• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Can't think of one better anywhere. A few years ago people went on about Randy Learer, but look what happened there. Levy's organically grown us up the league for a decade now.

For me he's made two mistakes - i) hiring Redknapp and ii) not firing Redknapp at the end of this season (and last actually). Other than that it has been pretty blemishless.

please elaborate

The handling of sacking Jol and bringing in Ramos was a monumental fudge up. The way that he handled the sale of Berbatov was a massive fudge up. His choice of managers has been questionable. The bid for the Olympic stadium was badly handled. We appear to lack a long term strategy and react to events, Levy has ripped it up and started again several times.

That said, I think that ENIC have been good for the club and a massive improvement on Sugar and Scholar.

Whilst I believe he is a good chairman, I sometimes think some of his decisions have been questionable. The timing of the Jol sacking, the appointment of santini after nearly two thirds of a season searching for the right man, the current uncertainty over Redknapp, the 'five year plan', the berbatov saga and general bend over approach that he seemed to take whenever man utd came calling, the pedantic approach to transfers that whilst good for the club in some ways detracts from it in others (other chairmen are loathe to deal with him certain reports have said), and the cringeworthy 'see you in the champions league Sol'. The bastard had retired by the time we got there!

Overall though, he's kept us competitive without doing a Risdale on us, and there has undoubtably been a general upward trend since he took over. From years of mid table mediocrity under sugar to challenging for champions league places on a regular basis, improving the infrastructure of the club through the training academy and new stadium (when it is finally built).

I think he is an excellent chairman and we are lucky to have him. He may have made some mistakes, but I think he has us doing far better than one would expect given our wage limits. Were it not for city and chavski his performance would look that much better.

I also think that, though we all may get impatient sometimes, we don't have to worry about Spurs imploding like Leeds.

Whilst I believe he is a good chairman, I sometimes think some of his decisions have been questionable. The timing of the Jol sacking, the appointment of santini after nearly two thirds of a season searching for the right man, the current uncertainty over Redknapp, the 'five year plan', the berbatov saga and general bend over approach that he seemed to take whenever man utd came calling, the pedantic approach to transfers that whilst good for the club in some ways detracts from it in others (other chairmen are loathe to deal with him certain reports have said), and the cringeworthy 'see you in the champions league Sol'. The bastard had retired by the time we got there!

Overall though, he's kept us competitive without doing a Risdale on us, and there has undoubtably been a general upward trend since he took over. From years of mid table mediocrity under sugar to challenging for champions league places on a regular basis, improving the infrastructure of the club through the training academy and new stadium (when it is finally built).

Spot on

If I recall correctly, he was still playing for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, year we got in. So we were in the CL while he wasn't, for a bit at least. ;)

Just Jol? if that was his only mistake then you could live with it, theres a lot more mistakes he has made than that

So you allow everyone one mistake. Interesting.

On the whole, he's got much, much more right than wrong. Do't be too hasty in dismissing him and ENIC. Remember the Scholar/Sugar years.

It seems people think he's good but the criticism is retrospective. Everyone is right with hindsight.

Brilliant chairman. Wouldn't want him to leave. Its a tough job running a club like Tottenhams size and balance the books with our calibre of players without being in the Champions League on a regular basis

Deary me, is it silly season already?

Mr Levy is a shrewd operator, who always seems to be acting in the CLUBS best interests.
Yes he has made errors, who hasn't? But he generally seems to emerge stronger from them.

We are financially sound, have a new stadium in the pipeline, fabulous training ground almost built. On the pitch we have established ourselves as a solid top 5 club once again - back in the early 2000s my mates would constantly wind me up asking if I considered Tottenham one of the "Big Five"....now days I'd say we have crept back in there. We have some of the most exciting players in the league, we are no longer pushovers in the transfer market. His open letters to supporters always seem quite clear, detailed, transparent and respectful.

Tottenham have been on an upward journey since 2005, I would expect the foundations for this very much were put in place after the Hoddle era, and Daniel Levy can put his name to most of the big decisions that have happened.

Honestly, if anyone doubts him it must be down to that natural pessemistic medical condition that comes with being a Spurs fan because I can't see any real evidence that he is doing a bad job.

All you need to do is this

- Look at the condition of Spurs in terms of finishes, finances, squad quality, facilities, future plans in the 5 years prior to Levy
- Look at those same measurables today
- Look at the finances, plans, wage bills, results of anyone above us

Mistakes are always easy to critique in hindsight, Jol -> Ramos could have been a masterstroke, as Ramos -> Harry could have been a disaster.

There isn't a Chairman doing a better job in England, period ...

like what?

if ur one of those still going on about jol..... get over it

I can name a few actually.

