• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

I think you're making a lot of assumptions based on not a lot except him not expressing his undying love for Spurs during him talking about his depression....

I was quite clear about saying that in one sense this is about something bigger than football rivalry, and that I am sympathetic towards anyone with depression. But I think the key quote is 'there were disagreements, I can't say anything more or I'll get fined again'. As if that has any need to be said. Danny seems to like to cultivate this image as a 'straight shooter' and revels in it, but it has to be asked why he seems unable to see that the club did their best for him. I'm even sympathetic to the fact that perhaps he views being apart from his family as a trigger for depression, and the club is the reason for that and therefore he sees us negatively, but still, why does he not in the least bit seem thankful to the club for giving him the opportunity to become one of the best in the world. To allow him to continue his recovery with England, to welcome him back in after he did something so clearly very wrong with The Sun interview?

Everything he says has a tone of 'I was right to say what I said', 'the club might fine me again, which wouldn't be fair but there you go' and 'the club didn't do their best for me when I was injured'. It's just a little bizarre that he doesn't see it, but maybe that's what depression is. He just lacks perspective, and isn't emotionally mature. And it's fair to ask why Lamela, even further from home, even longer out injured, almost as much personal family trouble during that time, seems to be able to respect what the club did for him during that time where as Rose doesn't. If for no other reason than it shows to us fans who is really committed and who isn't. Rose created the headline saying 'I just had to get away from Spurs'. Why do we, as a club, need that? What impact does this have on potential future signings who want to know how we support our players? What about young prospects or players from abroad that may be concerned that we aren't a good home for them because of the headlines that we read? He can talk about his depression in a way that doesn't paint the club negatively considering what we've done for him, and I think that's what people are saying.

I was quite clear about saying that in one sense this is about something bigger than football rivalry, and that I am sympathetic towards anyone with depression. But I think the key quote is 'there were disagreements, I can't say anything more or I'll get fined again'. As if that has any need to be said. Danny seems to like to cultivate this image as a 'straight shooter' and revels in it, but it has to be asked why he seems unable to see that the club did their best for him. I'm even sympathetic to the fact that perhaps he views being apart from his family as a trigger for depression, and the club is the reason for that and therefore he sees us negatively, but still, why does he not in the least bit seem thankful to the club for giving him the opportunity to become one of the best in the world. To allow him to continue his recovery with England, to welcome him back in after he did something so clearly very wrong with The Sun interview?

Everything he says has a tone of 'I was right to say what I said', 'the club might fine me again, which wouldn't be fair but there you go' and 'the club didn't do their best for me when I was injured'. It's just a little bizarre that he doesn't see it, but maybe that's what depression is. He just lacks perspective, and isn't emotionally mature. And it's fair to ask why Lamela, even further from home, even longer out injured, almost as much personal family trouble during that time, seems to be able to respect what the club did for him during that time where as Rose doesn't. If for no other reason than it shows to us fans who is really committed and who isn't. Rose created the headline saying 'I just had to get away from Spurs'. Why do we, as a club, need that? What impact does this have on potential future signings who want to know how we support our players? What about young prospects or players from abroad that may be concerned that we aren't a good home for them because of the headlines that we read? He can talk about his depression in a way that doesn't paint the club negatively considering what we've done for him, and I think that's what people are saying.
Again that is your interpretation of his interview and that is fine but not one I’m getting on board with. You decide his interview has a ‘tone’ of this and that. The reality is he didn’t say anything really negative against Spurs, if he had the media would have jumped all over it and we would currently reading a fresh batch of speculation of where Rose is going next. He does give off the impression that he has a chip on his shoulder, not just off the pitch but on it aswell - after learning of his depression I’m being more forgiving of this vibe as I have fortunately never come close to experiencing this. What I do know is that everyone reacts differently to things, so I’m not going to sit here and state he should say this or that in an interview where he opens up about his depression - he wears his heart on his sleeve and as long as it’s not obviously derogatory towards Spurs I’m all for it. If he comes out with another Google episode then that is undefendable but as far as I’m concerned this is mountain out of molehill stuff in the scale of player misdemeanours....

Again that is your interpretation of his interview and that is fine but not one I’m getting on board with. You decide his interview has a ‘tone’ of this and that. The reality is he didn’t say anything really negative against Spurs, if he had the media would have jumped all over it and we would currently reading a fresh batch of speculation of where Rose is going next. He does give off the impression that he has a chip on his shoulder, not just off the pitch but on it aswell - after learning of his depression I’m being more forgiving of this vibe as I have fortunately never come close to experiencing this. What I do know is that everyone reacts differently to things, so I’m not going to sit here and state he should say this or that in an interview where he opens up about his depression - he wears his heart on his sleeve and as long as it’s not obviously derogatory towards Spurs I’m all for it. If he comes out with another Google episode then that is undefendable but as far as I’m concerned this is mountain out of molehill stuff in the scale of player misdemeanours....

