• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Ok Stef. I see what you mean on censorship. Still think Young was wrong to give Spotify the ultimatum because he disliked the views of someone else.

Misinformation is coming from all angles in this age. Even main stream media.

Fair enough mate, I can see how people could feel that way.

I don’t agree with Rohan’s views on covid but I strongly dislike people trying to cancel or de-platform him. Be interesting to see what happens if more high profile/hip artists like Taylor Swift or Adele follow Neil Young and threaten to leave Spotify.

Oh give me a break! Young knew Rogan wouldn’t be ‘de-platformed’ as Spotify have invested too much money in this hipster-alt-right dude to ditch him. It was a statement by Young. He wasn’t trying to ‘cancel’ him more than he was pointing out fudging idiotic it is to allow junk science to have such a megaphonic platform unopposed; thus his action. I am absolutely wary of some aspects of ‘cancel culture’ like many, however it does not (IMO) help when such conflations are made.

Oh give me a break! Young knew Rogan wouldn’t be ‘de-platformed’ as Spotify have invested too much money in this hipster-alt-right dude to ditch him. It was a statement by Young. He wasn’t trying to ‘cancel’ him more than he was pointing out fudging idiotic it is to allow junk science to have such a megaphonic platform unopposed; thus his action. I am absolutely wary of some aspects of ‘cancel culture’ like many, however it does not (IMO) help when such conflations are made.

Oh come on Steff. They’re trying to put pressure on Spotify to remove Rogan. They’re just doing it without explicitly asking them. I’ll say again, it’s quite puzzling how adults can’t actually be adult about things like this and switch it off or change the channel when they don’t like something. It has to be banned. It used to be the right who called to censor things. Now it’s the left. The left need to be better than that.

Oh come on Steff. They’re trying to put pressure on Spotify to remove Rogan. They’re just doing it without explicitly asking them. I’ll say again, it’s quite puzzling how adults can’t actually be adult about things like this and switch it off or change the channel when they don’t like something. It has to be banned. It used to be the right who called to censor things. Now it’s the left. The left need to be better than that.

Protest and statement are not calling for a ban. Please.

I think it is funny and quite sad that you see what Young has done as 'an attempt to ban and censor'...I can think of a few moments in modern history where a bit more protest and a little less 'changing the channel when you don't like something' might've eliminated some catastrophic crimes against humanity.

Protest and statement are not calling for a ban. Please.

I think it is funny and quite sad that you see what Young has done as 'an attempt to ban and censor'...I can think of a few moments in modern history where a bit more protest and a little less 'changing the channel when you don't like something' might've eliminated some catastrophic crimes against humanity.

Protesting is fine, everyone should have the right to do it. Young said “choose me or Rogan, not both”. He could have just said I’m withdrawing my music as I don’t want to be associated with Rogan. Fair enough, he has the choice to NOT have his music on the same platform. Rogan isn’t spreading disinformation, IIRC he said young people don’t necessarily need to have the vaccine. I disagree with him strongly on that, but it’s his right to have an opinion. He has vaccine and science skeptics on his show and should do more to challenge them but that’s not the same as actively spreading false information as it’s claimed he is doing. I just think we are going down a dangerous path if we start de-platforming people because others disagree with their views or find them offensive, it’s too vague Steff. Where does it stop? Should Twitter remove Owen Jones because he constantly puts down the UK and Winston Churchill and people find his views objectionable? I think Jones is a sanctimonious taco but I don’t want him to be censored either.

Protesting is fine, everyone should have the right to do it. Young said “choose me or Rogan, not both”. He could have just said I’m withdrawing my music as I don’t want to be associated with Rogan. Fair enough, he has the choice to NOT have his music on the same platform. Rogan isn’t spreading disinformation, IIRC he said young people don’t necessarily need to have the vaccine. I disagree with him strongly on that, but it’s his right to have an opinion. He has vaccine and science skeptics on his show and should do more to challenge them but that’s not the same as actively spreading false information as it’s claimed he is doing. I just think we are going down a dangerous path if we start de-platforming people because others disagree with their views or find them offensive, it’s too vague Steff. Where does it stop? Should Twitter remove Owen Jones because he constantly puts down the UK and Winston Churchill and people find his views objectionable? I think Jones is a sanctimonious taco but I don’t want him to be censored either.

We continue to differ on our definitions of 'censorship' versus 'protest'...with regards to opinions v facts, I think it is very important that people make sure they know the difference. Too many opinions get heard as facts, which is simply not always the case.

We continue to differ on our definitions of 'censorship' versus 'protest'...with regards to opinions v facts, I think it is very important that people make sure they know the difference. Too many opinions get heard as facts, which is simply not always the case.

Rogan has acted like a bit of a caveman during the pandemic with his views on masks. I don’t listen to or watch his podcasts as often as I used to since he moved to Spotify (I used to watch most of them on YouTube) but from what I have seen and read from him, he hasn’t passed off any of his views as facts. He has said some things which have turned out to be incorrect but he has very quickly admitted he was wrong. And to be blunt, whilst Rogan is quite an influential voice, if you are getting your scientific and immunology advice from him then you really need to have a look at yourself.

Re protest v censorship, I’d suggest going on his show and debating with him is a far more grown up way of dealing with people who disagree with you than subtly trying to get a company to de-platform someone as @Lilbaz said

It’s not just being debated in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-58842159

The language and themes are undoubtedly difficult, but it needs to continue to be read within its new context.

Can understand it for kids. Change the word to something more acceptable. But (i can't remember what book it was) stripping books of awards because they have racist terms in them is wrong. When they were written over 100 years ago.

Anyway covid.

Edit - little house on the prarie. The author got stripped of her award. What's the fudging point? She's been dead for decades.

Back