• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

What we want to avoid is the fine line between developing a reputation that makes opponents wary of him and becoming a caricature that ends up getting booked or sent off for acts that don't influence the game. Got away with the hair pull but it added notihng to the situation at the time so not a great risk / reward decision for me. Sure he will iron it out based on the amount of coverage this will get.
If they had been given a freekick we would not have had the corner that we scored from.

I dont like the screaming in someone face but I'm all for letting the other team know if they want to rough us up there will be some coming back. Far too long we've allowed teams to get physical with us.

I love Romero but I don’t like some of the unnecessary things he does. Yes I know his aggression will mean he gets the odd red card. But watch when Kane scores from the corner - he goes right up to Reece James face, just as he did when Maguire scored that own goal. That sort of nonsense isn’t needed….

It's part of his personality.
And if you change that you change the player.
Look at Dele Alli.

Apart from the fact that Dele Alli seems happy off the pitch now. He's chill, earning 250k a week and in a relationship with one of the most beautiful woman on the planet.

Hair pull no worse than a shirt pull imo, not like he elbowed or punched him in the face - some of the pearl clutching over that incident has been laughable.

Anyone have the video or a link to one of the incodent in the first half with the alleged stamp?

Hair pull no worse than a shirt pull? Come on... So if you could choose right now between someone unexpectedly pulling your shirt as hard as possible, or someone unexpectedly pulling your hair as hard as possible, you'd have no preference?

I'm hearing a lot of how yesterday shows how far we've come. To be honest, delighted as I am to rob those clams, I'm not having it. We were a very distant second best and rarely controlled the play. We relied on Richarlison just causing chaos to get any foothold in the game.

We've had results like this in the past, with much better performances, and still reverted to type. I'm hopeful it'll be different under Conte longer term but yesterday did nothing to prove it. It was a very lucky point. Nothing more. We move on and improve.
We weren't good but do we blame the manager for that or the players' performances? Our front 3 were completely off it (except for Kane's last-minute winner). Son in his few moments of brilliance was nullified with tactical fouls, but otherwise made lots of poor decisions/mistakes. Dejan was at times an outlet on the right but didn't really do enough positive, but at least he worked hard to defend unlike Son.
I actually think our defenders did OK, except for the goals (in that Chelsea could have scored way more if it weren't for the defenders' interventions). First goal was more of a problem with marking players for a set-piece, nothing new there... second goal was far more inexcusable in terms of our defending. I actually was thinking Conte should have made some subs 5-10 minutes before that point but either way, we completely left Reece James wide open on our left. So for having basically 1/3 of the possession during the match, I think our defenders did alright considering. I agree with you that we were lucky and we were far off it, and by no means were our front-3 players the only culprits, but with our defense, we have a decent foundation to build on.

Hair pull no worse than a shirt pull? Come on... So if you could choose right now between someone unexpectedly pulling your shirt as hard as possible, or someone unexpectedly pulling your hair as hard as possible, you'd have no preference?

It was a little tug ffs - free kick and a yellow was all it warranted

It was a little tug ffs - free kick and a yellow was all it warranted

IMO it was definitely more than ‘a little tug’, and I think replays clearly show that, but guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Either way, I think the ‘pearl clutching’ is because pulling hair is seen by our society as a ‘low’ thing to do. Like a less extreme version of Suarez’ biting, which I’m sure did little to no damage either. It’s all subjective though - some people thought the biting wasn’t that bad, some think the hair pulling isn’t that bad, I think they’re both embarassing behaviour from a grown man.

Of course, pulling hair is nonsense. But there is clearly a "lets fight til the death" culture thats growing, replacing the standard "roll over the minute it gets tough" that's held us back for the last 10-15 years.
I don't think you can say we rolled over in the Poch years. Hat what the original battle at the bridge was. Us not willing to get bullied. We stood our ground and hit back just as hard as we got it.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Of course, pulling hair is nonsense. But there is clearly a "lets fight til the death" culture thats growing, replacing the standard "roll over the minute it gets tough" that's held us back for the last 10-15 years.

The " let's fight to the death" was here during Poch's time, certainly in games vs Chelsea. We regressed to being meek/cowardly vs Chelsea under Jose (and embarrassingly when they had Lampard) and are only now starting to go back to the Poch mentality in our games vs them. Sometimes it has been because they had better players - and i do understand that you can't be naive and gung-ho if/when the opposition has better players - but a meek/inferiority complex attitude crept in big time when Jose turned up...

Last edited:
I don't suppose he did, but if Romero knew about (the absense of) this rule, we're talking next level brickhousery, and although I think it's stupid and he's going to get a lot of silly red cards ... I love that we have someone like him in our team. He'll ruffle a few feathers.

I don't suppose he did, but if Romero knew about (the absense of) this rule, we're talking next level brickhousery, and although I think it's stupid and he's going to get a lot of silly red cards ... I love that we have someone like him in our team. He'll ruffle a few feathers.

absence of what rule?

I don't think you can say we rolled over in the Poch years. Hat what the original battle at the bridge was. Us not willing to get bullied. We stood our ground and hit back just as hard as we got it.

We gave up a 2 goal lead and subsequently ended our title challenge in that same match though. We definitely went down with a fight, but we shouldn't have gone down at all.

There was absolutely improvement in our mental strength under Poch, but I'm more excited by this team and Conte.

'As hard as possible'? Please. Look at the footage and tell me where Cucurella's hands are. Under Romero's armpits. Doubtless to protect them from excess heat. It was not smart, and could've cost us, but this was far from the egregious thing it has been presented as...

IMO it was definitely more than ‘a little tug’, and I think replays clearly show that, but guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Either way, I think the ‘pearl clutching’ is because pulling hair is seen by our society as a ‘low’ thing to do. Like a less extreme version of Suarez’ biting, which I’m sure did little to no damage either. It’s all subjective though - some people thought the biting wasn’t that bad, some think the hair pulling isn’t that bad, I think they’re both embarassing behaviour from a grown man.
Embarrassing or trying to gain an advantage? Was Anderson pushing Nunez embarrassing or smart?

Every fraction of a percentage counts - especially in sports where the result is often decided by a single scoring event. If Sideshow Bob MkIII had reacted and taken a swing or made another racist comment, we'd have finished the match against 10 men.

If our players aren't doing everything they can to upset the opposition at every single opportunity then I'll be disappointed.

Back