• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Moshiri is worth $2.9billion according to latest Forbes figures.
Maybe his wealth has grown in lockdown
But $2.9B is about £2b
That really isn’t much for a club owner
I do like Moshiri although I wish he wouldn’t use talkSPORT as his mouthpiece

Last edited:
If we can get back to what is wrong with Enic and Levy's method of operating - then for twenty years they have delivered one trophy - lets keep sight of that. Ten, coming up 11 Managers, and as I have said before they weren't all terrible.
We make statements on here about what has gone wrong with various transfers and that's from hearsay and speculation BUT I do not think I am wrong in saying that Levy's transfer method is to bid low and then take weeks to inch up towards a valuation that the selling club will accept and on outgoings he uses the same method - quote high and come down very slowly. All this means is that important transfers targets are lost and the team's needs are not paramount - if we need to sell to buy then sell quick - take a haircut on the fee to get them off the payroll and then you have funds to commit to incomings.
The essence of this is that I think Levy is a Space Cadet - absolutely disputing the reality of transfer and wages methods. So with our wage bill as a percentage of revenue, 6th/7th is about right for us. BUT I read that this was pointed out to him at some THST meeting and he simply said that he wasn't convinced there is a correlation in that.
I keep reading that Levy will learn lessons BUT I am not convinced he will - twenty years remember and we still hope he will learn lessons. He is a paradox - do what is right for the club in terms of finance/profitability and shareholder value and do what is wrong for the TEAM in terms of success and trophies.
If Harry says he wants to go because he doesn't believe that he will win trophies here then that should be a real turning point in how Levy is viewed.
Twenty years people - we are better than this performance by Enic... :(

If we can get back to what is wrong with Enic and Levy's method of operating - then for twenty years they have delivered one trophy - lets keep sight of that. Ten, coming up 11 Managers, and as I have said before they weren't all terrible.
We make statements on here about what has gone wrong with various transfers and that's from hearsay and speculation BUT I do not think I am wrong in saying that Levy's transfer method is to bid low and then take weeks to inch up towards a valuation that the selling club will accept and on outgoings he uses the same method - quote high and come down very slowly. All this means is that important transfers targets are lost and the team's needs are not paramount - if we need to sell to buy then sell quick - take a haircut on the fee to get them off the payroll and then you have funds to commit to incomings.
The essence of this is that I think Levy is a Space Cadet - absolutely disputing the reality of transfer and wages methods. So with our wage bill as a percentage of revenue, 6th/7th is about right for us. BUT I read that this was pointed out to him at some THST meeting and he simply said that he wasn't convinced there is a correlation in that.
I keep reading that Levy will learn lessons BUT I am not convinced he will - twenty years remember and we still hope he will learn lessons. He is a paradox - do what is right for the club in terms of finance/profitability and shareholder value and do what is wrong for the TEAM in terms of success and trophies.
If Harry says he wants to go because he doesn't believe that he will win trophies here then that should be a real turning point in how Levy is viewed.

Twenty years and how many finals and semi finals where the players have failed to show up?

Which trophies do you think we left on the table?

these all blur for me, was that the 4-2?

if so Davies was on the bench right, Son was a tactical choice rather than a forced one
70C47ADE-929F-4965-96A1-C29A97D0CD00.png
this game
We weren’t fatigued
We were up against a Side who were managed better
And Walker was on the bench too with Davies
That month Chelsea lost two games due to what conte described as tiredness but he cracked on and they won the league
We won every game that month apart form the semi

Afaia Ajax had an option to extend and took it. But i can't say I'm following our managerial hunt through the media all that much - personally i don't know why people do it to themselves, same with transfer gossip - not really my bag. Nice to muse on the possibilities on the forum, but taking any of it seriously? Nah.

