• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Curry Thread

K.D.D.D.D.Soc

Les Ferdinand
Can you recommend a good place for a curry? I love a curry and usually the atmoshere in the restaurant. Local to me in Bermondsey I like The Mohgul which is off the beaten track in Rotherhithe Street. Good restaurant near Waterloo Southbank Tandoori in The Cut. Use to go in the Curry shop by White Hart Lane before night matches shame it's gone

My house. Best curry there is.

brick, did I just extend an open invite there?!

The Southbank Tandoori is pretty good, but I think the Thames Tandoori is better. I used to like the place just up the road as well - Bangalore Express(?). But seems to be trading on the name recently as food quality was down a bit when I went just before Christmas.

More upmarket in London, I ate at Quilon once. Very very good, but not your regular Indian restaurant by any stretch. My favourite in London is The Cinnamon Kitchen near Liverpool Street. Top notch.

More locally to home - Kuti's in Southampton. Always a good bet. Rimjhim and Gandhi in Winchester - regular hanuts of mine until Miss funster turned up on the scene and my nights out were severely curtailed!

Butler's in Sheffield used to be an absolute favourite for their Baruchi when I was there regularly on work a few years ago. Sanam in Rusholme. Beat all others on the Curry Mile by a stretch, although as I recall, it was BYO since they didn't sell alcohol.

Last edited:
Love a good curry, got bout 4 or 5 down my way. There's one thats takeaway only and they're food is pretty good plus they're the cheapest. The rest are eat-in restaurants and all are a pretty decent standard.

I live in Haverhill (suffolk/essex border bout 15-20mins from Cambridge and Newmarket) and my favourite restaurants are;

New Maharaja, in the highstreet. Small inside but the food is great! Little pricey compared to the takeaway one tho (bout £7-£9 for a curry not inc. Rice)

The Woodlands, just on the outskirts of town opposite the golf club. Very nice food again, bout same price as Maharaja maybe a little less? Been a while.

The Purple Mango, out of town in a village called Sturmer. Used to be The Little Chef. Great food and usually find alot of the Indian community from town in there which is always a good sign... Then again have been advised the Woodlands by other Indian friends so probably personal preference.

Noticed a fairly new one opened up on the High Road at the North Circ. Interchange when i was down Tottenham... The guy was handing out flyers as they'd not long been open. Anyone know the place i mean and if so have they tried it? May pop in there for the Stoke game.?

Love a good curry, got bout 4 or 5 down my way. There's one thats takeaway only and they're food is pretty good plus they're the cheapest. The rest are eat-in restaurants and all are a pretty decent standard.

I live in Haverhill (suffolk/essex border bout 15-20mins from Cambridge and Newmarket) and my favourite restaurants are;

New Maharaja, in the highstreet. Small inside but the food is great! Little pricey compared to the takeaway one tho (bout ?ú7-?ú9 for a curry not inc. Rice)

The Woodlands, just on the outskirts of town opposite the golf club. Very nice food again, bout same price as Maharaja maybe a little less? Been a while.

The Purple Mango, out of town in a village called Sturmer. Used to be The Little Chef. Great food and usually find alot of the Indian community from town in there which is always a good sign... Then again have been advised the Woodlands by other Indian friends so probably personal preference.

Noticed a fairly new one opened up on the High Road at the North Circ. Interchange when i was down Tottenham... The guy was handing out flyers as they'd not long been open. Anyone know the place i mean and if so have they tried it? May pop in there for the Stoke game.?

My mum lives in Haverhill

ugly town, but nice area

does it qualify for East Anglia?

Cinnamon Kitchen is very nice - depending on budget and what you are looking for a guess.

Good hearty indian food with a very modern cuisine take on dishes. (and fantastic ****tails)

My mum lives in Haverhill

ugly town, but nice area

does it qualify for East Anglia?

Certainly does as it's suffolk... We get Anglia news (look east) so that's qualofication enough for me. I'm originally from essex but moved here at 17. Crappy town, bugger all of interest here, but only 30min max drive to a few big city's/towns and London aint too much of a trek either

Gutted, given up Curry and Beer, two of my favourite things. Still I see it as a plan, Give it up for 2 years, get in shape and then back on it for the rest of my life, instead of having a heartattack before 45.

The only curry house in bishop's castle just also happens to be the dog's as well. Great meat madras.

being indian, i don't tinkle about with curry's outside usually as they don't compare to home cooked food.

but, if you want a decent one without paying much near the City, check Tayaabs, not too bad. Anyway, when looking, always check for the main thing, the "type" of cuisine.

A lot of curry houses (brick lane for example) are Bangladeshi. I'm a proud panjabi, our food may clog your arteries and be as deep fried as a northern sandwich, but it's fudgein brilliant. Always check the (Panjabi) Label.