We are lucky it isn’t another Google esque interview, but the strange thing for me remains ‘there were problems, I can’t tell you what as I’ll get fined again’ which alongside ‘I don’t regret what I said’ just makes it look like he doesn’t fully appreciate what the club does for him. And while in the grand scheme of things that is fine - there is no law against him loving us or otherwise - I think it’s fair that as fans of the club some of us would have our patience tried with it.

I think the issue is not ‘does Rose have the right as a human being to talk about his depression in any way he pleases’ which of course he does, but rather ‘does the club have a reason to be frustrated that we are having to deal with negative headlines despite doing everything we can to help him, and welcoming him back after a massive misstep last year. As I said, impact on new signings, impact on our reputation, frankly a bunch of people that cared about him being told that ‘there were issues’ just doesn’t look great. From the club’s perspective, why can he not learn to toe the line a bit? Why can he not appreciate what’s been done for him rather than viewing us through the negative lens which he clearly does. He may not be actively saying much, but his implications are pretty obvious.

We are lucky it isn’t another Google esque interview, but the strange thing for me remains ‘there were problems, I can’t tell you what as I’ll get fined again’ which alongside ‘I don’t regret what I said’ just makes it look like he doesn’t fully appreciate what the club does for him. And while in the grand scheme of things that is fine - there is no law against him loving us or otherwise - I think it’s fair that as fans of the club some of us would have our patience tried with it.

I think the issue is not ‘does Rose have the right as a human being to talk about his depression in any way he pleases’ which of course he does, but rather ‘does the club have a reason to be frustrated that we are having to deal with negative headlines despite doing everything we can to help him, and welcoming him back after a massive misstep last year. As I said, impact on new signings, impact on our reputation, frankly a bunch of people that cared about him being told that ‘there were issues’ just doesn’t look great. From the club’s perspective, why can he not learn to toe the line a bit? Why can he not appreciate what’s been done for him rather than viewing us through the negative lens which he clearly does. He may not be actively saying much, but his implications are pretty obvious.
His reasoning (that can obviously be unsound) may be that he considers the club 'responsible' for the length of time out via their (incorrect) injury management of him and by continuation that contributed to his depression (along with the other things he stated).

Of course, the club will think they did everything right, and probably did, yet Rose thinks otherwise, and it may be a leap for him to basically 'forgive' and get thru this episode with as much help that he needs. And it is help he needs, not to be shot at.

He looks happy when on the field playing football, whether England or us. Hopefully he stays as he won't find a better manager than Poch to help him navigate the next couple of seasons.

It is a funny old world where spending time in the goldfish bowl that is the England team is regarded as a relief but so be it. I can't say I regarded it as disloyal when Lamela preferred Roma to Tottenham during his injury spell and I feel the same about Broadway Danny.

Sent from my MotoG3 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

His reasoning (that can obviously be unsound) may be that he considers the club 'responsible' for the length of time out via their (incorrect) injury management of him and by continuation that contributed to his depression (along with the other things he stated).

Of course, the club will think they did everything right, and probably did, yet Rose thinks otherwise, and it may be a leap for him to basically 'forgive' and get thru this episode with as much help that he needs. And it is help he needs, not to be shot at.

He looks happy when on the field playing football, whether England or us. Hopefully he stays as he won't find a better manager than Poch to help him navigate the next couple of seasons.

I think that’s probably very likely what it is, and while I understand it, as a fan of Tottenham, it is frustrating.

From what I can understand about how Poch’s team handles injuries, they try as hard as they can to not require surgery so that players have the best chance of a consistent, long term future. Even if Rose disagreed, I’d like to think he could see the good in what the club was offering rather than subtly alluding to problems.

But I don’t really mind what he does either way. When his depression first came out a few pages back I very very sympathetic. But the realisation that someone like Lamela has acted much more respectfully despite having just as many hardships, makes me as a fan of Tottenham frustrated that Rose would view the club so negatively.

I think that’s probably very likely what it is, and while I understand it, as a fan of Tottenham, it is frustrating.

From what I can understand about how Poch’s team handles injuries, they try as hard as they can to not require surgery so that players have the best chance of a consistent, long term future. Even if Rose disagreed, I’d like to think he could see the good in what the club was offering rather than subtly alluding to problems.

But I don’t really mind what he does either way. When his depression first came out a few pages back I very very sympathetic. But the realisation that someone like Lamela has acted much more respectfully despite having just as many hardships, makes me as a fan of Tottenham frustrated that Rose would view the club so negatively.

