• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Been wearing the same ?ú5.00 Limit from our local market place for several years now. Much loved it is too. Had several new batteries and straps of course but it still keeps time and looks handsome if a little tarnished.

Frankly, expensive watches, jewelry etc suggest insecurity.

#-o:ross::ross:

Reminds me of trigger...

17 new heads and 14 new handles....

I bet its a 20k watch - I bet it was just a typo

?ú200K is not unrealistic for a watch - especially not for someone who likes the best in things. If you want a tourbillon from one of the traditional top 3 then that price is certainly not out of the question.

My cousin works for a major auction house and they had a men's watch on display for min reserve ?ú400k the last time I got a "general public" invite to one of their viewings. I'm guessing that's nowhere near their upper limit either.

My cousin works for a major auction house and they had a men's watch on display for min reserve ?ú400k the last time I got a "general public" invite to one of their viewings. I'm guessing that's nowhere near their upper limit either.

Ignoring those with historical value and those covered in gemstones (not only crass but not a true example of the value of the watch) some go for ?ú1M-?ú1.5M.

Frankly, I don't care what watch he wears. I do like to hear the first part of that quote however, "he is a very clever man, he knows the game through and through, a very shrewd negotiator.". That is the only part I care about.

And that is all that matters

Does levy get any blame?

Some on here love him, i never fell into that group.

I wonder if his haggling over transfer fees and not getting rid of squad players (dos santos) meaning we did not have the money to reinforce parts of the team that we need has had an impact on the team, feel the same with pav who should have been moved on sooner.

People keep saying that the stadium build will not impact on our transfer spending because thats what levy has said, but i just do not see how that will happen.

So redknapp gets most of the blame and the players to and they deserve it, but what about levy. At other clubs chairmen seem to be quicker to make the big decisions.

could have sacked Redknapp at the end of last season. The England situation was always gonna rear its ugly head at some point this season.

could have sacked Redknapp at the end of last season. The England situation was always gonna rear its ugly head at some point this season.

That's a bit harsh, I think all of us assumed Capello would take us to the Euros, get knocked out in the quarters, move on in July and then be replaced by Redknapp. I don't think Levy could have forseen the future and Terry, Capello and the FA all being such idiots.

I have said this all along.

Levy is the best chairman out there I think but he has his faults and one of them is his transfer negotiations. Yes we can all sit here throughout the summer and save a million here or a million there but ultimately we run the risk of not getting in the players on time or at all.

Some blame Harry for bringing in loan signings BUT I very much doubt Harry's first choice striker was saha on loan. I doubt Harrys first choice for CB was a 34 yr old Nelsen. People seem to think this was Harrys fault all along but I doubt it. His hands are tied behind his back they are tied by Levy - Levy does all the negotiations, Levy gets handed a piece of paper with the singings that Harry needs and leaves it up to Levy.

Now if Levy comes back at 11pm transfer deadline day and tells Harry - sorry I couldnt do the deals then Harry quickly turns to Saha and Nelsen.

The reason I wouldn’t go anywhere near blaming Levy is that he time and time proves that he wants the club to move forward, not only financially. Yes he makes mistakes but his ulterior motives cannot be questioned, even if he’s in it for the dough. As far as I can recall he has made one big mistake and that was the Jol/Ramos-saga. Not necessarily sacking Jol but the way it was handled. But even that was a bit out of his hands because of the Arnesen/Comolli-transition. All in all I think that it seems like he learns from his mistakes and that can only be good.

That's a bit harsh, I think all of us assumed Capello would take us to the Euros, get knocked out in the quarters, move on in July and then be replaced by Redknapp. I don't think Levy could have forseen the future and Terry, Capello and the FA all being such idiots.

problem is Redknapp would still have been talked about as Capello's successor during the second half of the season as the Euros drew closer, and the players would have known it was his last season as each game passes by

when players know a manager is leaving and the prospect gets closer, they lose focus.

Levy could have started the long term planning last summer and got a fresh man in

Some on here love him, i never fell into that group.

I wonder if his haggling over transfer fees and not getting rid of squad players (dos santos) meaning we did not have the money to reinforce parts of the team that we need has had an impact on the team, feel the same with pav who should have been moved on sooner.

People keep saying that the stadium build will not impact on our transfer spending because thats what levy has said, but i just do not see how that will happen.

So redknapp gets most of the blame and the players to and they deserve it, but what about levy. At other clubs chairmen seem to be quicker to make the big decisions.

Let's look at similarly sized clubs in England, shall we?

United and Liverpool are out of our league in terms of revenue and finances.

So are City and Chelsea, thanks to their sugar-daddy owners.

Arsenal have a new stadium and a world-renowned brand because of their enormous success under the most influential manager in their history.

So, similar-sized clubs in the PL would have to be Everton, Aston Villa, and Saudi Sportswashing Machine ,judging by stadium sizes, fanbases, revenue streams and relative history.

Everton are absolutely broke, with a manager who their fans are increasingly growing to dislike ensconced in his job for ten years. They're paupers, penniless, and in hock to the banks.

