• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Crosses

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
Seriously, what is the point? No one has actually scored from one since 1993. Stastically they are the least effective means of attacking (cut backs excepted).

We so need to incorporate a proper playmaker instead

Technically a set piece, not a cross!

Point still stands though, reckon we could have put 3 or 4 past them if we'd started with GLC, Ndombele or even Gil in the hole and tried some lock picking instead

Crosses can be fine, as part of a balanced strategy.

Just depends so much on several factors.

If we're relying on Reguilon and Emerson crossing into a crowded box without first getting in behind that's not going to be great.

If opponents are organised, in position, ready for a cross to come in I think your need absolute top quality crossing ability to make it high enough probability to be relied upon. We don't have that.

In the absence of players that fit his system better Conte should keep drilling his system though. We don't have a squad set up to fit any realistic system, so keep working on the plan while we bring in more suitable players and hopefully improve some of those already here.

Wouldn't matter, they are just too easy to defend. Even the 3rd worst defence in the league comfortably held out for 96 minutes against our 40 or so crosses. All the did was stay deep and compact and that's all you need to do
Your gonna be so disappointed under Conte then as it’s a massive massive part of his plan
It works too as shown by 5 titles
But he does need the right players of course

Reggie and Royal need to be put on serious crossing practice.

Could help, way down the line.

Crossing is a very specific hard to master technical skill. Being a top level crosser also relies on other skills. First touch, dribbling to create space, awareness and vision at the very least.

Rare to see players make big strides because of that. Much more common to have "if only he could cross" players that remain more or less ineffective.

A big lump to throw on if needed could help, but as you know I think that causes more problems than it's likely to be worth unless there's some really good player we could get for that role.

For me the answer is mainly a better attacking right sided wing back. Sessegnon available helps as at the very least he would allow us the fresh legs to run at people substitution approach. At best he surpasses Reguilon.

01:56

02:15
Leeds had acres of space in behind for their goal. I suppose we could completely rebuild our team around a tactic that we get to use 5 or 6 times a season when teams don't fear us.... Personally, I wouldn't consider that a beneficial use of our time.

The Wolves cross was the same result that about 99% of crosses end in - headed out by the defender. Unless I've misunderstood and your suggestion is that we have a tactic of the opponent not closing down balls at the edge of their box. In which case, I'm with you on that one.

There's a really good reason why, when assessing players, crosses as a proportion of successful passes are on an inverse scale:

Nabil-Fekir-Ligue-1-2017_2018-1.png

Almost all those goals in the videos are either crosses, or on the break. Virtually none are from open play against deep-lying, well-set, defences like we play against in at least 75% of our matches.

Almost all those goals in the videos are either crosses, or on the break. Virtually none are from open play against deep-lying, well-set, defences like we play against in at least 75% of our matches.
We have literally played against 2 teams who play like that in contes game so far (West Ham and Watford ) Southampton too after you hey went down to 10… so a third of our games so far

We have literally played against 2 teams who play like that in contes game so far (West Ham and Watford ) Southampton too after you hey went down to 10… so a third of our games so far

I meant all our matches except the ones against the other big 6 team. Maybe teams aren't retreating against us as much as the Poch era yet, because we are still a bit crap. But any decent team needs primarily lock pickers to breach the defences it faces, not Allardyce balls to an Andy Carroll.

Back