• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bentekes work rate is overrated. I think Defoe has better work rate if I am honest with you. He does have great movement though, something our forwards do lack, but that isn't worth £25m.

Benteke will frustrate a lot of Spurs fans, in fact give it a few months and he won't have quite the holy crowd behind him. He'll miss sitters, he'll shoot from distance when other options are open etc. Knowing the Spurs crowd (especially after Dempseys start last season) they'd boo him because he's a fudging Arsenal fan.

Defoe has better work rate than Benteke? In what world.

Benteke has 15 in 18 in 2013. To miss a load of sitters, Aston Villa must create a hell of a lot of chances ...

Is there another striker in the league that possesses the same levels of utter brick movement Defoe does? the guy rarely bothers to even try and get any rebounds that might occur and his inability to move into dangerous positions is disgraceful. When was the last time this guy got into any meaningful one on one opportunities or scored a sitter? it rarely happens because he simply can't/won't move around.

thats exactly the player Dzeko was at Wolfsburg......dont be fooled by what you have seen at City. The move to City has fcuked him up. Price tag, pressure, not being first choice. It just hasnt worked out

At Wolfsburg he was signed by Felix Magath and anyone who knows Magath knows that he cannot stand slackers, he is one of the most demanding managers ever. Dzeko and Grafite were a phenomenal partnership and Wolfsburg won the title. His movement, goals, every type of goal, the work rate for the team was brilliant. I guess Dzeko was what Lewandowski is right now. Its such a shame to see whats become of him

Benteke himself will have a huge task in living up to the 25 mill price tag, plus playing for a bigger club. Dont discount such influences

Fair enough, I did not pay close attention to him there, and when I did see him he looked much more the 'orthodox' CF than that which you have described, so fair play if what you say is the case and I will consider myself educated more about the player Dzeko could be.

thats exactly the player Dzeko was at Wolfsburg......dont be fooled by what you have seen at City. The move to City has fcuked him up. Price tag, pressure, not being first choice. It just hasnt worked out

At Wolfsburg he was signed by Felix Magath and anyone who knows Magath knows that he cannot stand slackers, he is one of the most demanding managers ever. Dzeko and Grafite were a phenomenal partnership and Wolfsburg won the title. His movement, goals, every type of goal, the work rate for the team was brilliant. I guess Dzeko was what Lewandowski is right now. Its such a shame to see whats become of him

Benteke himself will have a huge task in living up to the 25 mill price tag, plus playing for a bigger club. Dont discount such influences

Totally agree - As I have said in other threads, I think Dzeko would be an absolute star for us. He knows where the goal is and the 4 goals he scored against us 2 seasons ago was the best performance I have ever seen from an away striker at WHL.

Totally agree - As I have said in other threads, I think Dzeko would be an absolute star for us. He knows where the goal is and the 4 goals he scored against us 2 seasons ago was the best performance I have ever seen from an away striker at WHL.

He's never done it again since. Or came close to that performance ever.

Is there another striker in the league that possesses the same levels of utter brick movement Defoe does? the guy rarely bothers to even try and get any rebounds that might occur and his inability to move into dangerous positions is disgraceful. When was the last time this guy got into any meaningful one on one opportunities or scored a sitter? it rarely happens because he simply can't/won't move around.

He has never had that much intelligence, he never runs the channels and never runs laterally, too late now, he never gets in the fecking six yard box either, shame.

Why are we discussing Defoe/ Benteke in the David Villa thread?

A thread that is now defunct............

Last year Jermain Defoe scored 15 goals, including the winner against City at White Hart Lane.

You see this is the think, right, we want a forward that is BETTER than what we have and despite what some say, Adebayor and Defoe are two very good strikers. There's a difference between strikers being not good enough for the Premiership to not being good enough for top 4 challengers, to not being good enough for almost certain top 4 qualifiers/title challengers.

Our strikers are good enough clearly to allow us to maintain a consistent challenge to the top 4. Unfortunately, its clear that to move up into the bracket where we are seen as shoe-ins for a top 4 position and maybe a sneaky tilt at the title, then Defoe & Ade aren't really cutting it.

But when people suggest alternatives that aren't achieving anything more than Defoe/Ade in a better, more creative side, you do have to wonder. Dzeko for me is a targetman, he has some definate weaknesses for me though in that he isn't pacey, but doesn't quite have the OUTSTANDING level of intelligence and creativity you need in a striker to make up for that lack of pace (think Berbatov or Sheringham). While he's big, also, he isn't an out and out battering ram that someone like Andy Carroll is. I'd actually take Carroll over Dzeko 2bh, because if you're going to go for a targetman that isn't quick and is basically there just to get on the end of stuff and put himself about, you might as well go for an out-and-out tank like Carroll who isn't afraid of caving the side of defender's heads in with his elbows.

Benteke is basically Dzeko but quicker and more aggressive.

Di Marzio reports:

“David Villa has already reached an agreement with New York City and will sign a three-year contract.

“Spain’s top scorer will play in the team created by Emirates Marketing Project and the New York Yankees. After two Spanish titles in a row, Villa leaves Europe for a new adventure in the United States.”

Not too disappointed he never came. Has hit the winding down part of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back