Aston Villa are currently flirting with relegation under a dismal manager, with falling attendances and a chairman who, despite pumping hundreds of millions into the club, is looking increasingly disinterested.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine...well, they're Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Got relegated, bounced back up, did some shrewd business and are now challenging. sort of like where we were two or three years ago. But they were relegated, let's not forget, and had massive financial problems before their cost-cutting bonanza, the consequences of which have seen them rename their historic ground the Sports Direct Arena for free because the couldn't find anyone else willing to sponsor them.

Finally, us. While our manager may be sub-par, we have what is considered to be one of the very best squads in the Premier League, a new training ground on the way, a new stadium in the works and the best merchandising and sponsorship deals in the league behind Liverpool, United and Arsenal, plus a healthy balance sheet that actually shows profits on and off, something very, very few clubs do. Levy sacked Ramos and appointed Redknapp in the first place, and backed him with splurges of money in the January and summer windows of 2009. Plus brought in Van Der Vaart in 2010, and moved quickly to preempt a lot of Europe's top clubs to secure Coulibaly and Sandro. Plus he managed to get 12 million quid for Peter Crouch, more than we paid for him. Among many other shrewd negotiations.

So yeah, we may occasionally miss out on deals due to Levy's prudence, but I'd rather he be prudent and the club be healthy, as opposed to in debt, like Saudi Sportswashing Machine, in the red, like Aston Villa, or penniless, like Everton.

Let's look at similarly sized clubs in England, shall we?

United and Liverpool are out of our league in terms of revenue and finances.

So are City and Chelsea, thanks to their sugar-daddy owners.

Arsenal have a new stadium and a world-renowned brand because of their enormous success under the most influential manager in their history.

So, similar-sized clubs in the PL would have to be Everton, Aston Villa, and Saudi Sportswashing Machine ,judging by stadium sizes, fanbases, revenue streams and relative history.

Everton are absolutely broke, with a manager who their fans are increasingly growing to dislike ensconced in his job for ten years. They're paupers, penniless, and in hock to the banks.

Aston Villa are currently flirting with relegation under a dismal manager, with falling attendances and a chairman who, despite pumping hundreds of millions into the club, is looking increasingly disinterested.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine...well, they're Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Got relegated, bounced back up, did some shrewd business and are now challenging. sort of like where we were two or three years ago. But they were relegated, let's not forget, and had massive financial problems before their cost-cutting bonanza, the consequences of which have seen them rename their historic ground the Sports Direct Arena for free because the couldn't find anyone else willing to sponsor them.

Finally, us. While our manager may be sub-par, we have what is considered to be one of the very best squads in the Premier League, a new training ground on the way, a new stadium in the works and the best merchandising and sponsorship deals in the league behind Liverpool, United and Arsenal, plus a healthy balance sheet that actually shows profits on and off, something very, very few clubs do. Levy sacked Ramos and appointed Redknapp in the first place, and backed him with splurges of money in the January and summer windows of 2009. Plus brought in Van Der Vaart in 2010, and moved quickly to preempt a lot of Europe's top clubs to secure Coulibaly and Sandro. Plus he managed to get 12 million quid for Peter Crouch, more than we paid for him. Among many other shrewd negotiations.

So yeah, we may occasionally miss out on deals due to Levy's prudence, but I'd rather he be prudent and the club be healthy, as opposed to in debt, like Saudi Sportswashing Machine, in the red, like Aston Villa, or penniless, like Everton.

I agree with some of that but i also thought we had debts of 50m and are struggling t finance the stadium, do not blame levy for not getting the stadium done as i would not rather go bust trying to build the stadium. I think he has done well on the stadium issue.

We used to spend on our money on up and coming players like berbatov and modric now we seem to be going for a level of player that does not want to come to us and then we end up with no one.

good post DubaiSpur, nicely summed up, but does the comparison not show thats its more a case of the other chairmen being dire than Levy being awesome?

I agree with some of that but i also thought we had debts of 50m and are struggling t finance the stadium, do not blame levy for not getting the stadium done as i would not rather go bust trying to build the stadium. I think he has done well on the stadium issue.

We used to spend on our money on up and coming players like berbatov and modric now we seem to be going for a level of player that does not want to come to us and then we end up with no one.

I think we need jimmy to definitively answer this but I'm sure our debts are to do with the land acquisitions around WHL. These are assets on the the clubs balance sheet now which offset the debt.

One thing for sure is this tinkle poor run of form is not helping to attract sponsors for the stadium, unless they are in the bottling business. I can just see the tagline now
"Bottling it for more years than I care to remember...."

Course he has last 3 windows been unwilling to buy giving him benefit of doubt to this whole theory of letting new manager have big war chest but if same this summer ill ask for his head

I think we need jimmy to definitively answer this but I'm sure our debts are to do with the land acquisitions around WHL. These are assets on the the clubs balance sheet now which offset the debt.

One thing for sure is this tinkle poor run of form is not helping to attract sponsors for the stadium, unless they are in the bottling business. I can just see the tagline now
"Bottling it for more years than I care to remember...."

get Holsten back on the shirt

Back