Certainly does as it's suffolk... We get Anglia news (look east) so that's qualofication enough for me. I'm originally from essex but moved here at 17. Crappy town, bugger all of interest here, but only 30min max drive to a few big city's/towns and London aint too much of a trek either
when I seperated from the ex I went to live with mum for a few months whilst I sorted my life out, and got a 6 week ban from a few months prior to the move (for doing 80 on a 50mph fen land road that was straight as a die, no-one on it except me and the copper at 6.30 on a sunday morning, nearest house 5 miles away!)
Had to use public transport out of Haverhill - have you ever taken the bus to Cambridge? I contemplated suicide every time I used it, I swear it would have been faster to walk. Haverhill to me was like going back in time about 50 years, curious town, with lots of ugly people in it.

and the wierdest dustbin policy - what is it 3- or 4 different coloured ones?

looks a bit better now with the tescos and cinema complex

ugly town though

when I seperated from the ex I went to live with mum for a few months whilst I sorted my life out, and got a 6 week ban from a few months prior to the move (for doing 80 on a 50mph fen land road that was straight as a die, no-one on it except me and the copper at 6.30 on a sunday morning, nearest house 5 miles away!)
Had to use public transport out of Haverhill - have you ever taken the bus to Cambridge? I contemplated suicide every time I used it, I swear it would have been faster to walk. Haverhill to me was like going back in time about 50 years, curious town, with lots of ugly people in it.

and the wierdest dustbin policy - what is it 3- or 4 different coloured ones?

looks a bit better now with the tescos and cinema complex

ugly town though

Yes it is and I've had to live here for about 11 years (thankfully 5 of those were spent away with the Army). Yeah our public transport here is absolutely shocking! There's no transport to Stansted Airport, yet it's about a mile closer than cambridge. The bus to Cambridge takes an hour or more when by car it takes 15mins. Not even sure if there's a bus to Newmarket (again closer than Cambridge) but there is a bus to Bury St. Edmunds... And thats bout it other than a few village links. It's abismal!! If you don't drive your confined to town almost... and there's nothing here. The Tesco opening was a godsend and Iceland took over Woolworths but other than that the high street is full of Takeaways and Hairdressers! Seems all the girls round here just go into hair and beauty (which is ironic coz, as u pointed out, it's not got the best crop of beauties here) so they all end up opening their own shops! Our sports shop was taken over by hairdressers, betting shop now hairdressers, model shop now hairdressers... It's insane!

BUT... They do have a couple good curry houses (ah see back on topic lol) which is thankfully a small mercy for what a dump town it is. I personally wanna move back to essex, possibly outskirts of Colchester, as there's so much more on your doorstep! But the missus aint keen on the idea and we currently on the Housing assossiation bidding for a bigger house since we had the new arrival as now 4 of us in a 2 bed house. Perfect oppertunity to move away but she aint interested... Even better is her daughter only has a couple years till she finishes primary school so the move wouldn't be too hard on her then. Can dream I spose... Bet they got great curry houses in Colchester too, been a while since I been there

EDIT: oh and we got 3 bins; Black for general, Blue for recyclables, Brown for compost...

The House of India in Hamilton is alright, but their jalfrezi is as weak as an American beer

I wish they would send a chef over to the UK on a fact finding tour.

They do a decent vindaloo though

amazing really, as they are all Indian sub continent people (unlike some of the Chinese restaurants here, which are about as Chinese as as a bratwurst) - just not sure which region though

probably a bit of a hike for most of you

Yes it is and I've had to live here for about 11 years (thankfully 5 of those were spent away with the Army). Yeah our public transport here is absolutely shocking! There's no transport to Stansted Airport, yet it's about a mile closer than cambridge. The bus to Cambridge takes an hour or more when by car it takes 15mins. Not even sure if there's a bus to Newmarket (again closer than Cambridge) but there is a bus to Bury St. Edmunds... And thats bout it other than a few village links. It's abismal!! If you don't drive your confined to town almost... and there's nothing here. The Tesco opening was a godsend and Iceland took over Woolworths but other than that the high street is full of Takeaways and Hairdressers! Seems all the girls round here just go into hair and beauty (which is ironic coz, as u pointed out, it's not got the best crop of beauties here) so they all end up opening their own shops! Our sports shop was taken over by hairdressers, betting shop now hairdressers, model shop now hairdressers... It's insane!

BUT... They do have a couple good curry houses (ah see back on topic lol) which is thankfully a small mercy for what a dump town it is. I personally wanna move back to essex, possibly outskirts of Colchester, as there's so much more on your doorstep! But the missus aint keen on the idea and we currently on the Housing assossiation bidding for a bigger house since we had the new arrival as now 4 of us in a 2 bed house. Perfect oppertunity to move away but she aint interested... Even better is her daughter only has a couple years till she finishes primary school so the move wouldn't be too hard on her then. Can dream I spose... Bet they got great curry houses in Colchester too, been a while since I been there

EDIT: oh and we got 3 bins; Black for general, Blue for recyclables, Brown for compost...

She hasn't recently opened a Hairdressers has she ;-)

Always enjoyed 'Last days of the Raj' in Saudi Sportswashing Machine (Technically Gosforth). Top curry house. Had loads of good ones when living in Huddersfield too. Had a great one below where i lived in Liverpool, Mayur (Duke Street), more of an upmarket curry house.

Back