But this is where his illness would be a reason mate. Depression and anxiety manifest themselves in “defensive” ways for some. He appears to be amidst dealing with weighty issues of self versus perception of blame, which is precisely why I believe he should be advised better and encouraged to continue working on matters behind the scenes...the big mistake can be when depressed people talk and suddenly everyone feels “the work is done”...in some cases, the work is only just beginning. That is my sense here. I wish the lad good luck.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

But this is where his illness would be a reason mate. Depression and anxiety manifest themselves in “defensive” ways for some. He appears to be amidst dealing with weighty issues of self versus perception of blame, which is precisely why I believe he should be advised better and encouraged to continue working on matters behind the scenes...the big mistake can be when depressed people talk and suddenly everyone feels “the work is done”...in some cases, the work is only just beginning. That is my sense here. I wish the lad good luck.

Totally get you, and agreed.

Come on.
WHO is looking after him?
I await the avalanche of "it's so great he's being honest" comments, but look beyond and we are seeing a man who is clearly grappling with a deeper-set series of issues which are coming to the fore real-time. I am pleased for him he is able to get them out there, but sad for him that "out there" appears to be through the ears and fingers of journalists. Someone needs to protect him!!!!

I think it is CLEAR he was well-protected with us, as these verbal meanderings and musings were cut out once the initial Sun-job had been laid out.

Come on.
WHO is looking after him?
I await the avalanche of "it's so great he's being honest" comments, but look beyond and we are seeing a man who is clearly grappling with a deeper-set series of issues which are coming to the fore real-time. I am pleased for him he is able to get them out there, but sad for him that "out there" appears to be through the ears and fingers of journalists. Someone needs to protect him!!!!

I think it is CLEAR he was well-protected with us, as these verbal meanderings and musings were cut out once the initial Sun-job had been laid out.

Completely Agree, really want to back him but its obvious he is struggling and needs protecting from himself. He is inviting criticism which then sends him into the same cycle.
Its obvious that this isn't part of a plan to get out of spurs, because i can hardly see Mourinho looking at his comments and thinking yup thats who i want to replace "mentally weak shaw"

Reminds me of some of the cricketers who had to stop touring, doesn't seem from the outside that it was a good idea to go to the world cup.

Completely Agree, really want to back him but its obvious he is struggling and needs protecting from himself. He is inviting criticism which then sends him into the same cycle.
Its obvious that this isn't part of a plan to get out of spurs, because i can hardly see Mourinho looking at his comments and thinking yup thats who i want to replace "mentally weak shaw"

Reminds me of some of the cricketers who had to stop touring, doesn't seem from the outside that it was a good idea to go to the world cup.

I would speculate that someone in his "entourage" thinks this is a good idea, a good way to get him out. I hope I am wrong. I am speculating - to be clear!
But if you replaced the name Rose with Gascoigne, there is a bit of a similarity in the jarring raw honesty and bouncing ball thoughts. Again, here's to me being wrong and over-sensitive to this sort of thing, but...

I would speculate that someone in his "entourage" thinks this is a good idea, a good way to get him out. I hope I am wrong. I am speculating - to be clear!
But if you replaced the name Rose with Gascoigne, there is a bit of a similarity in the jarring raw honesty and bouncing ball thoughts. Again, here's to me being wrong and over-sensitive to this sort of thing, but...

I think it speaks volumes that everyone seems to have backed away from a transfer, he is right in that football is brutal and im not sure managers want to pay £50 mil to take on a 28yr old who is getting over a injury record who is stating he is battling depression. If you want out he could have just gone back to the sun and did the same interview, far easier ways.

Understand the desire to be cynical but you listen to the audio interview and he doesnt sound right. As you said its the Sun interview that is clouding this issue, but that seems to have been him lashing out due to a lack of self awareness. Says in the interview himself, If Fabien Delph wasnt here i wouldnt have been able to cope with not playing.

I haven’t heard the audio mentioned above, have only read wha is in the Sky link posted - but has he really said anything that worrying? It doesn’t seem so on the face of it, but maybe there’s more that I haven’t seen?

"My agent told me when I was 15, 16, 'you can have all the ability in the world but if you're not mentally strong enough football will swallow you up'.

"For 10, 11 years, I didn't have a clue about what he was talking about. It wasn't until this past year where I've realised exactly what he's meant.

"He's 100 per cent right with what he told me all those years ago."

So this past year after coming out with that interview on the eve of the season he now feels hard done by. Maybe it will be best for everybody if Man Utd make a bid for him and he gets the move he craves, because he does not seem happy at Spurs anymore.

I love him as a player but although he has not said anything bad he kinda says things that make people wonder if there is some ulterior meaning to some of his words. Or maybe that is just me. Either way he just no longer seems happy at our club

I believe he is talking about his injury and dealing with it, but whatever he is talking about, by talking at all he puts himself in line for reactions and further pressure. Someone needs to stop him. I worry that he is edging towards a personal crisis.

Last edited:
Back