Let's see who we appoint, let's see how they perform - if it's an appointment that i disagree with, i won't be happy and after the Poch sacking and the Mourinho appointment i think they need to get it right, appointing someone like Southgate or Benitez will have me questioning what their vision for success is (for different reasons) - but I'll appreciate that i have been wrong about managers before (Redknapp/AVB) Get it wrong though (as in whoever it is actually fails) and then we are looking at an extended period of wrong decisions off the field that will have taken us backwards on the field, from not back backing Poch, to sacking him, to appointing Jose to whoever the new guy is - that sort of run, although some of it in the testing circumstances of a stadium build, would be enough to have me thinking about whether Levy/ENIC can take us forward on the pitch now we have the clout of a stadium behind us.

It seems you're already at that point - i get it and anyone that has read my take on Pochettino and what went wrong over the last few years will know i put the blame there on the clubs shoulders and i agree mostly with what you have said about that above however i also appreciate that between the stadium build and more importantly the delay on moving in and extended stay at Wembley we were balancing some pretty big plates at that time, one of them a multi-hundred million pound plate that could bury us if it smashed.

If you look at what went wrong during Pochettinos time it can mostly be traced back to that near two year period we played at Wembley and especially that final 3/4s of a year where noone knew one week to the next where we were going to be playing. I don't think it's a coincidence that this is the year that there were no signings.

For me bad decisions were made in this period, that were then compounded when we made the manager change - but ultimately, as stated above, the root are the decisions/mistakes made when trying to deliver the stadium build off the pitch, i think that's just about the bricktiest timing of anything Spurs related i can think of - our best team in decades coming at a point in time that we had our focus elsewhere.

No stadium issue going on in the background and we likely invest in Pochettinos vision better than we did - is essentially what I'm getting at and considering it's rare situation for a club to work through I'm not particularly worried about the club mismanaging certain things at that juncture, (or at least I'm willing to give them a pass) nor am i expecting us to be in that sort of situation again so I'm not worried about those mistakes being repeated. I think that's fair.

Appreciate everything you’re saying on ENIC. It sounds like we are just at different points, but as you say I got to a point where my trust broke with them. I was concerned at the Poch sacking, was willing to be proven wrong on Jose, but it just seems like one bad decision after another. If it turns out that the stadium has us now genuinely punching at a Liverpool / Chelsea weight, I’ll be perfectly happy for ENIC to see us through that. My issue is that I think they are still too cautious, as I don’t think Poch would have been so annoyed if we were about to kick it up a gear.

And this is why the managerial hunt concerns me too. If we were punching at Liverpool / Chelsea weight, I think we’d be a great destination for ETH and he’d be jumping all over it. Or another top manager. But I think what is happening is that they come into a meeting with Levy, they make demands / seek certain assurances, and Levy backs away. That we don’t seem to be in the conversation whatsoever for a name anywhere close to Poch’s level suggests to me ENIC don’t have the pitch to attract someone like that. I honestly think we’ll get Parker or Potter, we’ll have Jack Pitte-Brooke being briefed that they ‘blew Daniel away’ in the interview process, and we’ll see how we do. Which is fine - I just think that if we were really about to punch up a level, this would be a premier job for one of the best in the world. That it doesn’t quite seem to be, informs my opinion of where ENIC seem to have us punching.

Appreciate everything you’re saying on ENIC. It sounds like we are just at different points, but as you say I got to a point where my trust broke with them. I was concerned at the Poch sacking, was willing to be proven wrong on Jose, but it just seems like one bad decision after another. If it turns out that the stadium has us now genuinely punching at a Liverpool / Chelsea weight, I’ll be perfectly happy for ENIC to see us through that. My issue is that I think they are still too cautious, as I don’t think Poch would have been so annoyed if we were about to kick it up a gear.

