• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

It’s been said many times but what a signing. It’s possibly one of those fate conspiring things with Conte coming in as he does seem to love playing in that back three (I appreciate his injury meant there was very little time to see him in a CB pairing).

One thing that comes to mind though, not saying it’s exactly the same people expressing these opinions, but is there a bit of hypocrisy with us moaning about Villa’s approach whilst seeing Cuti smashing people three feet in the air? Young’s tackle was different as it was just pure cowardice/ being a petulant clam true to form.

It’s been said many times but what a signing. It’s possibly one of those fate conspiring things with Conte coming in as he does seem to love playing in that back three (I appreciate his injury meant there was very little time to see him in a CB pairing).

One thing that comes to mind though, not saying it’s exactly the same people expressing these opinions, but is there a bit of hypocrisy with us moaning about Villa’s approach whilst seeing Cuti smashing people three feet in the air? Young’s tackle was different as it was just pure cowardice/ being a petulant clam true to form.
It's simple: just don't be Brazilian.

On Conte

“Since he’s arrived, the morale in the squad and certainly among the fans has changed totally around,” says Romero. “The morale and the spirit in the dressing room is totally improved.

“It’s tough for a manager coming in almost halfway through the season. So to turn things around 100 per cent in the way he would like is never easy. But I think he’s doing well, we’ve consolidated as a squad and as a team, and he’s got us playing pretty much how he wants us to. Tactically we’ve improved where we are on the field and that sort of thing. I think there are still things that need to be just tweaked, perfected.”

On playing RCB

“I played in the middle of the three in Serie A, and so I found it tough at first because I was slightly out of position compared to what I was used to but the great thing about Conte is I feel I’ve improved tactically,” Romero says of his tweaked role. “My positional awareness has improved as well. He explains the detail and what he wants in a really perfect way.

“I hope my performances are the same in either role. I feel comfortable doing either. Even if he puts me as goalkeeper, as long as I’m playing that’s the main thing.”

On Dier

Dier is another who has made a big impression on Romero: “He was instrumental when I joined. We’ve always got on well on and off the field. The fact he speaks Spanish really helps with our on-pitch understanding as well. He was instrumental also in bringing me into the group.

“From the day I arrived, he was really good at introducing me to everyone and making me feel at home as well so I was grateful for that. But first and foremost, what a great season he’s having — he brings a lot to the team, loads as a player.

“I’m guessing it is his objective to get back into the international set-up. We all feel he’s doing well and it can’t be long with the form that he’s showing before he’s back in the England squad.”

On the January signings

Romero knew plenty about Kane and Son and their quality before joining Tottenham, but he has also been struck by how much of a difference Spurs’ January signings have made: “The person who’s really surprised me is Kulusevski because I think he’s really added something either we didn’t have or didn’t see so often. He’s a really bright and intelligent player who’s become a vital cog in our system.

“Bentancur I was aware of from Italy, I always thought he was the kind of player who could cut it in the Premier League. What’s surprised me is the level at which he’s doing really, really well. How important he’s become for us so quickly.

“The performances of the team in general speak for each player but in particular speak for him and how well he has done for us.”

On being a dad

At first the feeling was almost fear, trepidation because it’s all new being a dad,” he says. “But now I’m getting used to it, being a good dad I think.

“It’s such a happy occasion. We’re together as a team, me and my wife. She’s fantastic, just a great, great person. Credit (to) her because all the time I spend here at the training ground, travelling the night before we go to games. I don’t spend as much time as I’d like to with my baby.

“But as soon as training’s finished or I get home from a game it’s just spending time with that little lad, along with his mum. That’s my life at the moment, that’s our life. We’re always together.”

Love it.

I legit don’t understand, Sandro’s hard tackling was class but never seemed to be out to hurt people, but I may have missed the point.
I rather think you have. Romero's Argentinian, and therefore hates Brazilians. Richarlison is Brazilian, so Romero took him down.

I mean, Romero probably doesn't look at the teamsheet and rank players 1 to 11 based on who's least Brazilian, but the mauling of one of them makes for good Instagramming.

I rather think you have. Romero's Argentinian, and therefore hates Brazilians. Richarlison is Brazilian, so Romero took him down.

I mean, Romero probably doesn't look at the teamsheet and rank players 1 to 11 based on who's least Brazilian, but the mauling of one of them makes for good Instagramming.

So we can go out to hurt opposition depending on nationality?

Richarlison is a clam, but an underachieving clam in an underperforming team, does that justify going out to maul someone like Dele?

Romero plays like he plays. I think trying to justify it on where people are born is more offensive than the idea he just takes the game as it is, feel free to challenge that logic though pal.

I legit don’t understand, Sandro’s hard tackling was class but never seemed to be out to hurt people, but I may have missed the point.
It was meant to be a joke but I actually do think it's at least partially based in truth. I knew after Doherty got tackled, Romero would try to take down Coutinho... he was waiting for the right moment. Eventually, he made a strong tackle on him that was well-timed, then a bit later he tried another but he was a bit late and conceded a foul. After that, it seemed like he knew to not try to force it. Again, it's not me or FatBloke telling Romero to do this, he has made his own mind up. Thing is, the guy does tend to win the ball back legally.