1) Sacking George Graham on the eve of a massive semi final
2) Sacking Glenn Hoddle, a Spurs legend, over the telephone
3) His treatment of Darren Anderton, who had been a long term servant of the cub
4) Hiring Arnesen and then ignoring his advice over a new Manager and bringing in Santini
5) His sacking of Jol and even worse than the decision itself, the manner in which it played out in the media
6) The Stratford debacle

Those are his six biggest blunders. There are other blunders that I guess remain down to personal preference of whether they are actually fudge ups or not. Putting faith in Pleat over Hoddle was a massive **** up in my opinion, and through that the subsequent treatment of Sheringham and Freund. Going down the whole director of football route was a mistake. His golden boy Arnesen fudged us over and walked out. His manager of choice, Santini, walked out. Hiring Comolli as Arnesen's replacement was a huge clusterfudge, as was listening to Comolli and getting rid of Jol for Ramos.

But credit to Levy in the fact he recognised (a few seasons too late in my opinion, but better late than never) what was going wrong and ditched the system. I just hope that after Redknapp goes we don't revert to it again.

MK, I guess the good news is 5 of your 6 happened at least 4-5 years ago.

Not sure I agree with you re the last ...

I think he's doing a very average job.

For every transfer deal where fans on here jack themselves off over how good he is for getting some ridiculous fee for some brick squad player, there are the deals where he's paid well in excess of what he should've done.

I'm not a fan of his prevarication; it's a false strategy. All this wait 'till the last minute brick: why?? It's got risk plastered all over it, and yet he does it over and over. And all the sake of potentially saving a few quid? What's so hilarious now, is that he does it so fudging often that it's now expected. Time to change tact on that 'strategy' Daniel - it doesn't fudging work.

If Levy was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch an amazing, wonderful, jizztastic businessman...then why, under his tenure, has he not properly addressed the single most important and considerable issue at the club. The stadium. Plans are piffle, anyone can fudging plan anything - but where's his pragmatism; his desire to grasp the nettle and make solid progress? It's STILL all hot air. So, whilst other clubs around us actually take a risk, Spurs and Levy stand still and wait for the grass to grow beneth them. Because that IS what he's done on this issue: absolutely ZERO progress in the time since he took over to where we are now. As I said, "plans" don't mean fudge all; I could plan to buy Antigua...but it don't mean I have the conviction to see it through.

We've also had a couple of January transfer windows where, although very handily placed in the league, we've failed to go into the market and strengthen, in order to galvanise for the run-in. Predictably, we then find ourselves short and running on fumes towards the end. Why? What, to save a bit of cash and try and get the Champions League on the cheap? That's all it is: cheapo gonad*s, which ends up biting you in the arse. No balls to roll a dice and GAMBLE; he's far too risk averse for that.

He's been nothing short of brilliant in growing commercial revenue though, of that there can be no doubt and - by quite some distance - he is the best Chairman in the league at delivering on that front. I also have an admiration for how he dealt with rebuffing all of the Modric speculation last summer - that took balls; it was a risk to hang onto Modric after he'd basically called him a liar, but it paid off. I also credit him for quickly realising the mistake he'd made in appointing Juande Ramos and, although financially embarrassing and it would also make his judgement look weak, he swiftly acted to fire him. So, credit where it IS very much due.

He's NOT this Superman character that some fans like to make him out to be though. Not by a long shot. He's done some good things for the Club, but he's also made some seriously brick errors of judgement which has cost us and has set us back in our growth. Would I change him? That's a massive question, and one I could only answer if I knew the calibre of the choice he'd be up against; rest assured though, I'm not married to the idea of Daniel Levy being 'the mesiah' and I do think there could be a Chairman/Owner out there who could actually do a better job than him.

MK, I guess the good news is 5 of your 6 happened at least 4-5 years ago.

Not sure I agree with you re the last ...

Mainly down to the fact he hired Redknapp who has done a bloody good job.

As for Stratford, I know it's an emotional topic but we are TOTTENHAM Hotspur. AFAIC if we move from Tottenham then Levy should have the decency to do what the old Wimbledon did and completely change the name. Stratford FC or something like that, and therefore allow a new club to be created that can be called Tottenham Hotspur (which would be the one I'd support).

If Levy was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch an amazing, wonderful, jizztastic businessman...then why, under his tenure, has he not properly addressed the single most important and considerable issue at the club. The stadium. Plans are piffle, anyone can fudging plan anything - but where's his pragmatism; his desire to grasp the nettle and make solid progress? It's STILL all hot air. So, whilst other clubs around us actually take a risk, Spurs and Levy stand still and wait for the grass to grow beneth them. Because that IS what he's done on this issue: absolutely ZERO progress in the time since he took over to where we are now. As I said, "plans" don't mean fudge all; I could plan to buy Antigua...but it don't mean I have the conviction to see it through.

It's not like we own the land to build it on... or that we have planning permission.. or any of those sorts of things..

right? right?

Building a new stadium in not a thing to be rushed. It is a hugely important step and should be carefully planned as not to financially cripple us when it does end up being built. I'm glad he has not rushed into this headfirst without any long-term strategies in place.

Back