approved the extensions for Toby and Dier I wonder if that has any bearing on their future or if it was encouraged by Levy to protect their value?

His age would have been a big part of the reason we stuck it out, he's only slightly older than Rodon and about 3 years more than Tanganga for reference. If Tanganga has as much top level experience as Sanchez in 3 years, he would have done very well.

Honest appraisal, he had the promise but it hasn't materialized, specifically in two areas (concentration and physical strength), the first should have come with the experience he already has, the second with being slightly older and working on it (still gets bullied too easily or resorts to pushing)

Dier and Toby at the beginning of this year were a different proposal than now, Dier is now 27 and simply not improving, Toby seems unable to play multiple games on the bounce.

For me, yes it's two out of three, I would sell Dier and Sanchez (most incoming money), buy a top level CB and keep Toby another year expecting him to rotate and help with Rodon and Tanganga's development.

To be honest mate i just look at him and think there is a player in there, as for other top teams going for him i do have doubts about that happening at the moment. Fees i stay away from not because i am trying to avoid the question but fees are crazy for some and at this present time who knows what we have to spend and others the same. Clubs who do not have money problems City, Utd and the likes will be looking at higher rated players then Sanchez i have no doubt.

The truth is he has not really shown much over the last few seasons i agree but as i keep saying he is still young for a CB and there is not doubt ( imo ) that he is showing signs of becoming more steady in his game. He has cut out a lot of his diving into tackles ( said it before that players who go to ground all the time are not really that good at what they do) and he is doing more covering and seems to relize he does not have to get so close to defenders who then can turn him round..

Of course i could be wrong and he will fail to push on but if we are to let 2 of our 3 main CBs got it would be Dier and Toby for me.

Back