• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

I have to say Rose was a bit wild tonight. He had one good clearance to deny City a certain goal, but he was otherwise too careless in both his passing and his positioning/defending. I think Poch should rotate between Rose and Davies a bit more maybe to help keep Rose on his toes.

I’m sure the money raised from the testimonial will be useful for him when he retires. Could help him invest in a small pub in Leeds or a post office in Royston Veysey
Why would he need that? He could buy all of Leeds for a couple of month's wages.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/24/christian-eriksen-tottenham-danny-rose

Christian Eriksen’s loss would be costly for Tottenham, says Danny Rose

Danny Rose has called on the Tottenham hierarchy to ensure Christian Eriksen remains at the club next season and for many more thereafter, describing the midfielder as fundamental to how the team functions.

Eriksen is out of contract in June 2020 and there has been no suggestion he is close to agreeing fresh terms. Mauricio Pochettino said on Tuesday that there would be plenty of opportunity after the end of the season to discuss a new deal and that Eriksen’s situation is “special”. The manager said: “The timing for him or for the club to be agreeing something is maybe different to another player.”

But the reality is that the situation is fast approaching crunch time because, with stadium debts to repay, the club can ill afford to allow a player as gifted as Eriksen to leave as a free agent.

Daniel Levy, the chairman, has let it be known the 27-year-old Dane would cost £130m, which sounds fanciful but, then again, this is Levy and, moreover, it offers an indication of how the battle lines are being drawn. Real Madrid have been mentioned among Eriksen’s suitors.

Rose correctly highlighted the fact that no player had made more Spurs appearances under Pochettino than Eriksen and the left-back did not mince his words about the importance of his teammate. “It’s obviously vital [that Eriksen re-signs],” the full-back said. “If you look over the five years that the manager’s been here, Christian has played the most games and that says a lot. When Christian doesn’t play, there are questions that we don’t look the same. He links everything up for us. The lads in the changing room trust the people upstairs to hopefully get him to sign.”

Rose did not mention money but it is plain that the level of Spurs’s offer will be a deciding factor. Equally obvious is that Rose would like the club to make Eriksen an offer he cannot refuse, as they look to build on their recent on-field progress. Spurs sit third in the Premier League and are in the Champions League semi-finals, where they face Eriksen’s previous club, Ajax.

“We have every possible foundation at the club – the training ground, the stadium now, the fanbase, the players,” Rose said. “But it’s not just the foundations that attract players and make players want to stay. It’s out of the players’ control. We just have to trust that the people upstairs are going to do whatever they see fit to help us make that next step. We know that our manager is a winner. He demands the best from us and he wants to win something, as well. So while everybody is on the same page, we can just look forward to next season and see what it brings.”

Eriksen scored the only goal of the 1-0 home victory against Brighton on Tuesday in the 88th minute – his third late winner of the season, following those in the home fixtures against Internazionale in the Champions League and Burnley in the league. Spurs have won eight matches in total this season with goals in or after the 80th minute.

“Once upon a time it might have been surprising for Tottenham to keep fighting, keep going and never know when they are beaten, but I wasn’t surprised against Brighton,” Rose added. “We’ve done it quite a few times this season.”

Spurs will face a well-rested Ajax team in the home first leg next Tuesday, after the Dutch Football Association chose not only to postpone their game against De Graafschap on Sunday but also the entire Eredivisie weekend programme. Spurs entertain West Ham on Saturday lunchtime.

“I couldn’t believe it when I heard that’s what the Dutch were doing,” Rose said. “It would be nice if the people in England took a similar stance and helped us out because ultimately it’s not Tottenham against Ajax. We’re England. And we want to bring the Champions League to England.”

Rose working hard to win the No Schitt, Sherlock award this week.

Did all that stuff - which we mostly knew already - actually need to be said?

Rose working hard to win the No Schitt, Sherlock award this week.

Did all that stuff - which we mostly knew already - actually need to be said?

Most footballer interviews are based on stating the obvious. Rose gets slated (mostly rightly) when he goes off-piste in his comments so it seems unfair to hold a non-controversial few words against him. The club still seem happy to put him forward.
For me there’s nothing wrong in what he’s said there, or am I missing something? Hinting at wage levels?
I like hearing what Eriksen means to the rest of the players.

Most footballer interviews are based on stating the obvious. Rose gets slated (mostly rightly) when he goes off-piste in his comments so it seems unfair to hold a non-controversial few words against him. The club still seem happy to put him forward.
For me there’s nothing wrong in what he’s said there, or am I missing something? Hinting at wage levels?
I like hearing what Eriksen means to the rest of the players.

Yeah seems to me like he’s hinting at higher wages and buying more players again. At least it’s a bit more diplomatic in tone this time!

Yeah seems to me like he’s hinting at higher wages and buying more players again. At least it’s a bit more diplomatic in tone this time!

