• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I think that's a pretty patronising take on Poch.

He was a worthy applicant for the job. His stock has skyrocketed because of himself. His backroom team, his methods, his philosophy, the culture he creates, and his tactics and training. Many hours of study, research, dedication and plain hard work got him (and us) to the heights we did. I fail to see any 'luck' in that.

And I'd hazard a guess that if you said it to the man's face, he'd give you a slap:D

We will see, no doubt Poch gave it his all, but sometimes people are just the right fit at the right time in the right place. See Harry as another example, how many decades of management yet his stint here was way above anything else he ever did.

It will be very interesting to see how much he "overachieves" in his next role.

People love the narrative of Levy holding back his managers yet Jol, Harry, AVB, Poch (so far admittedly) have all performed above their career average here ..

We will see, no doubt Poch gave it his all, but sometimes people are just the right fit at the right time in the right place. See Harry as another example, how many decades of management yet his stint here was way above anything else he ever did.

People love the narrative of Levy holding back his managers yet Jol, Harry, AVB, Poch (so far admittedly) have all performed above their career average here ..
It's true he does hold them back. He has never taken that extra step neccesarly to finish the job.

I think only jol and poch over achieved. Harry had a good spell and rode it for all he was worth.
AVB is just a hazy blur. I really wanted him to be a success, but it in the end he turned out to be the early bit of poch and the last bit of poch without the good bit in between.
Levy has given our managers a platform, some have built it high on a skaky base, some low on a solid base, one even built it high on a solid base before throwing himself off it.

It's true he does hold them back. He has never taken that extra step neccesarly to finish the job.
Maybe that step was out of reach at those points
I’m halfway through the Clive Allen spurshow podcast and he is talking about when we tried to sign Tevez

How many remains have genuinely bought quality strikers? I mean 25 goal a season ones consistently
Their like rocking horse poo
Ageruo, Auba, Lacazette (in poor form but a good player), Costa, Dzeko just some recent PL names that spring to mind.

I'm not even talking 25 a season, that would be an unrealistic expectation as a backup to Kane, but just a good striker. We have always struggle to get one over the line. Harry's team suffered from having inadequete strikers, likewise AVB. Poch would have also likely suffered in the same manner if not for Kane breaking through at that time.

It's just an area more than any other we have always struggled with.

Yup and as you note the job has never been finished and the trophy cabinet sits empty. [emoji848]
We are obviously coming into the finishing the job phase now. Improved gradually year on year. Training and stadium infrastructure built and operational. Money making machine start to spew out. This is the finishing phase. The next 5 years will show if we've taken the correct path.

Football is ultimately about trophies (especially from the fans point of view) but if a chairman foregoes the opportunity (not that we have really, we were still contenders) to win trophies as in his eyes he has a plan to make us year on year serious contenders on ALL fronts for forever and a day....then fair play to him....and we are a long way along that road.

Maybe that step was out of reach at those points
I’m halfway through the Clive Allen spurshow podcast and he is talking about when we tried to sign Tevez
I'll give that a listen, would be intrigued to know what when on behind the scenes of transfers like Tevez, Cavani, Auba, Dembele and Suarez.

We are obviously coming into the finishing the job phase now. Improved gradually year on year. Training and stadium infrastructure built and operational. Money making machine start to spew out. This is the finishing phase. The next 5 years will show if we've taken the correct path.

Football is ultimately about trophies (especially from the fans point of view) but if a chairman foregoes the opportunity (not that we have really, we were still contenders) to win trophies as in his eyes he has a plan to make us year on year serious contenders on ALL fronts for forever and a day....then fair play to him....and we are a long way along that road.
I like that you're optimist and and a believer. I would counter and say we have already had those opportunities to win and didn't for various reasons. Some down to the chairman some the manager and everything in between. Sometimes you have to take the opportunity when they present themselves.

Hopefully more opportunities will occur and we will be able to finish this time.

I like that you're optimist and and a believer. I would counter and say we have already had those opportunities to win and didn't for various reasons. Some down to the chairman some the manager and everything in between. Sometimes you have to take the opportunity when they present themselves.

Hopefully more opportunities will occur and we will be able to finish this time.
Not an optimist but a realist.

I can see the long term plan, and it appears to be playing out up to this point.

My point is, Levy has got us to this point. The actions you suggest may have not been compatible/viable without jeopardising the long term plan. People will obviously counter that with the diatribe of 'Levys just a tight clam'.

And people have made a valid point in the past that when we reach semi finals and finals at what point does the Levy not backing people fade out. Weve had the resources to get to the semi, the final, is it not the failing of the team, the manager at that point?

I'll give that a listen, would be intrigued to know what when on behind the scenes of transfers like Tevez, Cavani, Auba, Dembele and Suarez.
I ah why finished yet
I’m up to the point on the Bordeaux chairman
Let’s just say General Levy is a saint

Ageruo, Auba, Lacazette (in poor form but a good player), Costa, Dzeko just some recent PL names that spring to mind.

I'm not even talking 25 a season, that would be an unrealistic expectation as a backup to Kane, but just a good striker. We have always struggle to get one over the line. Harry's team suffered from having inadequete strikers, likewise AVB. Poch would have also likely suffered in the same manner if not for Kane breaking through at that time.

It's just an area more than any other we have always struggled with.
I’m not talking back up to Kane
I mean starters for any side
Top top level strikers are so rare
Not sure if any of the ones your mention have ever hit 25 goals in a league

Kane coming though has saved us money we simply couldn’t have afforded
Conversely it’s made us over reliant on one player in that role but when that man is genuinely world class that’s not unusual

Not an optimist but a realist.

I can see the long term plan, and it appears to be playing out up to this point.

My point is, Levy has got us to this point. The actions you suggest may have not been compatible/viable without jeopardising the long term plan. People will obviously counter that with the diatribe of 'Levys just a tight clam'.

And people have made a valid point in the past that when we reach semi finals and finals at what point does the Levy not backing people fade out. Weve had the resources to get to the semi, the final, is it not the failing of the team, the manager at that point?

Not if we are overachieving in the first place in reaching those semis and finals which in my opinion has always been the case. It's always been one further too far for the teams that we've had because those teams have always been lacking a significant quality in an important areas. The Redknapp teams obviously lacked a striker, Poch's teams lacked creativity from midfield. Each time we lost there was a obvious reason we did. We were never the favourites, we were never the better team on paper. It has always been a case of "can we overachieve one more time".

Back