• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I’ll speculate
Pool won’t spend as much as some clubs
City will spend more than pool
United will spend a lot on 2/3 players
Chelsea won’t spend much at all
Arsenal won’t either unless they get CL
We will spend more than Arse and Chelsea
IMO of course with not science or facts and having never seen a clubs balance sheet

I think we'll spend in a region which will take the clubs overall balance sheet close to 0 (as in break even as a business)

The club did the right thing. It had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do the right thing, mind, but it got there.

I was never more utterly ashamed of my club than when they announced that atrocious decision to cut wages and furlough staff.

I have rarely been prouder than now, when they reversed it and gave a fair deal to all the ordinary working men and women who make Spurs what it is.

I'm just..proud of the club. Proud of the fans, who were relentless in their criticism of this - across social media, in the news, in the pubs, fans came together like never before to express their shame and anger about this, and as the statement mentions, the strength of it was noted by the club.

Proud of the Trust, too - they're pretty powerless even relative to the likes of Spirit of Shankly, bit they do good work, and they worked with the club, represented the majority of the fans' views on this and contributed to the club reversing course. Hats off to them.

Also proud that fans across the league are against this, in general - for their clubs and for others. Football is *not* just another business, and it will die the more it tries to become one.

Finally, well done to Levy. It was late, and you had to be forced into it - but better late than never, and you did the right thing. You listened.

I hope those of us who supported the furlough and wage cuts, and those who were against, can now move on. It caused a lot of pro and anti-furlough sentiment amongst GG (not elsewhere, I have to say - fans elsewhere were pretty united in opposing it). But the club's done the right thing, so hopefully that's all in the past.

I can say I'm proud of THFC again - what a day. :)

I’ll speculate
Pool won’t spend as much as some clubs
City will spend more than pool
United will spend a lot on 2/3 players
Chelsea won’t spend much at all
Arsenal won’t either unless they get CL
We will spend more than Arse and Chelsea
IMO of course with not science or facts and having never seen a clubs balance sheet

Seems a reasonable assumption, but really it's about how good your buys are not what you spend.

I think we'll spend in a region which will take the clubs overall balance sheet close to 0 (as in break even as a business)
Maybe that will be the case
But if so we would have to sell some valuable players to get decent ones in as the ones I expect to sell won’t go for much

The club did the right thing. It had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do the right thing, mind, but it got there.

I was never more utterly ashamed of my club than when they announced that atrocious decision to cut wages and furlough staff.

I have rarely been prouder than now, when they reversed it and gave a fair deal to all the ordinary working men and women who make Spurs what it is.

I'm just..proud of the club. Proud of the fans, who were relentless in their criticism of this - across social media, in the news, in the pubs, fans came together like never before to express their shame and anger about this, and as the statement mentions, the strength of it was noted by the club.

Proud of the Trust, too - they're pretty powerless even relative to the likes of Spirit of Shankly, bit they do good work, and they worked with the club, represented the majority of the fans' views on this and contributed to the club reversing course. Hats off to them.

Also proud that fans across the league are against this, in general - for their clubs and for others. Football is *not* just another business, and it will die the more it tries to become one.

Finally, well done to Levy. It was late, and you had to be forced into it - but better late than never, and you did the right thing. You listened.

I hope those of us who supported the furlough and wage cuts, and those who were against, can now move on. It caused a lot of pro and anti-furlough sentiment amongst GG (not elsewhere, I have to say - fans elsewhere were pretty united in opposing it). But the club's done the right thing, so hopefully that's all in the past.

I can say I'm proud of THFC again - what a day. :)

"represented the majority of the fans' views on this".

Was there a poll of fans that I missed?

"represented the majority of the fans' views on this".

Was there a poll of fans that I missed?

No, not really. Unscientific estimate based on the responses the club were getting on various platforms - everything single thing the club posted on social media was bombarded with 'pay your staff', r/coys hated it, TFC mostly hated it, Spurscommunity mostly hated it. Didn't see many folks actually saying the furlough was okay, so assumed accordingly.

No, not really. Unscientific estimate based on the responses the club were getting on various platforms - everything single thing the club posted on social media was bombarded with 'pay your staff', r/coys hated it, TFC mostly hated it, Spurscommunity mostly hated it. Didn't see many folks actually saying the furlough was okay, so assumed accordingly.

It’s the issue with those platforms
Their all about who shouts loudest

Fair enough mate, but they're who you have available to go on when estimating supporter reactions to anything, unless you have an actual survey.
True
But as with most platforms people only wrote negative stuff
People rarely go on to compliment things
That’s how humans work which is odd but very true
Bad new, or negative views... shout it loud
Acceptance or good news.... nah not interested
I think it comes form seeing others fail in human nature and hoping its not you
Sure there will be some science on it

True
But as with most platforms people only wrote negative stuff
People rarely go on to compliment things
That’s how humans work which is odd but very true
Bad new, or negative views... shout it loud
Acceptance or good news.... nah not interested
I think it comes form seeing others fail in human nature and hoping its not you
Sure there will be some science on it

Also very true. For the sake of countering the trend on this platform at least -

Well done, Daniel Levy. You did the right thing, and it takes balls to admit you were wrong.

