• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Thanks brain.
Indeed it is interesting to see the bizarre playing style of Cuti... I've never seen a centre back rush out to press and tackle so much. He just departs the defensive position and "goes for it".

Surely wise managers/attackers will know this and will deliberately suck him out of position and into midfield, for a runner to exploit the huge gap he leaves behind?
They will suck him out
However getting past him in the problem

Thanks brain.
Indeed it is interesting to see the bizarre playing style of Cuti... I've never seen a centre back rush out to press and tackle so much. He just departs the defensive position and "goes for it".

Surely wise managers/attackers will know this and will deliberately suck him out of position and into midfield, for a runner to exploit the huge gap he leaves behind?

The management would know this before signing and have a plan where someone drops in when he presses.

Thanks brain.

Exactly what you want with 3 CBs playing.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The management would know this before signing and have a plan where someone drops in when he presses.
Absolutely. The question is how quickly he and we can adapt.

Not too concerned really, but there might be a bedding in phase.

Him leaving his position to go into midfield to press is more of a tactical decision that I imagine can be altered if we want him to change. The sheer aggression seems like a big part of how he plays. Upsides and downsides, but if we can make that work as a team it could be great.
Exactly what you want with 3 CBs playing.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Not really the standard with a back three for the central CB to push up that far. 100% that's what Atalanta wanted though.

Not really the standard with a back three for the central CB to push up that far. 100% that's what Atalanta wanted though.

When playing 3 at the back, if your CBs stay back it tends to leave you too open in midfield, and the opposition has too much space and time in front of the defense. Happened to us when playing 3 at the back. It is essential that the CBs step out of defense and push forward!

When playing 3 at the back, if your CBs stay back it tends to leave you too open in midfield, and the opposition has too much space and time in front of the defense. Happened to us when playing 3 at the back. It is essential that the CBs step out of defense and push forward!
Different ways of playing a back three. What was it someone said about Coady as the central CB of three at Wolves? So deep light couldn't reach him.

But it's unusual for the central CB of those three to step up that far that often imo.

Different ways of playing a back three. What was it someone said about Coady as the central CB of three at Wolves? So deep light couldn't reach him.

But it's unusual for the central CB of those three to step up that far that often imo.
Depends who you ask them to play

Atalanta play 3 at the back and employ a full press, looking to ensure the opposition cannot make any forward passes to a centrally positioned player. It is a system that requires a huge amount of coaching and every single player to know their role in the press. In many ways Romero is playing a similar role for Atalanta to what Dier played for us under Pochettino when Toby and Jan were at centre back (though Atalanta's press is far less situational and far more ever present than Pochettino had Spurs pressing). Romero's role in Atalanta's system is to ensure the opposition cannot transition out of defence with a pass to a central player in space. I think in many ways it is worth judging Romero as more of a central midfielder when playing for Atalanta. For Argentina, who do not employ a full press, he plays as a more traditional centre back.

Atalanta play 3 at the back and employ a full press, looking to ensure the opposition cannot make any forward passes to a centrally positioned player. It is a system that requires a huge amount of coaching and every single player to know their role in the press. In many ways Romero is playing a similar role for Atalanta to what Dier played for us under Pochettino when Toby and Jan were at centre back (though Atalanta's press is far less situational and far more ever present than Pochettino had Spurs pressing). Romero's role in Atalanta's system is to ensure the opposition cannot transition out of defence with a pass to a central player in space. I think in many ways it is worth judging Romero as more of a central midfielder when playing for Atalanta. For Argentina, who do not employ a full press, he plays as a more traditional centre back.
Agreed on Atalanta, but like I said I think that's unusual for a back three.

In teams that press less you still want CBs stepping up, but it's more often the wide CBs that do that most of the time. That way at least you have the central CB covering the route to goal somewhat if someone gets in behind the CB pushing up.

As the video I linked highlighted Romero did similar things for Argentina, though perhaps not as far as often (I don't know, only based on that video based on just a few games it's difficult to say). Argentina and tactics tough, and Argentinian defending, not always the standard approach.

Not really trying to argue one way or the other. Just found the video an interesting analysis and take on Romero. Been very good playing that rather particular role and it seems to be not just tactics, but also a part of his style.

How we will adjust, how we will adjust, I don't know. He seems to have more in his locker than that, be able to play in different ways, but I assume we've bought him in part because of that aggressive style he likes and his chances of hitting the ground running will probably increase if our system allows him to play an aggressive style.

In teams that press less you still want CBs stepping up, but it's more often the wide CBs that do that most of the time. That way at least you have the central CB covering the route to goal somewhat if someone gets in behind the CB pushing up.

As the video I linked highlighted Romero did similar things for Argentina, though perhaps not as far as often (I don't know, only based on that video based on just a few games it's difficult to say). Argentina and tactics tough, and Argentinian defending, not always the standard approach.

Not really trying to argue one way or the other. Just found the video an interesting analysis and take on Romero. Been very good playing that rather particular role and it seems to be not just tactics, but also a part of his style.

How we will adjust, how we will adjust, I don't know. He seems to have more in his locker than that, be able to play in different ways, but I assume we've bought him in part because of that aggressive style he likes and his chances of hitting the ground running will probably increase if our system allows him to play an aggressive style.
The idea should be that the two wider centre backs move narrower when the the middle centre back presses up. In many ways having the central player do the pressing is easier to coach as the other two know that it will be Romero who will do the pressing. It is a very specific system that Atalanta play and it has been very successful, allowing them to compete at a level higher than the budget of the club for a few years.

The idea should be that the two wider centre backs move narrower when the the middle centre back presses up. In many ways having the central player do the pressing is easier to coach as the other two know that it will be Romero who will do the pressing. It is a very specific system that Atalanta play and it has been very successful, allowing them to compete at a level higher than the budget of the club for a few years.
Perhaps, it's just not something I've personally seen a lot of. Are there other teams than Atalanta doing that as far as you know?

Thanks brain.

A modern day Michael Dawson then.

Maybe he could cover midfield too. Who knows. I haven't seen him play. Hopefully he'll get a runout tomorrow.

Agreed. as per the video, he does it for both Atalanta and Argentina and usually gets carded and subbed off about 75 mins, so the whole team has to change system. Seems rather odd.

The other thing I thought about was Foyth; he is a centre back that likes to come out of defence, but for the opposite reasons i.e. dribbling out, rather than steaming out to tackle people... Argentina must have a strange system with those two involved!

I can see him being a Sanchez MKII and it wasn’t even against a premier league team who are going to look to exploit it.

Obviously early days and will take time to settle, hopefully won’t be as reckless as he was tonight.

Back