• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

If I had my way Romero(first 11) and Dier(bench) would be the only CBs remaining at the club. For example at LCB I would want Bastoni as first 11 and Romagnoli on the bench. Romagnoli is free and Bastoni around £50-55 mil. We should get that from Sanchez, Tanganga and Davies sales. Overhauling the defense(CB and RWB) and a solid reserve for Kane should be our target. That and the usual Dybala offer of course.

Just to be clear how many new top quality signings in total do you think we need come the summer?

Davies continues to perform really well. Would not want us to sell him.

His aggression will make him look rash and at times his decision making in those situations probably needs to be tempered just a bit. I think that will come.

He's aggressive with good reason, so good at winning the ball, physically obviously strong, but also good technique and control when tackling/challenging.

So confident too, composed, in control, seems to spread to those around him. And yes, that's in the first game back from injury. No settling back in, no nerves or adjustment, just right in with a solid, line leading performance.

Love his passing. Not quite the Alderweireld quarter back style passing, but crisp, accurate, purposeful. Not just a completed pass for the sake of it, but looking to play the most useful pass possible and making it happen most of the time.

I think this is also a case of adjusting his agression to the pace of the PL. The timing of tackles/interceptions is crucial for his playing style, and in a new league that could be challenging.

Just to be clear how many new top quality signings in total do you think we need come the summer?

Fans seem to think we can change a team in two windows

now Saudi Sportswashing Machine will do that but the starting level was so low

I think there is a real culture now of people just wanting clubs to buy their way out of any problems… coaching is a thing of the pst it seems :mad::(

În the summer at least 2 top CBs, one on the left and one in centre. Offload Rodon and Tanganga. Furthermore, even though they improved, Davies and Sanchez are error prone, so if an opportunity arises to swap them with better FREE players like Romagnoli and Christensen or whomever, I would take it. I won't be to disappointed if Davies and Sanchez stay, if we do get those top LCB and CCB. We also need a top RWB(offload Doherty) and a reserve striker(free or on loan). I'd expect us to at least make bids for Kessie and Dybala as they are free.

Last edited:

I think there is a real culture now of people just wanting clubs to buy their way out of any problems… coaching is a thing of the pst it seems :mad::(
I would like as many good signings as possible, considering our poor market endeavours în the last few years. Conte touched on this too. We have options, if we get 3 or 4 quality players în, I am happy. Defense has to be a priority.

I see no reason to think Romero won't be equally good as the RCB.

For me I think it's Sanchez that loses out if everyone's fit for a period long enough to settle on 3 first choice players at the back. Mostly down to quality on the ball.
I only made the comment because I recall the game before his injury, Romero didn't look particularly comfortable on the right hand side. It may well have just been a singular poor performance but it was definitely his worst game for us since he arrived.

Coaching is obviously important, but it can only do so much. No coach will ever make Doherty as effective as Cafu. So at some point the bell curve between coaching improvements and sheer player quality start to divert. We saw with Poch that a coach getting the maximum out of his players can still lose out teams with superior quality when the key moments come to play.

I would like as many good signings as possible, considering our poor market endeavours în the last few years. Conte touched on this too. We have options, if we get 3 or 4 quality players în, I am happy. Defense has to be a priority.
The defence since conte has joined has been one of the very best in the league
To defend you need organisation, structure and commitment. The second best defence in this league is at wolves yet now of their defence is getting in our side

În the summer at least 2 top CBs, one on the left and one in centre. Offload Rodon and Tanganga. Furthermore, even though they improved, Davies and Sanchez are error prone, so if an opportunity arises to swap them with better FREE players like Romagnoli and Christensen or whomever, I would take it. I won't be to disappointed if Davies and Sanchez stay, if we do get those top LCB and CCB. We also need a top RWB(offload Doherty) and a reserve striker(free or on loan). I'd expect us to at least make bids for Kessie and Dybala as they are free.

So three new starters? Two centre backs and a RWB? That's perhaps doable, but you'll find disagreements on which areas we should focus on.

For me a CB is important. Particularly as we only have one left footed CB in the squad, after that I'm not sure money is better spent there than elsewhere. Will depend on possible incomings and what incoming players will cost.

Free is interesting. There often seems to be an assumption that because a player is free at can sign them. There will be competition, and depending on wages, agent fees, bonuses etc free is not always free.

So three new starters? Two centre backs and a RWB? That's perhaps doable, but you'll find disagreements on which areas we should focus on.

For me a CB is important. Particularly as we only have one left footed CB in the squad, after that I'm not sure money is better spent there than elsewhere. Will depend on possible incomings and what incoming players will cost.