Also very true. For the sake of countering the trend on this platform at least -

Well done, Daniel Levy. You did the right thing, and it takes balls to admit you were wrong.

I’d argue very strongly that this platform is a better temporaries check as the people on here have been on here longer... are much less faceless and show more passion without the anger and rage

the fans on Twitter and other social platforms are generally mental cases who go on to literally moan. I’d even saw people moan about sons goal vs Burnley as it would have been better if it was against a good side for example

It's hard to be outraged by the club's initial actions when you've had to take a pay cut yourself or even lost your job, it's a reality for everyone.. There's some real detached, high-horse riding clams that have emerged out of this, in my opinion.

My answer was a bit facetious, so sorry for that.
I just don't think it is quite so cut and dried. People in general tend to make more noise about things they disagree with, or bad experiences, than the other way around.

I think most fans would have preferred that the lowest earners, ie. minimum/living wage, were not losing any of their income. They are (based on absolutely no direct knowledge, just imo) most likely to be living locally, not gaining any significant through saving fares etc.

There were also employees earning more than £30k* also taking a pay cut. For those that were furloughed, some of whom probably travelled into Tottenham, or Enfield, savings made would have counterbalanced at least some of the wage cut.
(*Btw I am not suggesting that £30k or just above is a decent salary for London.)

The biggest issue for me was why fans had a bee in their bonnet about the club using the government scheme. It is precisely what it is there for. The Chancellor said that it is not limited to particular companies and the more employers that use it, the more successful he will have deemed the scheme to be. It feels to me like a lack of understanding of the purpose, and the economics, of the whole thing.
Also on one hand it's not that much money that is being saved by the club, on the other hand, THFC is exorbitantly fleecing the taxpayer.

I do believe that had the club initially used the furlough scheme, but topped up the 20% rather than making everyone take a 20% pay cut, the fan reaction (amongst those making their views known) would have been more evenly split.

It's hard to be outraged by the club's initial actions when you've had to take a pay cut yourself or even lost your job, it's a reality for everyone.. There's some real detached, high-horse riding clams that have emerged out of this, in my opinion.

I just don't think it is quite so cut and dried. People in general tend to make more noise about things they disagree with, or bad experiences, than the other way around.

I think most fans would have preferred that the lowest earners, ie. minimum/living wage, were not losing any of their income. They are (based on absolutely no direct knowledge, just imo) most likely to be living locally, not gaining any significant through saving fares etc.

There were also employees earning more than £30k* also taking a pay cut. For those that were furloughed, some of whom probably travelled into Tottenham, or Enfield, savings made would have counterbalanced at least some of the wage cut.
(*Btw I am not suggesting that £30k or just above is a decent salary for London.)

The biggest issue for me was why fans had a bee in their bonnet about the club using the government scheme. It is precisely what it is there for. The Chancellor said that it is not limited to particular companies and the more employers that use it, the more successful he will have deemed the scheme to be. It feels to me like a lack of understanding of the purpose, and the economics, of the whole thing.
Also on one hand it's not that much money that is being saved by the club, on the other hand, THFC is exorbitantly fleecing the taxpayer.

I do believe that had the club initially used the furlough scheme, but topped up the 20% rather than making everyone take a 20% pay cut, the fan reaction (amongst those making their views known) would have been more evenly split.

It’s called false fury

I always worry so much what those readers think:rolleyes:

I mean, you should, because from the outside looking in at Britain, they seem to be getting everything they want, from Brexit to Boris Johnson - so maybe there's method to their grumbling. :p

Re: your answer being facetious, not at all. Unlike some folks on here (@parklane1 and his weird obsession with voodoo doll analogies, for instance), you're not antagonistic, and you offer reasoned responses when people are emotional - me included. I recognize that, so it's all good mate. :p

Re: the furlough scheme, I think fans understood what it was there for. But, and this is the point folks have been making throughout - fans do not see their clubs as businesses like all the rest.

Yes, big companies use the furlough - BA, Virgin and so on. Many bigger than football clubs. But (in my opinion) for fans, to use a scheme like that is seen as unnecessary, because a) it's butting in ahead of a small business which may need it more, and b) when the taxes rise to pay for the scheme, the filty-rich PL clubs will handle it far better than small businesses already operating at the margins.

It's not doing your bit, in other words - yes, it's theoretically there for everyone, but you're going to get some flak in a time of need for thinking of yourself first. If there's one thing I'm very proud of in our societies, it's that we've responded to COVID-19 with social solidarity instead of retreating into 'me first' modes of thinking - this ran very contrary to that.

Re: starting out with paying staff at 100%, I agree - I think it certainly would have lessened the outrage. All's well that ends well, though.

Back