I don't think Danny gets to say anything to the press (anymore) that the club isn't ok with

- Been a lot of half rumours re Eriksen, even Poch saying something
- Also a bit of the club will be buying a few more players this summer

This is PR from the club, "trust us, we will pay and buy players"

I don't think Danny gets to say anything to the press (anymore) that the club isn't ok with

- Been a lot of half rumours re Eriksen, even Poch saying something
- Also a bit of the club will be buying a few more players this summer

This is PR from the club, "trust us, we will pay and buy players"

You reckon? I think it could also look like Danny going off on one yet again. Not as bad as his previous, but I think the club and particularly Poch would want to be presenting a united front, and Danny seems to view his role as applying pressure on the club for the good of the boys. I don’t think he trusts that the club is doing the best thing for the long term.

Poch has said that we need to give Eriksen the space to make his decision, and not put too much pressure on him before the end of the season. Of course we’d like to keep him. It is obvious. But I don’t think Levy and Poch need to be told. I don’t think we really need these quotes out there.

I read something on Goal recently that said that there was a feeling that if Danny didn’t give that Sun interview, some other players would have done. I think he views himself as a bit of a spokesman for the players, applying the pressure to get the best deal for the boys. Almost like a union leader. But it just shows he doesn’t really trust the club and I think he could be moved on because of it.

Put it this way, if Eriksen does go, because it’s a very realistic possibility if Barca or Real make a strong move for him, then it’s going to look like to a few people, if we bare these quotes in mind, that the club didn’t do enough to keep him. That they lack ambition and don’t want to pay the money. Even though Poch has already said it’s a special situation, Eriksen is a special person and will make his decision. Danny just isn’t being helpful.

Dear lord, some really do want to look at anything Rose says negatively:D He hasn’t said anything untoward, was obviously just answering what he was asked and he says it’s about money and ambition which everyone knows. If these quotes were from anyone other than Rose no one on here would give it a second thought. His honesty is refreshing, and more importantly he’s back to his best on the pitch....

You reckon? I think it could also look like Danny going off on one yet again. Not as bad as his previous, but I think the club and particularly Poch would want to be presenting a united front, and Danny seems to view his role as applying pressure on the club for the good of the boys. I don’t think he trusts that the club is doing the best thing for the long term.

Poch has said that we need to give Eriksen the space to make his decision, and not put too much pressure on him before the end of the season. Of course we’d like to keep him. It is obvious. But I don’t think Levy and Poch need to be told. I don’t think we really need these quotes out there.

I read something on Goal recently that said that there was a feeling that if Danny didn’t give that Sun interview, some other players would have done. I think he views himself as a bit of a spokesman for the players, applying the pressure to get the best deal for the boys. Almost like a union leader. But it just shows he doesn’t really trust the club and I think he could be moved on because of it.
Who cares.

Put it this way, if Eriksen does go, because it’s a very realistic possibility if Barca or Real make a strong move for him, then it’s going to look like to a few people, if we bare these quotes in mind, that the club didn’t do enough to keep him. That they lack ambition and don’t want to pay the money. Even though Poch has already said it’s a special situation, Eriksen is a special person and will make his decision. Danny just isn’t being helpful.
I think the Eriksen situation is 'special' (as Poch says) as it's probably agreed with Eriksen what we're willing to let happen. ie Eriksen has said there are 2 or 3 clubs (will have to be foreign) that he would like to join, we've said if any of those 2/3 come in with a bid to the level we want (circa 100-130m) we wont stand in your way. If none of those clubs come in, you sign a new contract for next season (happy to pay him 200k).

I think the Eriksen situation is 'special' (as Poch says) as it's probably agreed with Eriksen what we're willing to let happen. ie Eriksen has said there are 2 or 3 clubs (will have to be foreign) that he would like to join, we've said if any of those 2/3 come in with a bid to the level we want (circa 100-130m) we wont stand in your way. If none of those clubs come in, you sign a new contract for next season (happy to pay him 200k).
shows a lot of trust on our side - if that was a thing why not a new contract with a release clause. I think its likely that is what we want to see but in reality he is running down his contract unilaterally but being professional about it, we also see the value in keeping him until the last possible moment as it we are aware we couldn't buy a replacement as good and CL qualification is worth the risk of losing on a free.

shows a lot of trust on our side - if that was a thing why not a new contract with a release clause. I think its likely that is what we want to see but in reality he is running down his contract unilaterally but being professional about it, we also see the value in keeping him until the last possible moment as it we are aware we couldn't buy a replacement as good and CL qualification is worth the risk of losing on a free.

The nicey nicey Campbell approach.

I'm not sure if we can specify (legally) a release clause that's only open to foreign clubs. No way do we want him going to another prem team.

He's our 'Coutinho' asset......going on a free doesn't stack up at all.

I do think CE is (probably) a reasonable guy and if we show willing, he might as well.

Logically if no-one comes in that he perceives as a step up.......he'd likely stay put. And the step up list gets shorter every year.

Back