• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

No question, anyone with any sense could see Mourinho was finished at the top level and he blundered on ahead regardless.

The only glimmer of hope is that having gone balls out for his long term no.1 managerial target and it falling flat on it's face that he finally realises he doesn't understand the game as much as he thought he did and starts deferring to people who do
Please GHod! (Put that in there especially for Scara/Baleforce).

Which is why we actually need to start at the top with the chairman....
Yes, get rid of the chairman that has got us to the point that we can compete. His work has meant we now have closed the gap significantly on income.
This had put us in a position were he was loosening the purse strings and we've had a couple of good transfer windows (yes more needs to be done still).

Reactions: DTA
Yes, get rid of the chairman

Works for me. ;)

More seriously, this is Levy and ENIC's glass ceiling. Individually, Levy has never been in charge of a club with the opportunity to compete at the top, and it has become gradually clear since that failed window when we were top of the table in January 2012 that Levy *cannot* compete at this level. Everything he is that allows for an extremely slow, extremely plodding ascent to an upper mid-table level - extreme caution, risk-aversion, personal involvement in all decision-making, negotiating over individual pennies and wasting weeks and months of priceless time - all those qualities become liabilities when you're looking to make the final step, be decisive and splash out to win the big titles. What matters there is boldness, decisiveness and *timing* - knowing when to make a big plunge. In January 2012, January 2016, summer 2016, January 2017, summer 2018 and January 2019 - all times when we were in positions to achieve big things - Levy shrunk at the last. Now he's scrambling just to arrest the damage from all those failures, but it's too late.

Mind, his shortcomings are mirrored by our ownership in general. He is cautious, in part, because we have the most typically Tottenham, monkeys' paw owner of all time - the only billionaire owner in the word who doesn't give a single damn about his side. An utter deadweight who is utterly useless to us as a club (and society more broadly given that he's a tax exile, but that's another story).

Both are holding us back. Nothing we can do until they sell, but I do look forward to the day they're gone.

Works for me. ;)

More seriously, this is Levy and ENIC's glass ceiling. Individually, Levy has never been in charge of a club with the opportunity to compete at the top, and it has become gradually clear since that failed window when we were top of the table in January 2012 that Levy *cannot* compete at this level. Everything he is that allows for an extremely slow, extremely plodding ascent to an upper mid-table level - extreme caution, risk-aversion, personal involvement in all decision-making, negotiating over individual pennies and wasting weeks and months of priceless time - all those qualities become liabilities when you're looking to make the final step, be decisive and splash out to win the big titles. What matters there is boldness, decisiveness and *timing* - knowing when to make a big plunge. In January 2012, January 2016, summer 2016, January 2017, summer 2018 and January 2019 - all times when we were in positions to achieve big things - Levy shrunk at the last. Now he's scrambling just to arrest the damage from all those failures, but it's too late.

Mind, his shortcomings are mirrored by our ownership in general. He is cautious, in part, because we have the most typically Tottenham, monkeys' paw owner of all time - the only billionaire owner in the word who doesn't give a single damn about his side. An utter deadweight who is utterly useless to us as a club (and society more broadly given that he's a tax exile, but that's another story).

Both are holding us back. Nothing we can do until they sell, but I do look forward to the day they're gone.

Just the small matter of a stadium build to contend with during that period...

I'm down on him as I've ever been over the handling of Poch and the hiring of Mourinho but let's see what we achieve over a period when we aren't being hamstrung financially by a stadium build - so far we're spending at a competitive rate since the final build costs were known, let's see where we get to now that's where we are operating.

I think that's fair

Just the small matter of a stadium build to contend with during that period...

I'm down on him as I've ever been over the handling of Poch and the hiring of Mourinho but let's see what we achieve over a period when we aren't being hamstrung financially by a stadium build - so far we're spending at a competitive rate since the final build costs were known, let's see where we get to now that's where we are operating.

I think that's fair

Even this summer, though. I despise Mourinho's tenure here, but he asked for Milan Skriniar to overhaul an atrocious backline and got...Joe Rodon on deadline day.

He still runs the the club like it's his pound store on the corner and shaving every nickel out of every deal is the one and only priority. He's loosened up a tiny bit since the stadium opened up, but penny wise, pound-foolish still applies. Doesn't work when you want to win things. Never has, never ever will.

Works for me. ;)

Yes, lets forget the stadium and the limits that imposed on our spending. I've said it before, the last 20 were about getting the infrastructure and commercial side sorted after the previous 20 years of mis-management. That's mostly done (slower than the ideal but there were outside factors that slowed it down). It's the next 5 years that he needs to have success on the pitch to show that the last 20 years were worth it.
Dumping money into one transfer window might have got us a trophy, but it would be short term success. If Levy's approach turns out to be correct then it's for long term success and security of the club.

