• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

He was decent. Feel he had a part in their goal tho. Went diving in and was out of position. Other than that very solid start in premier league.

He was decent. Feel he had a part in their goal tho. Went diving in and was out of position. Other than that very solid start in premier league.
The problem was the overload on the right, albeit Villa ‘cheated’ with two men up. Moura needed to switch on there.

Did you notice for Hojbjerg's goal, Mings was directly in line to block that shot, but instead he decided to race across behind his partner in case Hojbjerg passed to the unmarked Kane.

The problem was the overload on the right, albeit Villa ‘cheated’ with two men up. Moura needed to switch on there.
He still needs to be a bit smarter than to dive in. I do like his tenacity but there is a time where you hold tight and keep your shape.

He still needs to be a bit smarter than to dive in. I do like his tenacity but there is a time where you hold tight and keep your shape.
Yep, v fair point. The decision didn’t help, would’ve been another man in box to cut cross out.

Such a shame we didn’t go for Watkins last summer…

Him and Dier look like a pairing
They did vs Chelsea too
One sticks, one goes
The whole defence looked solid

My thoughts as well, he looked a composed player ( and lets be honest we have struggled to see much of that from our CBs over the last year or so) thought Dier looked well along side him as well. Promising signs going forward.

Defenders occasionally diving in adds variation and makes it difficult for the attack to move confidently.

Sanchez and Dier are two very passive CBs, too much time and too easy for attackers to anticipate how to shift the ball to get that split second for the strike.

Recall Verts and Toby... Verts was quite active committing at times but of course had Toby covering.
Et

Sent from my SM-G998B using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Those will happen with the way he plays. I'm confident that was well understood at the club when he was signed.

Mat change over time if we want him to adjust his style, but for me I think the upside of being that aggressive makes up for it. Puts responsibility on the deep midfielders and right back to slot in when he goes way up the pitch from time to time, but that's tolerable too I think.

Romero was outstanding. Invariably in the right place to block or head out. Constantly winding up Mings. Calm. Passed accurately the whole game. Wasn't it his long ball out down the left which got Son away to cross for the winner?
Think the long ball was Dier, but agree with everything you say.

Aggressive, but in control most of the time. Really difficult to get past or get the better of in a variety of one vs. one situations. Good impact on the ball. Brave, plays with purpose.

Needs to be the first CB on the team sheet for league games when available.

Those will happen with the way he plays. I'm confident that was well understood at the club when he was signed.

Mat change over time if we want him to adjust his style, but for me I think the upside of being that aggressive makes up for it. Puts responsibility on the deep midfielders and right back to slot in when he goes way up the pitch from time to time, but that's tolerable too I think.

An advantage of being that aggressive means we win the ball earlier, which gives the midfielders more space to work since the opposition are not set in a defensive block. It happened several times yesterday and was one of the reasons we were a lot more fluid.
We have to take risks in order to progress up the pitch, open teams up and create chances. Otherwise we'll forever be locked into sitting on 1 goal leads and surrendering possession.

Romero was outstanding. Invariably in the right place to block or head out. Constantly winding up Mings. Calm. Passed accurately the whole game. Wasn't it his long ball out down the left which got Son away to cross for the winner?

Very impressed by him, he seems to be cool in situations and does not really rush into dodgy tackles unless he has too, unlike some of our CBs over the last season or two.

He's a lot of fun to watch (and that's important:))

He's a head up, front foot defender, ready to snuff attacks out in a jiffy.

In the Mura game he was just cruising, thinking the whole thing was just a training exercise.

He'll get yellows, for sure, but as long as he knows how to walk that second yellow line, all will be good. He looks to be able to calculate such things.

It will be interesting to see him against the league's best. Watkins and Ings are no mugs and we had them pretty much under control Sunday.

Back