• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Blanchflower

"On 20 August, 1960, Tottenham Hotspur beat Everton 2-0 at White Hart Lane in the opening game of their double-winning season," Mr Collett said.

Wonder if any others on here also remember being at that game? Naturally memories fade but I can still recall bits of it. There was a great deal of hype and expectation pre-season that Tottenham would dazzle like they had so often the previous season, especially as Danny had predicted that this time round the team would do the Double.

Everton had other ideas of course, competing fiercely for every ball, so much so we struggled to impose our superiority and I still recall my frustration when deep into the second half, despite dominating possession, we'd failed to make the breakthrough. Eventually we scored (I no longer remember who) and the relief was huge. We went on to complete a far from dazzling 2-0 victory that hardly seemed the harbinger of the amazing season that was to follow.

I was in my second year. Hats off to you remembering even being at the game, let alone how it went.*

* I'm assuming no use of Google here ;)

I'm sure Les Allen scored one of the goals, I felt sorry for him, Bobby Smith and him were lethal that season but he was replaced by Greasvie and the rest is history.

I was in my second year. Hats off to you remembering even being at the game, let alone how it went.*

* I'm assuming no use of Google here ;)
Your assumption is correct sir!

I've since trawled the net for more info and eventually found a series of crap reports in the Liverpool Echo. Quite contrary to how I remember the game they claim Everton's performance was so sluggish they made it easy for us! The fact we didn't score until the last five minutes suggests otherwise. I still don't remember the goals by Les Allen and Bobby Smith, the latter's diving header illustrated by this somewhat murky photo.

Tottenham%20%20V%20Everton%20August%2022%201960%20Daily%20Mirror.png

http://www.bluecorrespondent.co.uk/1960-61/august1960.html

^^ Maybe Everton parked ze bus, against the Mighty Lilywhites

So you remember frustration and inability to get through the lines
Whereas a Scouse paper would report sluggish play etc.

^^ Maybe Everton parked ze bus, against the Mighty Lilywhites

So you remember frustration and inability to get through the lines
Whereas a Scouse paper would report sluggish play etc.
That's about it. I do clearly remember my frustration and disappointment at the quality of play from both sides. And one of those reports says much the same.

Parking the bus was pretty much unheard of in those days although I think it was at about that time it was beginning to creep in. Certainly by the (edit) late-60s it had become the norm. I seem to recall the Arse were one of the earliest instigators. Typical Gooner crap.

Last edited:
Back