Free is interesting. There often seems to be an assumption that because a player is free at can sign them. There will be competition, and depending on wages, agent fees, bonuses etc free is not always free.
Right now we’re relying on Davies too much for my liking as we have no alternative and he has been very very good IMO

The defence since conte has joined has been one of the very best in the league
To defend you need organisation, structure and commitment. The second best defence in this league is at wolves yet now of their defence is getting in our side
Apart from Romero, they are all error prone. Our safety comes from numbers, 3 instead of 2 CBs and mostly weaker opponents with not much pressing or unable to capitalize. Chelsea exposed us at the back but they make mistakes almost every match. Our CBs are lacking în technique, ball control and coordination, even for defenders Standards, at this level they are rudimentary. Tanganga can't mark a man at set pieces to save his life. When Sanchez goes to kick the ball I just hope he hits it and the ball goes în the desired direction, while Davies and Dier have a mistake în them. Romero looks comfortable on the ball, doesnt give me palpitations.

We brought in 5 in the summer. If we are backing conte then brining in another 5 should be possible.

Apart from Romero, they are all error prone. Our safety comes from numbers, 3 instead of 2 CBs and mostly weaker opponents with not much pressing or unable to capitalize. Chelsea exposed us at the back but they make mistakes almost every match. Our CBs are lacking în technique, ball control and coordination, even for defenders Standards, at this level they are rudimentary. Tanganga can't mark a man at set pieces to save his life. When Sanchez goes to kick the ball I just hope he hits it and the ball goes în the desired direction, while Davies and Dier have a mistake în them. Romero looks comfortable on the ball, doesnt give me palpitations.

Chelsea didn't actually create a lot through all their pressure in those games imo (i think the xg will reflect that if anyone can be bothered to check) - what they did have was territorial advantage due to our weak central midfield and mindset going in to the game, which meant a lot of pressure in our final third

There are plenty of free players în the summer, I know competition will be fierce so I don't expect to get many. Looking at how Romero came into the last match, having another 2 like him would take the pressure out of the CMs and WBs too. While a great RWB can help with the attack and create superiority. There is that saying, it all starts at the back, no truers words have been spoken.

There are plenty of free players în the summer, I know competition will be fierce so I don't expect to get many. Looking at how Romero came into the last match, having another 2 like him would take the pressure out of the CMs and WBs too. While a great RWB can help with the attack and create superiority. There is that saying, it all starts at the back, no truers words have been spoken.

As much as the free players will be targeted, I think clubs with players with 12 months on their contracts will see players leaving for free and will want some sort of fee for them. That market will be busy as well.

Chelsea didn't actually create a lot through all their pressure in those games imo (i think the xg will reflect that if anyone can be bothered to check) - what they did have was territorial advantage due to our weak central midfield and mindset going in to the game, which meant a lot of pressure in our final third
If you are talking about the league game it was all în the line-up. Way to defensive and scared. I was talking about the first match for example, when we scored 2 own goals. Else where Tanganga getting owned by a League One player în the cup and easily by Rudi.ger at every corner. Davies costing us 2 points with Liverpool, Sanchez made plenty of mistakes that fortunately didn't cost us, so it was easier to forget. Dier had a couple of shockers too, gave the ball away în the final minutes of Southampton match(I think), couldve easily scored.

Last edited:
As much as the free players will be targeted, I think clubs with players with 12 months on their contracts will see players leaving for free and will want some sort of fee for them. That market will be busy as well.

Yep. Also clubs around europe have been hit hard by covid so will need to sell. Some still can't have full attendences. Think we'll see a lot of new faces in the prem next season.

If you are talking about the league game it was all în the line-up. Way to defensive and scared. I was talking about the first match for example, when we scored 2 own goals. Else where Tanganga getting owned by a League One player în the cup and easily by Rudi.ger at every corner. Davies costing us 2 points with Liverpool, Sanchez made plenty of mistakes that fortunately didn't cost us, so it was easier to forget. Dier had a couple of shockers too.

Tanganga is a back up player that i imagine Conte would be happy to have out on loan next season and will almost certainly see at least another player in front of him in the pecking order at the very least should he still be here next season. Dier, Davies and Sanchez have all been pretty solid under Conte and i think you're being overly critical of them - that said i expect to see a CB signed in the summer that will be expected to slot in to the first team, along with a CM & RWB

Yet the mistake yesterday was from Romero… he slipped over and they put Maupay in
Davies and Sanchez made none
I think it’s the baggage from previous history being used to judge a player now

Tanganga is a back up player that i imagine Conte would be happy to have out on loan next season and will almost certainly see at least another player in front of him in the pecking order at the very least should he still be here next season. Dier, Davies and Sanchez have all been pretty solid under Conte and i think you're being overly critical of them - that said i expect to see a CB signed in the summer that will be expected to slot in to the first team, along with a CM & RWB

I'd add a backup gk, preferably young english. And if we could find an upgrade on moura who can also play as a number 9 would be fantastic. Not knocking moura but would like more goals. Basically a right sided son.

Back