• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

For me, he's just too far over the line. Sure, I loved some of Lamela's antics, Dele too when he came into the side. However, the screaming into faces thing, never mind the hair-pulling, is just a bit too snide.

Still, perhaps too far over is better than too far on the "nice" side of the line. It's clearly part of his game and he is an absolute quality defender.

As long as he doesn't start getting a reputation with the refs (well, more than he already has) and starts losing all benefit of the doubt.

I guess I just want all my central defenders to be like Ledley.

Being the nicest team in the league won us fudge all. I'm completely on board with the transition to being out and out clams.

Really like his aggression and his nasty streak. Really don't want him to get red cards, cost us points.

He's still only 24. He already does a very good job of walking that line, he'll continue to improve I think.

Great performance against Chelsea.

For years against those tossers we have had cynical fouls and brickhousery. At the “battle of the Bridge” they were kicking us all over the park, we retaliated and have since been blamed for losing our heads. In reality is was as much their doing as ours.

yesterday we didn’t put up with is. Havertz didn’t like it up him and was throwing his weight around. When he got it back he didn’t like it. James’ rugby tackle on Sonny was far worse than any of the “professional” fouls that PEH and ROdders made in the middle of the pitch. I thought Curricala (however you spell it) was their best player but again, he stamped on Cuti’s knee in the first half - yes, he was lucky to get away with the hair pull, but actually he had something coming.

The thing I loved about Lamela was that he was a clam, but he was OUR clam. Now we have Cuti and he just wont be bullied. i wouldn’t mind betting Richarlison will be the same, and we all know RB is a bit of a nasty bastard too.

So, I say its great we have this bite in the spine of our team. Teams won’t get an easy ride against us, if they try and throw their weight around, they will get it back in spades.

Finally, It starts from the top. Conte is an acid bastard too, he was a nasty little fudger as a player and I bet he loves the fact we have this bite about us too. I loved the conflict with Touchel and it reminded me of Jol when he went toe to toe with Whinger.

personally I don’t care if Cuti is a bit OTT at times, I would rather that than him being a shrinking violet!

Being the nicest team in the league won us fudge all. I'm completely on board with the transition to being out and out clams.

Not sure our lack of trophies is because we didn’t pull enough hair.

Keep the aggression Romero, leave out the toddler behaviour.

that was hugely intentional, you can see him have a look first, absolutely middled Romero’s thigh, could easily have stepped either side

snide little clam, I hope Romero ripped some of his hair out
Agree with every word but the last sentence. That would be doing him a favour.

Not sure our lack of trophies is because we didn’t pull enough hair.

Keep the aggression Romero, leave out the toddler behaviour.

Of course, pulling hair is nonsense. But there is clearly a "lets fight til the death" culture thats growing, replacing the standard "roll over the minute it gets tough" that's held us back for the last 10-15 years.

Of course, pulling hair is nonsense. But there is clearly a "lets fight til the death" culture thats growing, replacing the standard "roll over the minute it gets tough" that's held us back for the last 10-15 years.
The point he is making is that aggression on the pitch, in the tackle etc is fine. But pulling a guys hair, screaming in opposition players faces when we score does not do anything to help us whatsoever. Referees will becoming more and more aware of his antics, and will become swayed when he mistimes a tackle etc and he is going to end up picking up more red cards as his reputation grows. That is not going to help us, we need his quality on the pitch…..

The point he is making is that aggression on the pitch, in the tackle etc is fine. But pulling a guys hair, screaming in opposition players faces when we score does not do anything to help us whatsoever. Referees will becoming more and more aware of his antics, and will become swayed when he mistimes a tackle etc and he is going to end up picking up more red cards as his reputation grows. That is not going to help us, we need his quality on the pitch…..

Did you miss the first sentence of my post?

I'm hearing a lot of how yesterday shows how far we've come. To be honest, delighted as I am to rob those clams, I'm not having it. We were a very distant second best and rarely controlled the play. We relied on Richarlison just causing chaos to get any foothold in the game.

We've had results like this in the past, with much better performances, and still reverted to type. I'm hopeful it'll be different under Conte longer term but yesterday did nothing to prove it. It was a very lucky point. Nothing more. We move on and improve.

Decision making will never be perfect. Getting aggression right, playing with passion, intensity, determination and commitment without overstepping the line from time to time is extremely difficult.

Some of the best players in the game have overstepped that line repeatedly. The alternative, never making that "too aggressive" move pretty much means dialing down aggression a lot. It's not a winning strategy for the majority of players, it's not the winning strategy for Romero.

He needs to develop, keep a cooler head from time to time. But he's already really good at that. Very few players can play like him without going wrong way more often than him.

I'm hearing a lot of how yesterday shows how far we've come. To be honest, delighted as I am to rob those clams, I'm not having it. We were a very distant second best and rarely controlled the play. We relied on Richarlison just causing chaos to get any foothold in the game.

We've had results like this in the past, with much better performances, and still reverted to type. I'm hopeful it'll be different under Conte longer term but yesterday did nothing to prove it. It was a very lucky point. Nothing more. We move on and improve.

I agree to an extent. But not many (maybe not any) managers have Tunchel’s Tactical ability to see the weaknesses in an opposition and drill his team to take advantage effectively, And then adapt to the other teams adaptations quickly and effectively.

Even if I’m underestimating other managers, let’s use the tactically very astute Potter as an example and assume he is as good as Tunchel tactically, he doesn’t have the players to implement his plans to the extent that Tunchel does.

so I’m not overly concerned about being out played by Chelsea. It will happen with Tunchel there.

Tunchel’s problem I believe is his relationship with players and his ability to to motivate them across a season. He is the opposite of Redknapp.

What we want to avoid is the fine line between developing a reputation that makes opponents wary of him and becoming a caricature that ends up getting booked or sent off for acts that don't influence the game. Got away with the hair pull but it added nothing to the situation at the time so not a great risk / reward decision for me. Sure he will iron it out based on the amount of coverage this will get.

Last edited:
Tunchel’s problem I believe is his relationship with players and his ability to to motivate them across a season. He is the opposite of Redknapp.

And his arrogance to think he can get through season without a striker

Hair pull no worse than a shirt pull imo, not like he elbowed or punched him in the face - some of the pearl clutching over that incident has been laughable.

Anyone have the video or a link to one of the incodent in the first half with the alleged stamp?

Back