• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Embarrassing or trying to gain an advantage? Was Anderson pushing Nunez embarrassing or smart?

Every fraction of a percentage counts - especially in sports where the result is often decided by a single scoring event. If Sideshow Bob MkIII had reacted and taken a swing or made another racist comment, we'd have finished the match against 10 men.

If our players aren't doing everything they can to upset the opposition at every single opportunity then I'll be disappointed.

It was an unnecessary risk considering the circumstances, in my opinion. If VAR called it, we wouldn't have gotten the next corner leading to the goal. He didn't gain anything from doing it. If you're going to be cheeky with things like that, better take advantage of situations where what you do might be seen as an accident (like Cucurella stamping on Romero), in my opinion. But thankfully we got away with it this time. Romero should just be a bit smarter with how he does these things.

It was an unnecessary risk considering the circumstances, in my opinion. If VAR called it, we wouldn't have gotten the next corner leading to the goal. He didn't gain anything from doing it. If you're going to be cheeky with things like that, better take advantage of situations where what you do might be seen as an accident (like Cucurella stamping on Romero), in my opinion. But thankfully we got away with it this time. Romero should just be a bit smarter with how he does these things.

All I would say though is that over a course of a season so far he has done ok with it, maybe you could argue time will catch up but I also think there is now a fear factor around him, almost like its his house and no one gets in. Yeh Cucurella stuck one on him when he was in a tackle but you can see on numerous occasions players looking hesitant now when deciding to engage in his area, he is almost getting a level of freedom, helps with a player coming away with the ball as much as he does. So from that point its a benefit for people to fear our defence.

The ball was out of play - he could have got a yellow for it but there would have been no free kick.

'As hard as possible'? Please. Look at the footage and tell me where Cucurella's hands are. Under Romero's armpits. Doubtless to protect them from excess heat. It was not smart, and could've cost us, but this was far from the egregious thing it has been presented as...

Im not saying Romero pulled his hair as hard as possible. (Though I think he clearly pulled it hard). I was just using an example to suggest that pulling someone’s hair is not the same as pulling someone’s shirt, which I thought was a silly comparison.

Your confident claim that Cucurella was pinching his armpits is completely impossible to prove or disprove, but my assumption would be that he was holding him to help defend against the corner, not pinching him.

I’ll stop replying here - personally I just think pulling hair is in poor taste and embarassing, others are fine with it, no point discussing it any further.

The ball was out of play - he could have got a yellow for it but there would have been no free kick.

Quite certain the ball was in play.

It's not good. If we score from that corner it probably gets disallowed. If the ref sees it's a free kick, we don't get the next corner and we lose the game.

I don't think it's worth the risk and I think he overstepped the line from trying to gain an advantage to being unnecessary and most likely not useful for us.

That happens from time to time, not too bothered about it. Had we scored from that corner and it was disallowed I may have felt differently though.

We weren't good but do we blame the manager for that or the players' performances? Our front 3 were completely off it (except for Kane's last-minute winner). Son in his few moments of brilliance was nullified with tactical fouls, but otherwise made lots of poor decisions/mistakes. Dejan was at times an outlet on the right but didn't really do enough positive, but at least he worked hard to defend unlike Son.
I actually think our defenders did OK, except for the goals (in that Chelsea could have scored way more if it weren't for the defenders' interventions). First goal was more of a problem with marking players for a set-piece, nothing new there... second goal was far more inexcusable in terms of our defending. I actually was thinking Conte should have made some subs 5-10 minutes before that point but either way, we completely left Reece James wide open on our left. So for having basically 1/3 of the possession during the match, I think our defenders did alright considering. I agree with you that we were lucky and we were far off it, and by no means were our front-3 players the only culprits, but with our defense, we have a decent foundation to build on.

I think the big mistake was leaving son on, he can't defend, we all know that and asking him to is a mistake imho.

Didn't he pull him down as the cross entered the box?
All I'm saying is, I like him being a major brickhouse, but he should learn to be smarter with his antics (Lamela was a master). There's literally no point pulling Cucurella down like he did in that situation, he gained absolutely nothing for it.

Quite certain the ball was in play.

It's not good. If we score from that corner it probably gets disallowed. If the ref sees it's a free kick, we don't get the next corner and we lose the game.

I don't think it's worth the risk and I think he overstepped the line from trying to gain an advantage to being unnecessary and most likely not useful for us.