And this is why the managerial hunt concerns me too. If we were punching at Liverpool / Chelsea weight, I think we’d be a great destination for ETH and he’d be jumping all over it. Or another top manager. But I think what is happening is that they come into a meeting with Levy, they make demands / seek certain assurances, and Levy backs away. That we don’t seem to be in the conversation whatsoever for a name anywhere close to Poch’s level suggests to me ENIC don’t have the pitch to attract someone like that. I honestly think we’ll get Parker or Potter, we’ll have Jack Pitte-Brooke being briefed that they ‘blew Daniel away’ in the interview process, and we’ll see how we do. Which is fine - I just think that if we were really about to punch up a level, this would be a premier job for one of the best in the world. That it doesn’t quite seem to be, informs my opinion of where ENIC seem to have us punching.
Who are these managers that are “one of the best on the world”?
Poch isn’t yet and he is revered by us
Jose’s track record says he was and he was despised
The issue is of course that with certain clubs hoovering the trophies we have less managers winning things
And then fans don’t want to look down for the next boss

I would have thought after Mourinho and to a lesser extent AVB & Ramos, Spurs fans would be more wary than most wrt to big name managers - especially when our 3 best of recent times have been little known. Pochetwith a little more backing could have won us the league & CL, why do we need a top tier manager to replicate that?

Who are the top tier of managers out there that we should be hunting down anyway? Genuine question because I'm out the loop, but it does seem like we're in a different football landscape to when the likes of LVG and Capello were opperating. Beyond Guardiola and Klopp there seems to be a dearth of 'big names' Nagelsmann was the hottest name this summer and in reality he's achieved fudge all of note. Allegri has been on the market for a while now with no takers. United appointed Solskjar, Munich were led to the CL by someone who was only an assistant prior to managing them, Real Madrids current manager had no experience before joing them...

When managers tend to stay in jobs for short periods of times i think the idea is a little outdated and as has been touched on before a lot has to fall in to place for a manager to succeed, a manager who may succeed at one club may fail at another.

I would have thought after Mourinho and to a lesser extent AVB & Ramos, Spurs fans would be more wary than most wrt to big name managers - especially when our 3 best of recent times have been little known. Pochetwith a little more backing could have won us the league & CL, why do we need a top tier manager to replicate that?

Who are the top tier of managers out there that we should be hunting down anyway? Genuine question because I'm out the loop, but it does seem like we're in a different football landscape to when the likes of LVG and Capello were opperating. Beyond Guardiola and Klopp there seems to be a dearth of 'big names' Nagelsmann was the hottest name this summer and in reality he's achieved fudge all of note. Allegri has been on the market for a while now with no takers. United appointed Solskjar, Munich were led to the CL by someone who was only an assistant prior to managing them, Real Madrids current manager had no experience before joing them...

When managers tend to stay in jobs for short periods of times i think the idea is a little outdated and as has been touched on before a lot has to fall in to place for a manager to succeed, a manager who may succeed at one club may fail at another.
That’s my issue
There isnt an obvious stand out candidate

That’s fair, I don’t think there are lots of stand out candidates, and I’m certainly not one for ‘hire a big name’. I’m all about alignment, someone that works with our strategy, does what we need them to do.

And that’s why I just don’t get the ETH thing. He isn’t even that big a name. But he plays attacking, progressive football, he develops young players, he should be everything we want. And we should be everything he wants. Similarly Rodgers - I think if we were genuinely going to take a Liverpool / Chelsea like leap and really compete, I think he’d see us as a better bet to win the League and compete in the CL than Leicester.

Either ETH and Levy just really did not get on, or we aren’t able to offer the pitch to attract someone like him, who isn’t even the biggest name. I just don’t see why, in a universe where we are about to take a real leap, it makes sense to extend your contract with Ajax. What job is he waiting for that would easily be better?

And regardless, this again calls into question the wisdom of sacking Poch, assuming there’ll always be someone else out there, that it wasn’t his doing that helped us massively overachieve, it was actually the Levy plan that was most important.

People don't like to criticise ENIC too harshly given where we were as a club in the 90s. Although i'm not in that camp.

Everton, like us, also ever present PL team who, compared to the 90s, were utter brick finishing 15th etc like we were. Now they're a different kettle of fish, like us because the money from the PL and being ever present in the division has allowed the team to improve from where they were 20 years ago, just like us.

The simple fact is we're run as business first and foremost, and Levy likes to do things on the cheap. People can pat themselves on the back saying "Levy spends, look he made signings for Poch in his final season" which conveniately ignores the fact we brought Ndombele in early, and Lo Celso and Sessegnon were end of window signings as usual. Because the priority isn't on the pitch.