Reactions: DTA
Even this summer, though. I despise Mourinho's tenure here, but he asked for Milan Skriniar to overhaul an atrocious backline and got...Joe Rodon on deadline day.

He still runs the the club like it's his pound store on the corner and shaving every nickel out of every deal is the one and only priority. He's loosened up a tiny bit since the stadium opened up, but penny wise, pound-foolish still applies. Doesn't work when you want to win things. Never has, never ever will.
Yeah, ignore the ~£125m that's been spent under Mourinho

He still runs the the club like it's his pound store on the corner and shaving every nickel out of every deal is the one and only priority. Doesn't work when you want to win things. Never has, never ever will.

Managers don't get every target, we had a lot of work to do in the summer - unfair to expect all our needs to have been met.

Both the manager and supporters were full of praise for the work done in the summer. Not really fair to after time like this

Yes, lets forget the stadium and the limits that imposed on our spending. I've said it before, the last 20 were about getting the infrastructure and commercial side sorted after the previous 20 years of mis-management. That's mostly done (slower than the ideal but there were outside factors that slowed it down). It's the next 5 years that he needs to have success on the pitch to show that the last 20 years were worth it.
Dumping money into one transfer window might have got us a trophy, but it would be short term success. If Levy's approach turns out to be correct then it's for long term success and security of the club.

20 years where the Premier League did most of the growth for him. Our explosion in value and ability to afford the stadium itself is less about Levy, more about the Prem's growth as a whole which took us with it. Our middling success with commercial deals tells a different story.

As for the fact that it took 20 years, let's see when Everton's Bramley-Moore dock stadium is finished. At that point, their owner will have poured money into them while still finding time to build their stadium and new training ground in about half the time Levy took.

I maintain that he's hit his glass ceiling, and new owners are needed now - ENIC are deadweights.

Managers don't get every target, we had a lot of work to do in the summer - unfair to expect all our needs to have been met.

Both the manager and supporters were full of praise for the work done in the summer. Not really fair to after time like this

Thought the recruitment in the summer was excellent and said so at the time. I stand by it. CB was always the area of concern but stopping other teams scoring is the easiest bit to coach and our man has a reputation for being able to do it. He's utterly failed.

Yeah he doesnt have VVD and Dias but he hardly has Gary Doherty and Kevin Scott either. We have four full internationals for decent teams in the CB positions for fudge sake. He should be able to get enough of a tune out of them to allow the considerable creative talents at his disposal to win us games.

We had a lot of work to do because of his historic dereliction of duty for an entire calendar year, though. And as for managers not getting every target, Poch said it a long time ago - we need sofas, but we keep buying chairs. It's not a one-off thing with us - it's far rarer to actually get the transformative player that changes our fortunes than the second-rate dud who's cheaper but flops.

Our squad is full of the latter - Aurier, Sissoko, et al.

We had a lot of work to do because of his historic dereliction of duty for an entire calendar year, though. And as for managers not getting every target, Poch said it a long time ago - we need sofas, but we keep buying chairs. It's not a one-off thing with us - it's far rarer to actually get the transformative player that changes our fortunes than the second-rate dud who's cheaper but flops.

Our squad is full of the latter - Aurier, Sissoko, et al.

Yes but that all comes back to the lack of funding due to the stadium build - could and should have been handled better, but maintaining a high level with no money to spend is always going to see a higher liklihood of regression than progression.

The real issue is that Levy (who the documentary plainly revealed as having no more football knowledge than the average fan) is still making football decisions and having an input into the clubs transfers.

He should step away and concentrate on getting sponsors etc. It's obvious he enjoys the football side of it (sitting with Mourinho and the rest). But he's to let all that go.

He should have no say in the appointment of the next manager. He was fooled by AVB's powerpoint. He appointed Tim Sherwood. He believed Mourinho's changed man nonsense.

Picking the manager is the starting point of everything at the club.
There's no point in having a world class stadium, world class training facilities and some world class players when you have a non expert picking the manager.

The real issue is that Levy (who the documentary plainly revealed as having no more football knowledge than the average fan) is still making football decisions and having an input into the clubs transfers.

He should step away and concentrate on getting sponsors etc. It's obvious he enjoys the football side of it (sitting with Mourinho and the rest). But he's to let all that go.

He should have no say in the appointment of the next manager. He was fooled by AVB's powerpoint. He appointed Tim Sherwood. He believed Mourinho's changed man nonsense.

There's no point in having a world class stadium, world class training facilities and some world class players when you have a non expert picking the manager.
We have a new guy for sponsors
An American chap who got a lot of stadium naming rights deals done in the us

This is a very fair point. He's obviously an excellent business man, but he probably shouldn't be the one hiring footballers or managers.

Excellent post. I like Levy but you make very fair points

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back