So to answer your original point seriously, I don't know if Villa were given instructions to challenge hard, but it seemed that they wanted to play that way after Matty Cash's tackle (and his subsequent plea to his teammates to do the same). I wouldn't be surprised if Gerrard encouraged that as we didn't seem to want the ball anymore for almost the rest of the first half.
As for Romero, he definitely relishes a good tackle but I highly doubt our whole team is given any sort of instruction to go in hard on the opposition. Bentancur is another who isn't afraid to go to ground to win the ball back and it seems like he's pretty decent at it too. They both seem to have brains and arguably more importantly, are extremely calm and don't seem unnerved by pressure. It's not like Romero is Charlie Adam; Cuti actually has skill to pull off crunching yet fully-legal challenges.

Quite often when we attack one or even both of our wide centre backs take up what is essentially a (now) more traditional full back role. Overlapping at times, staying back at times, joining in with the attack when space opens up, combining with the wing back. One of the central midfielders dropping back, or at least safety first in their positioning.

It's a role both Romero and Davies are very well suited to. Those qualities should be high up on our list of "must have" attributes when we sign another CB.
Indeed. Our RCB and LCB really should be players who have played at both centre back and full back.... There are quite a few out there around Europe who have played both.

The most central of the three probably also benefits from having played as a holding midfield player as well as a centre back (again quite a few players like that out there and that is one of the reasons that I would love to see us sign Kalvin Phillips from Leeds, as he would be a first choice, central midfielder for us but also offer excellent cover at centre back.

Indeed. Our RCB and LCB really should be players who have played at both centre back and full back.... There are quite a few out there. The most central of the three probably also benefits from having played as a holding midfield player as well as a centre back (again quite a few players like that out there and that is one of the reasons that I would love to see us sign Kalvin Phillips from Leeds, as he would be a first choice, central midfielder for us but also offer excellent cover at centre back.
I fully agree although Romero has never (as far as I’m aware) played full back.
Philips would be a great signing for anyone but i don’t see him leaving now they are staying up

I think we could get him if we made him our number 1 target and really put on the charm offensive.
Maybe
He seems obsessed with being a Leeds man and is quite humble with it
He would be a great addition. You could see that way back when he was in the championship (you and I discussed it then), but they got promoted :mad:

Can't see us paying what leeds would want for a player that will be 26 this year.
I think we will want to fix other areas first
But who knows what we will and wont pay now
What we do know is shifting the on loan players is key for a lot of reasons. Luckily at least two of them have added to their perceived value

Can't see us paying what leeds would want for a player that will be 26 this year.
He is 26 already.

If we want to be serious about challenging for the big trophies then we need to add 3 players that go straight into the first team. That sort of quality of player is likely to be in the 25-30 year old bracket. I agree that Leeds' likely valuation of him would perhaps be a stumbling block but he only has 2 years left on his contract this summer and if we went in with a big number, early on and turned his head enough to say he wasn't going to sit down to talk about a new deal there then we might have a chance at getting him.

He is 26 already.

If we want to be serious about challenging for the big trophies then we need to add 3 players that go straight into the first team. That sort of quality of player is likely to be in the 25-30 year old bracket. I agree that Leeds' likely valuation of him would perhaps be a stumbling block but he only has 2 years left on his contract this summer and if we went in with a big number, early on and turned his head enough to say he wasn't going to sit down to talk about a new deal there then we might have a chance at getting him.

You are correct he's 26. Leeds would be wanting over £50m though. With no resale value i can't see it. Although anythings possible.

Bissouma in the last year might be half the price. Gallagher?

If we get him though i'd be happy.

You are correct he's 26. Leeds would be wanting over £50m though. With no resale value i can't see it. Although anythings possible.

Bissouma in the last year might be half the price. Gallagher?

If we get him though i'd be happy.

The thing with Phillips is he is a fully-matured version of exactly what we need (an upgrade on PEH, who BTW has been a warrior)...I think a lot will depend on Skipp and what the story is health-wise. IF we are looking at key areas, I'd say Bastoni would be a splash to make, and we need two wing-backs of quality (this on the proviso that we will sell Reggie as there's money out there for him, and Royal as he is a good FB for a team which regularly plays a 4). I'd love to see us get Bastoni and Martinez for example, plus two-wing backs. That would make Phillips a luxury upgrade but he would be excellent. IF the investment rumors are true, and if we stay 4th, I could see us being in a position to sign them. I will say, however, at this point, Paratici has my trust. So whatever he and Antonio want!

The thing with Phillips is he is a fully-matured version of exactly what we need (an upgrade on PEH, who BTW has been a warrior)...I think a lot will depend on Skipp and what the story is health-wise. IF we are looking at key areas, I'd say Bastoni would be a splash to make, and we need two wing-backs of quality (this on the proviso that we will sell Reggie as there's money out there for him, and Royal as he is a good FB for a team which regularly plays a 4). I'd love to see us get Bastoni and Martinez for example, plus two-wing backs. That would make Phillips a luxury upgrade but he would be excellent. IF the investment rumors are true, and if we stay 4th, I could see us being in a position to sign them. I will say, however, at this point, Paratici has my trust. So whatever he and Antonio want!

If it's true hakimi desperately wants out of psg and neymar and messi don't like him, him and bastoni would be amazing. Talking a lot of money, before getting to cm. But yes would have phillips.

Back