Levy is no different to the Glazers, people need to remove the rose tinted spectacles thinking he gives a brick about on pitch issues, he does the bare minimum to keep us competing but maximise our revenue. Same as Kroenke too.

People don't like to criticise ENIC too harshly given where we were as a club in the 90s. Although i'm not in that camp.

Everton, like us, also ever present PL team who, compared to the 90s, were utter brick finishing 15th etc like we were. Now they're a different kettle of fish, like us because the money from the PL and being ever present in the division has allowed the team to improve from where they were 20 years ago, just like us.

The simple fact is we're run as business first and foremost, and Levy likes to do things on the cheap. People can pat themselves on the back saying "Levy spends, look he made signings for Poch in his final season" which conveniately ignores the fact we brought Ndombele in early, and Lo Celso and Sessegnon were end of window signings as usual. Because the priority isn't on the pitch.

Levy is no different to the Glazers, people need to remove the rose tinted spectacles thinking he gives a brick about on pitch issues, he does the bare minimum to keep us competing but maximise our revenue. Same as Kroenke too.

source.gif

That’s fair, I don’t think there are lots of stand out candidates, and I’m certainly not one for ‘hire a big name’. I’m all about alignment, someone that works with our strategy, does what we need them to do.

And that’s why I just don’t get the ETH thing. He isn’t even that big a name. But he plays attacking, progressive football, he develops young players, he should be everything we want. And we should be everything he wants. Similarly Rodgers - I think if we were genuinely going to take a Liverpool / Chelsea like leap and really compete, I think he’d see us as a better bet to win the League and compete in the CL than Leicester.

Either ETH and Levy just really did not get on, or we aren’t able to offer the pitch to attract someone like him, who isn’t even the biggest name. I just don’t see why, in a universe where we are about to take a real leap, it makes sense to extend your contract with Ajax. What job is he waiting for that would easily be better?

And regardless, this again calls into question the wisdom of sacking Poch, assuming there’ll always be someone else out there, that it wasn’t his doing that helped us massively overachieve, it was actually the Levy plan that was most important.

Rodgers still has a lot going on with Leicester atm so I'd watch that space rather than call it as done - interesting the bookies still consider him a favourite. ETH - Ajax supposedly had an extension clause that they activated rather than he signed a new deal. Me personally, I'd be as happy with Potter as i would with either of those because i think it would show that we are looking at what the manager has in his locker, rather than what he has on his honors list. He also knows the league and presumably has an idea of our squad strengths and weaknesses which should help in the short term.

@Modric THFC done a breakdown last night i think of some of the negative parts of Rodgers managerial record and it does have me second guessing him a bit - terrible record in Europe and no Rangers to contend with at Celtic does color his achievements somewhat.

Last edited:
Rodgers still has a lot going on with Leicester atm so I'd watch that space rather than call it as done - interesting the bookies still consider him a favourite. ETH - Ajax supposedly had an extension clause that they activated rather than he signed a new deal. Me personally, I'd be as happy with Potter as i would with either of those because i think it would show that we are looking at what the manager has in his locker, rather than what he has on his honors list. He also knows the league and presumably has an idea of our squad strengths and weaknesses which should help in the short term.

@Modric THFC done a breakdown last night i think of some of the negative parts of Rodgers managerial record and it does have me second guessing him a bit - terrible record in Europe and no Rangers to contend with at Celtic does color his achievements somewhat.

Agree with you, and especially with Mourinho getting a new gig and probably saving us a few £££ on gardening leave payments, I think Rodgers is more likely than before

Don't understand the Everton comparison?

again, you make it sound really simple, there are loads of clubs who would benefit from a new stadium, why are they not doing this?
At a guess, because they don't have the collateral or name to either raise the finance in the first place or have any hope of financing the debt. I imagine that ENIC being a successful investment fund with a billionaire backer have a pretty good credit rating.

Back