That happens from time to time, not too bothered about it. Had we scored from that corner and it was disallowed I may have felt differently though.
I thought the commentary team looked at the time and said it was before the corner was taken?

I think the mentality he has is massively important for the squad (no one on the planet is going to bully him) and he’s building a fear factor but only a matter of time until he gets sent off. I thought it was probably a red. There was violence there. Properly yanked his head. Not sure we’ve had a player as dirty as Romero since Thatcher. Love him all the same though.

I think the mentality he has is massively important for the squad (no one on the planet is going to bully him) and he’s building a fear factor but only a matter of time until he gets sent off. I thought it was probably a red. There was violence there. Properly yanked his head. Not sure we’ve had a player as dirty as Romero since Thatcher. Love him all the same though.

Did he actually concede a foul yesterday?

I think the big mistake was leaving son on, he can't defend, we all know that and asking him to is a mistake imho.
Agreed, think he should've come off at 50' since it was clear we had not neutralized their threats with the way things were going. Serious question though, does Richarlison track back runners and defend?

As for Chelsea overloading our right to then leave James wide open on our left for their 2nd goal, it seemed like we were playing with the mentality of having 5 in the back while playing a 4-2-4. I'm sure Davies was screaming about what he saw unfolding but we need Romero and Dier to organize our shape a bit better regardless of which formation we're using (and we should be able to make changes on the fly, that's what got us our first goal). To their credit, it's not easy when you have to defend for most of the match against a good side and overall, I think our defense did alright.

Didn't he pull him down as the cross entered the box?
All I'm saying is, I like him being a major brickhouse, but he should learn to be smarter with his antics (Lamela was a master). There's literally no point pulling Cucurella down like he did in that situation, he gained absolutely nothing for it.
Romero can seem tempestuous but I do think it's mostly calculated. I was a little nervous with Havertz trying to wind up Romero but Romero kept his cool in this moment. When Havertz got subbed off, it seemed like Romero could turn his full attention to Cucurella :D
I'm sure Conte will try to manage Romero's practice of the dark arts, encouraging him to be more sneaky and less blatant... but against pieces of brick like Chelsea, we somehow wound up with 0 cards, for the players anyway).

Agreed, think he should've come off at 50' since it was clear we had not neutralized their threats with the way things were going. Serious question though, does Richarlison track back runners and defend?

As for Chelsea overloading our right to then leave James wide open on our left for their 2nd goal, it seemed like we were playing with the mentality of having 5 in the back while playing a 4-2-4. I'm sure Davies was screaming about what he saw unfolding but we need Romero and Dier to organize our shape a bit better regardless of which formation we're using (and we should be able to make changes on the fly, that's what got us our first goal). To their credit, it's not easy when you have to defend for most of the match against a good side and overall, I think our defense did alright.

I doubt Richarlison does, but i would have swopped son for someone who would be a bit more disciplined in his defensive positions, or shuffled us around a little.

Romero can seem tempestuous but I do think it's mostly calculated. I was a little nervous with Havertz trying to wind up Romero but Romero kept his cool in this moment. When Havertz got subbed off, it seemed like Romero could turn his full attention to Cucurella :D
I'm sure Conte will try to manage Romero's practice of the dark arts, encouraging him to be more sneaky and less blatant... but against pieces of brick like Chelsea, we somehow wound up with 0 cards, for the players anyway).

Havertz was on a yellow iirc, Romero wasn't. It was a perfect time for a wind up and may have contributed to them taking Havertz off.

Havertz was on a yellow iirc, Romero wasn't. It was a perfect time for a wind up and may have contributed to them taking Havertz off.
That's how I interpreted it. Romero really plays on the edge but as I said, it is calculated and none of our players got carded. Richarlison must be so happy to be on the same team as Romero now.

That's how I interpreted it. Romero really plays on the edge but as I said, it is calculated and none of our players got carded. Richarlison must be so happy to be on the same team as Romero now.
I hadn't realised that. For such a fast and bad tempered match that's remarkable.

I hadn't realised that. For such a fast and bad tempered match that's remarkable.
It was just Conte that got a card, and yeah we did get a bit lucky there which is surprising to me.
Out for 3-4 weeks, from Ally Gold.

F
F
S
That sucks... Davinson did a great job coming into the team at the end of last season so hopefully he continues in that vein.

Back