1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling thread

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by jamonserrano, 17 Mar 2012.

1. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

I feel for Wiggins, but he's been happy to add to the ambiguity over Froome in the past.

Mikey10 likes this.
  2. StephenH

StephenH Tom Huddlestone

Its why the rules for doping in all major sports need tightening urgently!

3. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

There are plenty of people in gyms all across the land who train, eat a certain way and take steroids just to look good on instagram/big whilst doing the door somewhere. They don't earn any money out of it, quite the opposite, it costs them money. And nobody outside of what they are doing gives a sh1t, no money/fame/glory awaits. And yet they do it anyway.

Then there are other people who go further, and get into bodybuilding...and will enter "natural" contests (where they are supposed to be drug free) and cheat to win a title that nobody outside of that little niche circle gives a toss about, again not making any money out of it.

It is in the mindset of humans to gain an edge, even for piddly stuff like the above. So it seems like common sense that in higher profile sports, where the fame/glory/money is much greater, a lot of the participants will do whatever it takes to win and lie their arses off about how they achieved it.

I say, let them do whatever they want, instead of giving them rules that they have to break in secret. They still have to put the work in riding the bike/lifting the weights/running the track etc etc.

Usain Bolt is a nice guy, charismatic etc. But if he ran the hundred meters no quicker than 10 seconds, nobody would give a sh1t about him. The people love him because he's a freak who destroyed world records and they always wanted to see him obliterate the competition. The viewing public have an insatiable need to watch the best ever, the biggest, fastest, toughest, undefeated, undisputed champions. And then they cry when it turns out the hero of the day got caught breaking an arbitrary rules that other people got away with breaking. Maybe he was always drug free, maybe he could cheat better than other sprinters. But I loved to watch him run anyway.

Just appreciate the best for what they do imo. Anyway, I will let you get back cycling now! :D

4. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Steffen Iversen

"Trial by innuendo?"

You realise you sound like one of the American weirdo that would defend Armstrong to the dead back in the day.

I followed cycling since the last 80s. It was obvious something was up at Sky, same as US Postal. You don't just turn track cyclists into climbers overnight in their late 20s.
    It would be like Tom Huddlestone turning into the fast player in the Premier League overnight.

Froome has been caught with a positive test.
    Wiggins undoubtedly broken the WADA code for TUEs but WADA seem to have no interest in going after Sky. The only reason this has come to light was his TUEs being leaked by Russian hackers.

Anyway someone within Sky will spill the beans within the next 2 years. The likes of Wiggins and Shane Sutton are already fighting. Wait until the money starts drying up. Or doctor Freeman will finally make a statement instead of losing his medical licence.

Mikey10 likes this.
  5. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Frederic Kanoute

Nail on head, 'whatever it takes to win'. It's the nature of the beast. They wouldn't be winners otherwise. It's why we lament cheats win and 'nice guy' tottenham don't. And why we're doing better with players like Dele!

6. Bullet

Bullet Christian Ziege

And 5 years on, JapaneseGardenLoverDanishCustardFreak will realise he's been wasting his time, watching druggies battle druggies in a monotonous duel day after day after day after day

7. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

Whatever drugs are in use in cycling are in use in football too.

8. jts1882

jts1882 Mitchell Thomas

Yes, it's hard to imagine that the global sport with the most money is immune to the drug problem. The need for endurance running, sprint running, strength in the jump, quick recover between games, etc. are all things that could benefit from drugs. The scandals involving Juventus and Dutch players were quickly got forgotten. There was also the court order to destroy blood samples for footballers and tennis players associated with Fuentes (only the cyclists were named).

Then you have the best player in the world having human growth hormone treatment, paid for by a football club in exchange for moving to their youth system. True, a small child might have medical grounds for such a treatment, but an altruistic treatment wouldn't require family relocation.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2018
    glasgowspur likes this.
  9. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Vedran Corluka

It's been forever and a day in cycling. It's funny, as the discredit drugs brings to other sport affects the interest and viewing figures, when in cycling we keep on watching.

10. milo

milo Vivian Woodward Staff Member

It would be impossible to complete the kind of schedule that the top road cyclists have without chemical assistance.

glasgowspur and galeforce like this.
  11. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Paul Walsh

Watched it today and though I love him as he is Britain's greatest ever sportsmen I think it might be time for Cav to retire before he seriously hurts himself. He seems to have lost the ability to road race anymore without crashing.

12. Danishfurniturelover

The big one tomorrow, Paris-Roubaix wish it was not on the same time as us against Chelski.

13. Danishfurniturelover

Peter Sagan is just so good to watch.

14. Danishfurniturelover

Gaviria looked awesome in California think he is going to beat everyone in the sprints in the tour this summer.

I cycled a bit more then normal this week but the garden has taken a bit more of my time. Love cycling.

Mikey10 likes this.
  15. jts1882

jts1882 Mitchell Thomas

Interesting day in the Giro d'Italia. Froome has decided it is make or break time. Pink jersey leader Yates is broken and at least 17 minutes behind. Froome is pulling away and close to the race lead.

16. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

17. Danishfurniturelover

froome attacked 80k out.

Accepted cycling wisdom is if you attack that far out on a mountain stage your on something.

Sky wanted to save cycling, instead they destroyed it.

Mikey10 likes this.
  18. P.D.

P.D. Gerry Armstrong

I read a lot of the time made up was on the descent? They are tested so much now I really doubt it, big amazing things do occasionally happen in sport.

19. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Les Ferdinand

Froome is brick in the decent. Certainly far from the fastest of downhill cyclists!

20. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

That’s not true, he used to be, but now he is one of the best, certainly of the GC riders.

He had nothing to lose and went for it, Yates blew up and Dumoulin fudged up by waiting, had he gone with Froome he’d have won the Giro.

This is the sort of thing Merckx and Coppi used to do regularly and be lauded for, sadly any modern attempt is assumed to be “a Landis”. I admit that had certain other riders pulled it off I’d be suspicious, I’m not suspicious about Froome or Sky though.

With his outstanding AAF he’s being tested every single day, he’s also carrying extra power meters to provide more data to the managing bodies. However he is achieving his perfromance, it’s within the letter of the law.

Gazza Dazzla likes this.